An informal poll...

Options
CaptainMFP
CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
So most of you know what I do for a living (at least kinda sorta) so I have a work related project that may be of interest. As a community college professor my specialty invariably is teaching about biology, so I spend a lot of time thinking about what helps more students learn more effectively. In this respect, my bread-and-butter is case study-based teaching. That is, using real (or real-ish) examples to illustrate the concepts I'm teaching in an effort to help students see the relevance of the material and achieve greater ownership of knowledge through interactive problem-solving rather than listening to me drone on and on ad nauseum.

I say all of this because I will be teaching cell biology using a full-semester case study on obesity and health management. The units as I see them are as follows:
(1) Nutrition and Diet (to address basic chemical principles, water chemistry, carbs, lipids, and proteins)
(2) DNA History (an aside looking at nucleic acids in historical context)
(3) Nutrient Absorption (to cover cell structure and membrane transport)
(4) Hormonal Control of Metabolism (to cover cell signaling and gene expression)
(5) Energy, Diet and Fitness (to cover cellular respiration and photosynthesis)
(6) Heritability, Obesity, and Cancer (to cover genetics and cell division)

I'm going to be developing the case units in the next month loosely based on my own experiences with weight loss (embellished as needed). So here is the question: Who would be interested in seeing these materials and possibly working through them on here? (No, you are not getting course credit!)

If there is enough interest, I may start a running post within this group to share the lessons. Note that this class does not begin until the end of January, so nothing is going to start before then...but if I know I have an audience here then I'm more likely to fully develop the materials to share. Food for thought. Please reply only if you are interested...I'll do a count of responses before Christmas and announce whether or not I'm doing this before January 1.

Cheers!
Cap

Replies

• jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sure wish it couldnt for course credit LOL I'm taking Biolog next semester and would much rather take your class!! I would like it!
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Me! I joined the group just to reply to this. Didn't know it existed before.
  • staroftheeast
    staroftheeast Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Count me in.

Thanks for all you do to get accurate information out .
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested, but my attention might wax and wane depending on how busy I am at work. So maybe count me as a half vote? :P
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    A vote for yes here!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    :love: *HERE! :glasses: *ME! :bigsmile: *I AM INTERESTED!
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yes :3
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Count me in, hoss.
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It sounds fabulous. Wish I could take the class, but I'm a little too old for that. Glad to be a guinea pig, though. :)
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    Options
    Count me in! Sounds interesting.
  • mom12
    mom12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great opportunity! I am definitely interested! molly

:smile:
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Definetly! Knowledge is power and a free education is better than a free lunch!
  • betam
    betam Posts: 16
    Options
    I would be interested!!!
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Count me in
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm interested.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Me too! I took Cell Bio back in the day and it would be great to rattle my brain again! :happy:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'd definitely want the information....thanks for the offer. I hope you decide to do it!
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    MEMEME! I think that would be so amazing if you were generous enough to share.
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    I'm going to be developing the case units in the next month loosely based on my own experiences with weight loss (embellished as needed). So here is the question: Who would be interested in seeing these materials and possibly working through them on here? (No, you are not getting course credit!)

If there is enough interest, I may start a running post within this group to share the lessons.

Ooo-oo-oo! (Waving frantically a la Horseshack) !!!