michigan runners

Options
what's the best running race in michigan? tell us the race & location. and why you feel it's the best. I'm a new runner so unfortunately I have no input, but would like to hear yours.

Replies

• just_dad
    just_dad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Warrior Dash in late July in Mt. Morris. It is a challenging course as well as fun. I am not an avid runner though.
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    "Best" is clearly subjective. Depends on what you like. I prefer trails to roads so I tend to like trail races more. North Country in late August is fun. Trail Marathon weekend in Pinckney at the end of April is lots of fun. I've never met a trail I didn't like, so I will probably have a good time at any trail race in Michigan.

Michigan is also blessed with a number of really good road events. The Detroit Marathon, Fifth Third River Bank Run, Grand Rapids Marathon, The Crim, The Great Turtle, and the Bayshore Marathon are just a small sample.
  • Maxingtonbear
    Maxingtonbear Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm crazy new to running, but ran the Crim last year & the Detroit Free Press 1/2 marathon in October. The Crim had a ton of hills, so I found it pretty rough, but the support was AMAZING. The people that came out to cheer were absolutely phenomenal. The Free Press 1/2 was a fantastic experience, with waaaay less hills. The support, however, was lacking. The Canadian side, by far, was way better. I was actually rather disappointed with the Detroit side.
    A new development for this year's Free Press 1/2 will be that you will be able to choose which leg you want to do: basically you can do the 1st half of the marathon course or the 2nd half, which will take you through Indian Village & Belle Isle (no Canada). I believe that's what I've read, anyway! :) I am intrigued to do the 2nd half part, just to see.