Group Intro's!

Options
MsSaturday
MsSaturday Posts: 89 Member
Hey, I thought it might be nice to start with a little intro.

I've been raising my own animals for the last two years, we had goats, now we have rabbits and chickens, I have been gardening for the last three years and I love it, I don't know if I'll ever go back to buying my produce from a grocery store,lol. I am thinking about adding a dairy goat to the mix and trying my hand at cheese making :)
I preserve and can, I knit and do hand embroidery, paint when I have the time, I love this whole simple life idea.

Replies

• PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm learning how to knit :) I made one scarf thus far...in one stitch that I don't know the name of....and can't seem to grasp any new stitches very well...I t doesn't look like the YouTube videos I watched!!! LOL
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    fun! I learned to knit from a book, I'm left handed so those you-tube video's I watched just confused the heck out of me. lol Once you get going scarves make great Christmas gifts,lol. Andddd I can make em while I watch t.v. at night.
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hello! I own a fish farm with my partner. We have dairy goats, chickens, ducks, pigs, and are boarding 2 alpacas (I get some of the wool). We have a few gardens and fruit trees/plants. We also grow a variety of medicinal herbs.

My partner is working on building things for the home. She was a chef, but now is doing carpentry work and does most of the farm animal care taking. I was a professional baker -- now just baking for us and our 5 children. We cook everything from scratch. Next year we want to grown some of our own grains. We can/dehydrate/freeze all that we can. I can't wait until we are completely off the system.

I am in the midst of learning to spin wool, which is quite fun. I have also been reviving my knitting and sewing skills. I did make cheese in the past and will be trying it again after the goats kid in the spring.

About 5 years ago I was a traditional suburban mom. This has been a process/evolution of learning and trying things.

The next thing to learn is soap making! I can't wait. I am a bit nervous, thus it has taken me a while to start the process of learning. I have everything here -- looking at me -- waiting for me to start. Sigh.

We heat solely with wood.

It's cool to see this group!
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    Oh my goodness Emme727! That all sounds amazing!! I hope someday I can get even half that far into being self sufficient! I love your pic btw, Chicken tennis or rooster protection? lol!!

I met a women who had dairy goats and made her own cheese and soap, amazing products, and so much better than store bought. I believe she also had lambs for wool. I envy that much drive, you gal's must be very hard workers, but I know its worth every minute. I'm stuck on the small scale at the moment but maybe one day I can expand the process.

Its funny to think how much our lives can change in just 5 years right? 5 years ago I lived in the suburbs too, with my perfect house, perfect child, husband, 2 dogs, was able to wear high heels every day and never went with out my mani/pedis.... now i'm happy w/ my perfect daughter, 1 dog, country house, and my rubber boots. LOL
    Serious downsizing, I like to think I lost 180 pounds in a flash ;) now I'm happy to sit in my little house, where I currently have a temp brooder on my coffee table full of chicks instead of expensive vases full of flowers.

welcome to the group!!
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness Emme727! That all sounds amazing!! I hope someday I can get even half that far into being self sufficient! I love your pic btw, Chicken tennis or rooster protection? lol!!

I met a women who had dairy goats and made her own cheese and soap, amazing products, and so much better than store bought. I believe she also had lambs for wool. I envy that much drive, you gal's must be very hard workers, but I know its worth every minute. I'm stuck on the small scale at the moment but maybe one day I can expand the process.

Its funny to think how much our lives can change in just 5 years right? 5 years ago I lived in the suburbs too, with my perfect house, perfect child, husband, 2 dogs, was able to wear high heels every day and never went with out my mani/pedis.... now i'm happy w/ my perfect daughter, 1 dog, country house, and my rubber boots. LOL
    Serious downsizing, I like to think I lost 180 pounds in a flash ;) now I'm happy to sit in my little house, where I currently have a temp brooder on my coffee table full of chicks instead of expensive vases full of flowers.

welcome to the group!!

