Rick Perry attacks homosexuality in new ad

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
I just saw this today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA

Transcript for those who can't see it at work:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.
As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage.
Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again.
I'm Rick Perry and I approve this message.

L'sigh...

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! ... ... ... OMG!!! i have no words. that never happens to me.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I can't watch that at work.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am so ashamed that the idiots in my state keep re-electing this jerk. And I really can't stand the pretend argument that our kids can't celebrate Christmas or pray. YES, THEY CAN. They just can't force everyone else to do it, too.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    What normal folks would consider unimaginably rude behavior is politically referred to as "playing to the conservative base."

Seriously I hope he has sons that fall desperately in love with 6'7" Puerto Rican drag queens.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

I watched this and just shook my head and wondered what this world would be like if more people who referred to themselves as Christians and conservatives would spend the time and energy they do on gay bashing on taking care of the sick, poor, and elderly (y'know like Christ did... that guy they call the messiah).
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I watched this and just shook my head and wondered what this world would be like if more people who referred to themselves as Christians and conservatives would spend the time and energy they do on gay bashing on taking care of the sick, poor, and elderly (y'know like Christ did... that guy they call the messiah).

"I like your Christ. I wish your Christians were more like him" -Ghandi.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

"I like your Christ. I wish your Christians were more like him" -Ghandi.

I like that quote from Ghandi. I don't mean to say all Christians are hypocrites when it comes to caring for others and being Christ-like, but many of them spend billions (as a group) to deny gay rights and on other hatemongering activities. Imagine the good they could do spending that money on feeding children or helping poor veterans find shelter and comfort.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    UGHHHH! I'm so freaking annoyed.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    UGH and he's been our governor for eons :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.
    As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against liberal attacks on our religious heritage.

L'sigh...
    I'm not even going to watch that clip, reading the transcript is bad enough. Does he think it's 1811 instead of 2011?

I am honestly lost for words :noway:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

L'sigh...

I can't watch at work, but I read the transcript. This is why I don't argue politics with people any more. Because there's no arguing against that. ^^ I will only argue if both sides are coming from a rational place based in reality.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Stolen from another forum, loved it:

Yeah, because of the two groups, gays and Christians, it's the Christians who have fewer rights in this country!

ETA: Oh this idiot is turning into a comedy goldmine! Please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrI3F7p6-o&feature=player_embedded
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    ETA: Oh this idiot is turning into a comedy goldmine! Please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrI3F7p6-o&feature=player_embedded
    Beat me to it! Was coming here to post same vid. It's good, huh?
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Beat me to it! Was coming here to post same vid. It's good, huh?

I think I watched it 3 times. SO funny!
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My parents and I giggled the whole time.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    What normal folks would consider unimaginably rude behavior is politically referred to as "playing to the conservative base."

Seriously I hope he has sons that fall desperately in love with 6'7" Puerto Rican drag queens.

LOL. Amen to that!
  • chatdude
    Options
    Rick Perry is still living in the stone age unfortunately. Remember when he had his brain freeze moment lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvmKnFY4uk

For those who dont view. Basically Perry starts off his rant saying if he gets into office hes going to immediately axe 3 agencies of govt. He looks Ron Paul in the eyes as he begins to list "commerce, education, and err uh uh..." Yep. Brain Freeze!
    At this point Paul laughs at him and then gets gets frustrated with his incompetence and holds up 5 fingers and says "no its 5" as in slash more govt you dummy. Everyone laughs at perry who tries going off on a quick EPA tangent before being asked if he can remember the 3 agencies he wants to axe. At this point all he can get is "education." He has to be helped with commerce and dept of energy. Double brain freeze.

It's funny how guys like Perry can even be a viable candidate. I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you how govt and libs waste tons of money yet here we are in the AP dallas news:

"With the state facing a budget shortfall of at least $11 billion, Texas Gov. Rick Perry has spent almost $600,000 in public money during the past two years to live in a sprawling rental home in the hills above the capital, according to records obtained by The Associated Press."

Either hes got permanent brain freeze or he knows nothing about God in my opinion. His sad pampering of himself and own sense of mega-ego is exactly what jesus wasn't. Jesus treated all folks nice, wasn't into materialism, and hung on the cross to show people not to be a bunch of wimps because you'll reincarnate again and "live" again. Life is cyclical just like the rest of nature shows us. Cyclical. Just like the 4 seasons. Just like womens periods. Like alot of stuff we see appearing again and again in life. Rick Perry doesn't even get the real message in his own religion but he wants to lead the free world.

I'll get off my soap box now, but its hard to find alot of positive things to say when a guy feels he deserves such a high honor yet displays:

1) Lack of the same level of respect for others as he himself demands
    2) Brain Freeze during important debates
    3) Lack of understanding of his own supposed belief system
  • david581c
    Options
    I guess it's messed up when there's an actual base audience for this kinda stuff.

Midwest is almost like another planet to me, here in Southern California you have everyone of every kind celebrating really whatever they want. my neighbors have a pride flag, american flag, and christmas decorations and cherry on top is Im pretty sure the purple heart on their license plate was given to one of em. not sure which one. they're both always limping :]

more to the point, Rick Perry seems like some cross between Dubya and Brick from Anchorman
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Makes me glad that I live in the UK :wink:

Oh, I know we also have politicians with similar views in the UK, but they'd never ever get the country-wide platform to espouse such crapola.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Bleh. I saw this floating around on facebook. I wasn't planning on voting for Perry anyway, but this pretty much sealed the deal.