Welcome

Options
2»

Replies

• thetaven
    thetaven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! In November of 2007, I was diagnosed as a Type II diabetic. I was fourteen years old. It was a unique case because I was the only thin member of my family, I was extremely active (and still am) by playing on 3 simultaneous tournament softball teams, a member of the marching band, a dancer, and basketball player. I also ate remarkably healthy. It is now thought that I just had a very extended Type I honeymooning phase, as I only began insulin therapy in January of this year. Currently I am on Levimir and Novolog.

Being a college student, it's definitely difficult to eat healthy, let alone low-carb. It is also difficult to keep active. In the past year my weight has gotten up to 150, which is just too much on my 5'2" frame and bad for my diabetic health.

My current exercise consists of running on the weekends (my mother and I want to do a 5K Color Run together in the fall) and moderate cardio in a gym setting at least three times a week. I have also considered starting P90X with my dad.

My dieting is where I could definitely use some support. Being the only diabetic in my family, and living with my parents for the summer, it is difficult to balance having meals with my family and eating well. They do not have to worry about the carb content of their food or things of that nature. Does anyone have any experience being a solo diabetic in a carb-loading family?
  • easytoplease
    easytoplease Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...I am SO GLAD to see this group. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago, but let it go until last fall when I was 29. I had lost 50 pounds because of it and had major stomach problems (the weight loss was because of that, I think - no food would stay in my stomach). Then I let it go again until last week when I finally went to the doctor again. I had/am having a lot of trouble accepting it, too, like a couple of people said above.

My A1C was extremely high, as was my blood glucose. I don't even want to say how high because it's embarrassing. So I got put on insulin along with the metformin I'm already taking (luckily I'm fine with needles...and they're super tiny, you can't even feel them). I now have to keep track of 5 different meds taken throughout the day (I have some for depression too). I feel like an elderly person in that respect, and what will it be like when I AM elderly?

Anyway, this week I've finally begun to accept this and am keeping up on everything. My blood glucose is not back to normal, but it's way, way better than it was and I feel pretty good. I'm not even really having trouble with the diet so far, but it's only been a week.

The hardest thing for me to give up is soda. I've been drinking diet soda instead, but I know that is supposed to spike blood sugar too. It also kills my stomach, too. I'm just so used to it. What do you guys have trouble with?

Again, I'm so glad to see this. I've been looking for a group just like this. I've seen a couple other diabetes forums and groups but nobody in their 20s or 30s. And it seems like they all want to yell at me for not taking care of myself immediately. But there's a lot of grief someone has to go through when they learn they're going to be ill for the rest of their lives and have to constantly think about it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Elizabeth
  • TorreyFingal
    TorreyFingal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My name is Torrey and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2010 at 24 years old. It was devastating, but as a young African-American who comes from a family where diabetes is hereditary, I was no surprised. I started out doing well on eating better and getting healthier, but then I fell off track when my wife became pregnant. After the birth of my daughter, I continued to put on weight until I finished at about 280 lbs.

My father-in-law, who is also a diabetic, recently got a cut on his leg that he did not tend to and it became infected. It has been a huge ordeal to make sure that he lives and can keep his leg. Honestly, it was a bit of a wake up call for me. Whenever I look at my daughter, I resolve that I cannot die due to this disease. I promised God, my wife, and my daughter that I would do everything I can to become more healthy.

It has been about 5 weeks, and I am down about 21 pounds! Also, without taking the Metformin, my fasting blood glucose is about 98! I am feeling much better and am eating right and exercising regularly! I cannot wait to see where this journey takes me!
  • lalaerin
    lalaerin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I am a Type 1 Diabetic. I was diagnosed at 18.. Although, Type 1 is different than Type 2, I still have a lot of the same struggles. I am insulin-dependent and have an insulin pump. I have had two healthy and successful pregnancies with my Diabetes, but I am still struggling with some of the weight I put on with my second child. I am trying to find balance with my blood sugars and exercise/diet.. I seem to always have low blood sugar when exercising, and running to get sugar right after I exercise makes me feel like it's not worth it! It's really frustrating sometimes.
  • RoseCTomato
    RoseCTomato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, diagnosed w/ atypical Type 2 diabetes at age 18 after my freshman year of college. I'm insulin dependent w/ a very low c-peptide, but despite needing insulin for the rest of my life I want to minimize my insulin resistance as much as possible! I'm so glad to see I'm not the only young person here dealing with these issues, (turning 23 soon).
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm type 1 diabetic and was diagnosed at 21 (I'm 24 next month). I've found it difficult to lose weight through dieting alone, which previously used to work well for me before I was diagnosed. I've always loved exercise but let it slip when I was at university. I've joined MFP as I find it so useful to log all my food and keep track of what I eat as well as my insulin requirements each day. Overall, my control has improved as I've exercised and tracked my food, I've need less insulin and have nin ally started to lose weight! If anyone wants to add me, feel free :-) good luck to everyone
  • EMathew
    EMathew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes when I was 21...I am 28 now. Anyways, when I was first diagnosed, the doctor that I was seeing at the time said it was a unique case. I don't what that means but she called it Type 1 1/2. I was also diagnosed with hypertension. A little about my health...I had nephrotic syndrome when I was 2 and steroids were the medicines I took for 2 yrs. So the doctors think that has something to do with the fact that I have diabetes. Anyways, I was on so many diabetic drugs such as Januvia, Metformin, then Janumet, and then Prandin. The doctor that I was seeing when I was first diagnosed was not that good...she was a family medicine doctor. Anyways, something was going on with my kidneys. She referred me to a nephrologist and he said since I have diabetes and a past medical history of nephrotic syndrome and the steroid usage. So he recommended that I shouldn't take Metformin anymore so I stopped it and just took Januvia and Prandin. Well, short story I switched my primary doctor to an internal medicine doctor who is great...who I still see. She told me that was getting over-medicated so she ordered labs and told me not to take so many meds. Anyways, I was diagnosed with having CKD (chronic kidney disease stage 3) in December 2011 and my nephrologist told me if my kidneys didn't get better, I would have to get a kidney transplant. So with the help of my sister, my kidneys function and etc has improved. My blood pressure has improved alot but I am still on meds as they help with my kidneys.

I had my primary doc and nephrologist's appointment this past September. My nephrologist told me that my kidneys are doing fine and to keep up with the good work. The kidney function and etc has been improving so that was good news :) My primary doctor however told me that I need to have better control of my sugars. My A1c was not that great...I still have the hardest time to control my craving for sugary things. So recently, I have been having trouble with my eyes and I made an appointment to get my eyes checked. I was told I had early stage cataracts this past Wednesday and said I need to tightly control my sugars. Right now, its not affecting my vision but if I don't control my sugars, it would and then I would have to get surgery.

Internally, I feel such an old person and not fair that I have to go thru all this. I fell off the bandwagon this year and I have to get back on the wagon.

I am so glad that I found this group and hope this can help me with the battle of not being so tempted with sugar! Anybody have any suggestions...please let me know!

Thanks,
    Elizabeth