Thanks for the welcome!
    My 7 year old was playing tennis with apples for the chickens to chase. It was actually interesting... he would hit an apple and the chickens would have to go check it out. It was cheap entertainment all around.

I think that it is important is to like what you do and really desire to learn/live a certain way and take the baby steps until you are doing what you want. For me, the first step was learning to can. Then I learned to grow plants from seed. Then male mozzarella cheese.... I love knowing that I can make what I want with my own hands. What we can't make, we reexamine to see if we truly need. I do not miss my old life. ;) LOL.

I'm jealous of your chicken brooder! What types are your raising?
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    oh cute! lol, apple tennis

I totally agree, since I've started growing/making most of our foods I've learned I didn't need a lot of things, and I have noticed I don't even feel it necessary to buy as many material objects, I love the fact that I don't feel attached to as many items anymore.

I have 3 plymouth barred rock hens, 1 black austrolorp hen, 2 black austrolorp roosters, and 1 new hampshire red rooster (who's a little behind development wise).... so I gathered eggs waited till I had 30 and put them in the incubator, so they are mystery crosses, they all look pretty similar, only 14 out of 30 hatched and 2 died. never again will I set eggs in November, lol but I wanted them to be laying in the spring, my sister and I both have too many roosters and not enough hens. And in these cooler months we aren't getting hardly any eggs, and of course every one wants eggs when you have none. lol
  • lyknscribe
    Options
    I have been looking all over for a group like this! You guys are exactly what I have been looking for! My name is Christy and I am 24 years old. I have a beautiful two year old son and while I love him a completely unsupportive husband. He wants to go to walmart and thinks everything I do is a waste of time. I'm hoping eventually he will come around but in the case he doesn't - I've decided to stop waiting on him and go it alone.

I am a crafter by nature and Love home made things. I am learning to crochet and made a scarf and little purse for my baby cousin. I have done a great deal of family history and I am completely blown away at how much simpler life was back then. People took a pride in their work, and I want to do the same.

I have spent most of my life trying to keep up with a world I didn't like in the first place. I was never a partier and I got more enjoyment of laying on the large rock behind our barn and watching the horses run then going to any concert. I don't know why I spent all thoes years trying to be something I wasnt.

I was raised with a deep respect for nature and I want my son to feel the same.

I no longer buy meat in the stores - I hunt deer the meat is leaner and much healthier - no growth hormones uck.

I am prepareing to set up my first decent sized garden and am looking for all the suggestions I can get.I hope to can what is left over.

I am also in the process of putting a coop in my wooded area for a few chickens, I'm thinking Rode Island Reds, but I might go with white leghorns. I'm only looking for hens right now because my neighbors are also unsuportive and I doubt a rooster will help lol

I really hope you are an active group because this looks like the support I've been looking for!

Here is my blog where I have recently started puting some crafts up
    http://craftychristyblog.blogspot.com/
    Such as hollow books
    wreaths
    crocheting
    etc
  • LadyMali
    LadyMali Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Lori and I was raised in the Los Angeles area so never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would someday grow myself anything to eat. I now raise sheep and alpaca for the wool which I have successfully learned to process myself. I also raise dairy goats and enjoy the benefits of raw goat's milk to drink, make cheese, soap, and luscious lotions. I also have a modest garden where I grow some vegetables but I haven't mastered getting a bumper crop yet. This is something I am still learning. I small piece of land I live on grows several fruits. There are raspberries, pears, Italian plums, two varieties of apples, currants, cherries and strawberries. Needless to say my basement is shelved with homemade, jams, jellies, syrups, viniagrettes, flavored liqueurs and assorted canned vegetables.

I am new to MFP and am starting on a weight loss journey that is way overdue. I am looking forward to learning from you all, encouraging each other, and sharing recipes.

