Infants/Toddlers with Pierced Ears

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
QUESTION: Should parents be allowed to take their children to Claire's or wherever to have their ears pierced?

I say no. A piercing is something that should be consented to, and there is just no real reason other than selfish interest for parents to put holes through their kids' ears.

Replies

• futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should, either. My mom wouldn't let me have my ears pierced until I was old enough to make the decision on my own.. and she did the same thing with my younger sisters. I think the child should actually be aware of what a piercing is and then be able to choose whether or not it's something that they want.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My cousin got her daughter's ears pierced when she was just an infant. I didn't necessarily agree with that, but I don't think lobe piercing is all that dramatic. I don't see it was "mutilating" your kid or anything. I think she'll be ok. :wink:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I find this to be a cultural thing for some. Our daughter didn't get hers pierced until she requested it, which was 1st grade. I take issue with the parents who have it done, then allow it to get infected.

What are your thoughts on parents allowing their elementary or middle school aged boys to pierce their ears?
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on parents allowing their elementary or middle school aged boys to pierce their ears?
    That really irks me. It's weird. I think the ear piercing shouldn't be done on a girl until she's old enough to ask for it AND take care of it herself. For boys - just no. My boys are 11 and 14 and if either of them wanted their ear(s) pierced I'd say no.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to metal, even the hypoallergenic stuff. So is my Mom and Grandma. I can't have piercings in my ears because of this. Stands to reason that my children are very likely allergic as well, so I won't pierce their ears. However, I don't see it as mean or vain, so if other parents want to do it to their children, I have no objection. Ear piercings aren't exactly "risque". Now, if they want to pierce their bellybuttons or tongues.... that's another story.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I always assumed it was a cultural thing, but now that I think about it... it might have just been a family thing. My grandma pierced all of her daughters and granddaughters ears when we were babies. I've never gotten another piercing (neither has anyone else in my family). We all had a pair of gold studs, and that was that. Never a big stigma around piercings in my family, but maybe that's the difference between growing up with something or wanting something you're not allowed to have..
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I waited until my oldest wanted it done. She was in the second grade. She HATED me for it for a solid year - no joke. She cried and cried every time I needed to clean or change the earrings. She kept begging me to let them grow back. I maybe should have let her but I figured at some point she would want them redone and she already went through the worst part so I made her ride it out. She LOVES them now and is very into her earrings.
    So when my second girl was born, I took her for her 1st birthday and got them done. She was upset for a few minutes and then got over it. Shes 3 now and really into her earrings too.
    I felt like anything under one was too little. They spend so much time laying on their heads and it just seemed like a bad idea. She was old enough at one to sit for me to change them and pick new ones, etc....
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what other people do to their kids' ears, but I don't agree with it. I won't be piercing my daughter's ears until she's old enough to ask for it and care for them on her own. I don't believe in piercing through her flesh solely for aesthetic purposes.

That said, I really wish people would avoid places like Claire's if/when they get their kid's ears pierced. Those guns are NOT sterile (There's parts in the gun you cannot sterilized adequately just due to how it's made), and rather than pierce cleanly through the flesh like an actual piercing needle would, they tear and rip through the flesh.

When my daughter decides if she wants it done, we'll be going to reputable place that will do it in a more sterile way and with better tools.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i think its tacky and chavvy.

I like piercings in general, but as an informed choice. I dont agree with piercing babies ears at all. Its a pet hate of mine, along with high heels on kids
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it's a problem for boys to get their ears pierced? You only think it's for girls because society tells you it is. Just like the colour pink, blue, etc. I think gender roles are so silly.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options
    I wouldn't really say it's "mutilating" the kid, I just honestly think it's stupid. What if the kid doesn't want her ears pierced? To me it's kind of like treating a baby as an accessory - why cause pain for something that isn't necessary, you just think it looks nice? Just wait til the kid is old enough to want them.

I have no issue with boys getting their ears pierced - I don't even really see why it's an issue. They wouldn't really give a second thought to get their daughters' ears pierced, why is it different for a son?
  • macpatti
    Options
    I don't see why it's a problem for boys to get their ears pierced? You only think it's for girls because society tells you it is. Just like the colour pink, blue, etc. I think gender roles are so silly.

We have 4 boys and a girl. The boys are not allowed to pierce their ears, not allowed to have long hair, and not allowed to get tattoos while living under our roof. Our daughter has pierced ears and very long hair, but will not be permitted to get a tattoo while living at home either. I realize society dictates certain things, but you can either adhere, or spite yourself trying to make a point to society. This is what works for us in our home.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

We have 4 boys and a girl. The boys are not allowed to pierce their ears, not allowed to have long hair, and not allowed to get tattoos while living under our roof. Our daughter has pierced ears and very long hair, but will not be permitted to get a tattoo while living at home either. I realize society dictates certain things, but you can either adhere, or spite yourself trying to make a point to society. This is what works for us in our home.

Out of my own curiosity, can I ask why you don't allow piercings and long hair for boys and tattoos for both genders?

Edited to Add: Also, I don't really see how going against traditional gender roles is "spiting yourself", but maybe thats' just me?
  • macpatti
    Options
    Out of my own curiosity, can I ask why you don't allow piercings and long hair for boys and tattoos for both genders?

Edited to Add: Also, I don't really see how going against traditional gender roles is "spiting yourself", but maybe thats' just me?

