South African

KahuNZ
KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
Vegetarian Bobotie

This is based on a South African dish - Bobotie (Pronounced ba-boor-tea). It is usually made with spiced minced meat with an egg based topping. This is a tasty vegetarian version. If you don't have all the spices it does not matter. Adjust to your taste. It seems like a long list but it is a very tasty and spicy dish. Can add other veges to it as well – I have used eggplant, cut up small and baked in the oven then added to the dish before baking.
About 290 calories per serve depending on the amount of cheese you put in

Ingredients

For the spice mix
• half a cinnamon stick
• 2 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 tsp coriander seeds
• 1 tsp mild paprika
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• 2 cardamon pods
• ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
• 2 tsp chilli powder (optional)

For the bobotie

• 2 T oil
• 2 medium onions, chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 2 chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped ( if hot, use 1 chilli)
• 2.5cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 1 grated apple
• 2 tsp curry powder
• 2 slices of bread soaked in 100ml milk (brown or grain preferably)
• Handful of raisins
• ½ lemon, juice only
• zest of 1 lemon
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• can of cannelloni beans

For the topping
• 1 cup light milk
• ½ cup plain light yoghurt,
• ½ cup of light sour cream
• 2 eggs
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• parmesan cheese
• grated cheese

For the spice mix, gently fry all the spices in a dry frying pan over a low heat until they smell toasted and fragrant. Grind the spices together with a mortar and pestle. I sieve these spices to take out the husks and cinnamon stick pieces.

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F

Fry the onions over a low to medium heat in the oil for 5-10 minutes, or until they are translucent but not brown.
Add the garlic, chillies, ginger, carrots, curry powder and spice mix (don’t have to use all but I do), and cook, stirring all the time for another two minutes.

Add the soaked bread and milk, stirring well so that the bread is broken down and evenly distributed throughout the mixture.

Stir in the raisins and apple, then add the lemon juice. Season the mixture to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Put the mixture into a baking dish, smooth it out. Add the lemon zest over the mixture.
Bake for 5-10 minutes while you make the topping.

For the topping, whisk the eggs and mix with the milk, yoghurt and sour cream and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the bobotie, sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese and any other cheese you wish. Return dish to oven and bake for another 30-40 minutes till topping is nicely cooked.

Replies

• IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Wow, I have to try that! I've got everything but the fenugreek seeds. I have known people from South Africa, and they never said anything about having their own cuisine.