Nice to meet you all!
    Lori
  • lyknscribe
    Options
    It's wonderful to meet you! Sounds like you've come a long way from LA - And what a great journey it must have been! I wish I had to land to keep hooved animals...and the nieghbours not so lcose. I've thought about moving but I know my husband wouldn't support the move - let alone the reasons for it. I am trying to convenice my father to let me put some alpaca or sheep at his place where my horses used to be. It's wonderful that you make soap and lotions, thats actually something I've thought about doing.

As per the goat milk does it not need to be pasturized, or is it a personal choice?

I hope we can all help each other in our choice to become more healthy as well as the lifestyles we are trying to carve out for each other.
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    Hi Ladies!!
    I'm so glad you found the group! It sounds like you both have some very neat and interesting things going on!

Lori I'm shopping for dairy goats at the moment what kind do you have? i'm leaning toward mini nubians, hoping i can get some opinions on them before i jump in, lol

Christy- I bet that husband comes around when he see's the quality of your hard work can't be found in the stores. keep it up girlie!

Welcome to the group!!
  • lyknscribe
    Options
    Thanks I hope so!

I'm thinking of bringing in some goats or sheep to my fathers house since he is completely against alpaca :-( , My issue is I'm a horse person, I've had chickens and ducks and equines all my life - but goats, sheep, etc...are all new - suggestions?
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    LOL, we had boer goats last year. they're meat goats, unless you want them for meat I'd go with nubian or saan for dairy. and polled is a matter of preference, I like polled (hornless) b/c i didn't enjoy the horn trimming process. really low maintenance animals though, as long as you aren't showing them. their hooves need to be trimmed every now and again and wormed every now and again. You'll love any kind you get, they have wonderful senses of humor! lol
  • LadyMali
    Options
    Pasteurization is a matter of choice. I don't pasteurize milk for personal use but I have a couple of ladies who purchase milk from me and they choose to pasteurize.
  • LadyMali
    Options
    Lori I'm shopping for dairy goats at the moment what kind do you have? i'm leaning toward mini nubians, hoping i can get some opinions on them before i jump in, lol

I happen to have a mix of goats because my daughter started out in 4H with Oberhaslis cross because they are on the smaller side of the large breeds and because they are so easy going. She bred her with a LaMancha and got the most loving 75% LaMancha doe who will be bred this year to a full blood LaMancha buck. We wouldn't trade her for anything. Of the two mom is the better milker but daughter is the better goat. My daughter broke down and worked off a pure bred Nubian who is a bit nervous but still a lot of fun and very beautiful. She won some awards at the fair. She is off being bred for her first time so I don't know what kind of milker she will be. Nubians are know for being loud and high strung. They are supposed to have high butterfat but I think that is really up to how they are fed and not the breed. LaMancha's are known to be easy going and loving and that has been true for us. My girls average almost 2 gallons of milk a day during peak production and slow down late summer and into breeding season. We are milking mom through this year. No babies for her. We have two boys that we taking hiking with us all the time. One is a medium size Toggenburg and the other is a rather large Alpine. They are both lovable and fun.

I truly love my goats. I can't imagine my world without them for more reasons than one. Even on a frosty morning milking is a bonding experience for the doe and me.
  • LadyMali
    Options
    Thanks I hope so!

I'm thinking of bringing in some goats or sheep to my fathers house since he is completely against alpaca :-( , My issue is I'm a horse person, I've had chickens and ducks and equines all my life - but goats, sheep, etc...are all new - suggestions?

As for suggestions I would just say that I have both sheep and goats. I enjoy the sheep but I love the goats. It all depends on what you want. A bottle fed doe who provides milk for your family becomes part of the family. She thinks of you as mom and enjoys every minute you spend with her regardless of weather you bring food with your or not. Sheep are really just there. They like for you to come outside but they don't love you unless you have a feed bucket. The exception to that rule are the Shetland sheep. Now my Shetland ewe thinks she is king of the pen and she enjoys every minute we spend with her. Sheep are not as easy to get attached to so they are great meat animals. I always seem to get attached to the goats and hate to see them go anyplace except a friendly home. If it is wool you are looking for then Shetlands have wonderful primative wool that is easy to work with. Alpaca is best of course. Alpaca are pretty easy to take care of and as far as animals go they are not hard on fences or the land. They actually poop in one spot so you can pick it up and use it in your garden very easy. I actually pick it up and sell it by the bucket to people who ask.

