Support in Rochester!

Options
Got back on the fitness wagon this week. Looking to lose 90-100 pounds. Not a fan of the cold but enjoy being outside so I guess I'll have to find something interesting to do this winter,

Replies

• hbaker07
    Options
    its been pretty decent...so we are lucky. but it is tough to get out from under blankets! :)
    What is your idea of a good workout?
  • raesana
    raesana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been spending a lot of time at the Y lately.
  • PamelaKeebler
    PamelaKeebler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm happy to see there's a Rochester group! This is my 11th day of tracking and now I'm looking for some people to be friends with and have a bit more of a community on here.

I got in a great 1.5 hour romp on snowshoes in Mendon Ponds Park last Sunday. The cold isn't my favorite, but I'll still go out and play in it.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I didn't look for a Rochester group sooner!

I hate the cold, and when we got all that snow last weekend, I had to work so I couldn't even dust off my snow shoes!

Most of my workouts happen at the RAC.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Holy cow.... Go for the Rochester Group.... Man we're small lol
  • PamelaKeebler
    Options
    Which RAC do you go to? I do Tues. and Thursday night pilates classes at Henrietta and Pittsford, respectively, with Susan because she rocks. I lift at the Greece Ridge mall location on my non- pilates 3rd gym day of the week. I guess I'm getting my money worth out of the gym. :)

And yeah, high 5 Rochester! Small, but mighty!
  • htimpaired
    Options
    I go between Greece Ridge (women's not the mall) and Pittsford. I did spinning at Pittsford tonight, first time using the new bikes. I mostly do step and spinning, and there's a power body fusion class that is surprisingly great!
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hi just joined the group! Not very active in here tho...we need to change that!

Just started the C25K program, need to sign up for a 5K in the area to keep a goal in sight. Doing it on the treadmill now tho...will start running outdoors maybe April! LOL!
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    Didn't think there'd be a discussion group for Rochester. I used to go to RAC years ago... but I stopped. >_<
  • htimpaired
    Options
    I was trying to do C25K but truth be told-I really hate running. I try to make myself like it cause I know it's a good workout, but the dread factor is pretty high for me! Plus I use treadmills (my neighborhood is not safe for running), and getting it to speed up for 90 seconds to run then slow back down, the controls seem to be touchy. Or maybe that's my excuse because it involves running.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was trying to do C25K but truth be told-I really hate running. I try to make myself like it cause I know it's a good workout, but the dread factor is pretty high for me! Plus I use treadmills (my neighborhood is not safe for running), and getting it to speed up for 90 seconds to run then slow back down, the controls seem to be touchy. Or maybe that's my excuse because it involves running.
    LOL! I hear you! My motto always was, "I will take up jogging when I see someone smiling while jogging." Well, I started noticing people out running more and more and figured, what the heck!
    The buttons seem to work fine on the treadmill I use. I downloaded the Couch to 5K app on my phone and it makes it so much easier to track when you need to run and walk. I couldn't do it without it!
  • PamelaKeebler
    Options
    I'm so envious of people who can run. My knees will just not have any of it. I'm an avid backpacker, though, so I trade running for walking long distances for consecutive days with a 25-30lb backpack on. :)

Still wish I could run...
  • GCNerd
    GCNerd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I never thought I was a runner, but I eased myself into it...and trying out Vibrams didn't hurt either!

I have a feeling I've seen a couple of you girls at the RAC in Pittsford...I'm there almost everyday after work. I do the Tuesday night spin class with Erin and I LOVE pilates on Thursday with Susan.
  • PamelaKeebler
    Options
    I thought you looked familiar! I'm pretty sure you were directly across from me in pilates last night in Susan's class. Feel free to say hello sometime! I'm Pam. I've been taking class with Susan for a couple years now... I'm still about as flexible as a log. :)
  • htimpaired
    Options
    I'm in tuesday night step class with Michelle while you're in spin. After Michelle goes on maternity leave I may join the spin class, sub step teachers don't always work out so well...
  • PamelaKeebler
    Options
    I've been flirting with the idea of trying out a spinning class, but I worry that my knees won't be able to take it.
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi just joined the group! Not very active in here tho...we need to change that!

Just started the C25K program, need to sign up for a 5K in the area to keep a goal in sight. Doing it on the treadmill now tho...will start running outdoors maybe April! LOL!

My church hosts two separate marathons at different times of the year; the 10K Race with Grace is on Thanksgiving Day, and I believe the Hospice Run is a 5K, but I don't know when in the year it is. I do believe that both of them are official qualifiers for other marathons, as well.

First Bible Baptist Church, 901 Manitou Road. ^_^
  • GCNerd
    Options
    Pam, if you try the Tuesday 6pm class with Erin, she's really supportive about those with injuries. The journey is completely yours, so you don't have to have a high intensity gear set if it hurts your knees. She can also give you pointers on how to lower the impact.

I'll definitely have to say hi the next time I see you in pilates! I'll be back next Thursday :)
  • JenniferLLioy
    Options
    I go the the RAC too! LOL that is so funny:) I just tried spinning for the first time and I love it, but I have to find a good class. Zumba tomorrow night!! I've never taken this one and it always looks so packed, so we shall see :)
  • GCNerd
    Options
    Which spin class did you try? You look familiar... :)