Well, both of our oldest boys attended a college prep for high school. They weren't allowed pierced ears or long hair at their school anyway. While they're living with us, we want them clean cut. Appearances make a difference when applying to colleges, grad school, or jobs. We don't want them closing any doors before they even know what they want to do. Now, if one of them decides to be a musician and long hair, pierced ears, and tattoos won't affect their career, then that's fine. What I mean by "spiting yourself" is that we can say "screw society" because appearances shouldn't matter, but then you can just be costing yourself a job you may really want.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

Well, both of our oldest boys attended a college prep for high school. They weren't allowed pierced ears or long hair at their school anyway. While they're living with us, we want them clean cut. Appearances make a difference when applying to colleges, grad school, or jobs. We don't want them closing any doors before they even know what they want to do. Now, if one of them decides to be a musician and long hair, pierced ears, and tattoos won't affect their career, then that's fine. What I mean by "spiting yourself" is that we can say "screw society" because appearances shouldn't matter, but then you can just be costing yourself a job you may really want.

Understandable - your house, your rules. You're definitely right, while appearances shouldn't matter, they often do. Thankfully, a lot of things can be covered up in the workplace - piercings can be replaced with clear retainers when needed and tattoos can be covered up, but I do see your point.

My parents are pretty anti-tattoo (it's the Jew thing), so I am waiting until I leave their house/am financially independent to get one myself, out of respect for them.
  • macpatti
    Options
    My parents are pretty anti-tattoo (it's the Jew thing), so I am waiting until I leave their house/am financially independent to get one myself, out of respect for them.

That's the way to do it! My 24 year old is out of college and supports himself so he can do what he wants. He's still pretty clean cut, but he has a corporate job, so I suspect he'll stay that way. We have a sophomore in college, but he's not the type to want any of that anyway. Our 3rd son who is a senior in high school will probably be the one with a tattoo as soon as he's out on his own. Not sure he'll want his ear pierced, but I can see a tattoo. Once he's off our payroll, he can do what he wants!
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    awww little boys with long hair are so cute though
  • macpatti
    Options

Some of them sure are! I've seen some adorable little skater dudes or surfer types. Most of the time it appears to be the parents living through their kids, though.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I personally can't stand to see babies and toddlers with ear piercings. A lot of my friends kids have them, but I still don't like it. Their kids, though, so their choice. I just don't see causing pain (people can say what they want...each time mine were pierced, they HURT!) to a child that small that has absolutely no choice in the matter, and most likely doesn't even care about earrings to want them in the first place. I also would think it's a health and safety hazard, since kids have no qualms with getting dirty anywhere and everywhere, tugging at stuff, etc.

I also second what Poisongirl said--DO NOT TAKE YOUR KIDS TO CLAIRE'S/ICING/PIERCING PAGODA/ETC. Anywhere that uses a gun...DO NOT GO THERE! Those places are highly unsafe, and half of the time, their "piercing artists" aren't even licensed. We had a big issue with that for me on my 12th birthday--I really wanted my ears pierced, so my mom took me to Claire's (my mom has never had any piercings, so we didn't know about the risks with the guns)...it got infected, even though we did everything we were told to do. One morning they were fine, the next, I'm at the hospital and they had to be surgically removed from my ears. They were never put in correctly, apparently, and we later found out that the girl who did them was not licensed to do so. Big mistake on our part, for thinking that such a simple procedure wouldn't have those kinds of consequences. Any licensed, SAFE, professional piercing artist/establishment will use a needle, not the stupid gun.

As for boys with pierced ears...my personal preference: I don't find it very appealing, physically, but that is just me. It's all up to individual preference. I'm not a fan of piercings in general, though. If I had kids and they wanted piercings, I'd let them, within reason. Certainly wouldn't let some creep-o pierce a teenagers genitalia...but ears, anything on the face, that'd all be fine with me. Same with hair. Whatever they wanted is fine with me. I was a creative teenager, and still am a creative person, when it comes to my hair and stuff, so I'd feel very hypocritical telling any child of mine that they can't. Tattoos, ehh. Kids and teenagers...and even adults...change their minds so much. What they're into at 13 isn't what they'll be into at 16, or 18, or 21, or 25, or 30, etc. They're a little more "serious." I'd leave that up to them when they're legal adults. :laugh: I'm a fan of tattoos, though, so if when they were legal adults, I'd be okay with it. I'm also all for tattoo acceptance in the workplace. I remember a classmate of mine, he's got tattoos covering both arms and legs. We live in Florida, so he usually wore shorts and t-shirts to class. He's studying to be an English teacher, and an adviser actually had the nerve to tell him "You can't be a teacher with those, so you may want to consider switching majors." To prove that adviser wrong, he came to the next class and wore dress pants and a dress shirt...what he'd wear if he were already a teacher...and looking at him then, no tattoos were visible. No one would ever know he had them. :tongue:
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options

Some of them sure are! I've seen some adorable little skater dudes or surfer types. Most of the time it appears to be the parents living through their kids, though.

goes both way doesnt it. Forcing a child to have short back and sides if he wants a more relaxed style could be seen as living through your children. Most people i guess are going to dress their children in a way they think looks nice. My sons got long blond curly hair. Im not living through him, i just think it looks sweet so i let it grow