I hope my info helped a little.
  • MsSaturday
    Options
    LadyMali, that is some great advice! I never knew that about alpacas! wish they all pooped in one place, when our goats were here I'd rake or get the kids to rake the pen every other Saturday and dump it all in the garden. I agree whole heartedly with your statement about loving the goats, those critters have so much personality. I had one that loved I mean really loved the will barrow every time we had it in the pen she would jump in and would refuse to get out until dinner time. She would love it when the kids would give her a ride in it. lol
  • SarzWix
    SarzWix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :smile: I'm Sarah, I live in Yorkshire, in the UK.

I've been growing my own food for nearly 6 years now, and learning all the old ways of preservation. Canning isn't a big thing here, so I had to import a canner from the US to be able to that, and I just love it! There's nothing like having your pantry and freezer filled with the fruits of your labour :happy:

Anyway, I broke my ankle really badly a couple of years ago, and had to have 3 lots of surgery to fix it, meaning nearly 12 months of gardening from a chair. After that my thyroid went a bit wrong, and so I have a lot of extra weight to get rid of... Thankfully, gardening burns a lot of cals., so hopefully I'll be back in shape soon.

We don't have any livestock - our patch of land is rented from our district council who don't allow any livestock :grumble: but I dream of chickens and a couple of sheep. Maybe a cow. And a wind turbine. And some solar panels...

PS. John Seymour is my role model - anyone else love his books?

Nice to meet you all :smile:
  • jenniferfiedler
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Jenni and I am 23. I have been married to Owen for little over 1 year. We farm in Butte, ND. We raise both crops and cattle. We have a dog and several cats. I enjoy keeping a house and cooking. When we have a little time to ourselves, we love to go hiking. I enjoy kayaking. And go out with my dog at least once a week. I also keep a 1500 sq ft garden. Planning on expanding it to 3000 sq ft in the next 2 years. I love canning pickles and tomatoes. I also love making my own cards and other paper crafts.

You can add me as a friend if you would like. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Hey to all!
    I've got my little piece of land where I garden, and keep looking for heritage breeds to raise. Dexter cattle already fill the freezer, trying to get my hands on some Chantecler chickens (Canadian breed devloped about 100 years ago that is cold hardy and supposed to keep laying... we'll see... my Rhode Islands did a fine job laying through the winter for my own uses).
    Raspberries should be producing this year, blueberries could be another 3-4 years for real output, Rhubarb is well established, strawberries only time will tell if the weird winter we had let them over-winter or if I have to start fresh.
    I've got to rework some of the out-buildings and in doing so will be giving them a "roof" make-over for rain-water catchment, there's enough roof to at least supplement the garden items that need the moisture.

Having raised pigs I'm holding off this year on them while I figure out a better system to water them, pig nipples feature heavily in what I see... pans of water they just over-turned in the mud making the yard mucky ALL the time... But they will be back, I like using them to expand the garden.. just fence off the area that I plan to expand to, let the pigs in and root around.... putting the fence up was less work than turning the earth myself ;)

Definitely adding vermi-composting to the plans, and interested in fish-farming, that may go in as part of an aqua-ponics system, I sure don't like paying the retail prices for the fish they sell.

That's it for now, looking forward to learning from all ;)
  • jenniferfiedler
    Options
    Pandorian:

Image: http://www.vittetoe.com/images/2327.jpg

This could help with your pig water problem. I had some friends growing up that raised pigs for 4-H and this is what they did at home and at shows. The pen will stay a little dryer. :)