Potato Flour

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
So I'm a newbie to GF cooking and before I knew there was a difference between potato starch and potato flour I ordered the flour. So now I have a big ol' bag of potato flour and have no idea what to do with it other than thicken soups (being careful not to boil because apparently it will cause it to get goopy or weird which makes me afraid to use the stuff!) or coat chicken and fry it in a potato flour coating.

Do you guys have any creative ways to use potato flour that you can share? I don't want to waste the bag or eat that much chicken! :)

Replies

• Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been googling potato flour and find few recipes but lots of information. It appears that potato flour can add mosture to baking. I would definetly have to play with recipes out there, did you end up with a big bag? I will keep looking for recipes though.
  • Amayrial
    Amayrial Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Gluten-Free Potato Flour Biscuit Recipe
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/breakfastrecipe1/r/noglutenbiscuit.htm

Potato flour should be stored in a cool, dry place out of the light. It is extremely important to keep this flour dry, because if it gets wet, it can turn into a large, oozing mess. If you plan on keeping potato flour for more than six months or so, freeze it to keep it fresh, and double-bag it to prevent moisture from getting inside and ruining the flour.

Everything I read says it is a good sub for wheat. I guess you will have to play with it?

Featherlight by Bette Hagman baking mix:
    1 cup rice flour
    1 cup cornstarch
    1 cup tapioca starch/flour
    1 tbsp. potato flour

Pastry mix
    1/8 cup potato flour
    7/8 cup Ener-G Foods rice flour

These two recipes came from the following link:
    http://www.tacanow.org/family-resources/gfcfsf-ingredients-and-substitutions/

Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks for trying to help. I did end up with a fairly large amount considering the amounts you use in recipes. I think I'll try a few GF all purpose flour blends because we do use those (especially right now at Christmas!) And I did use it to thicken my soup yesterday. Worked out pretty well since I was out of potatoes, the flour gave a little bit of potato flavor to the soup. Maybe I could oven fry the chicken instead of fat frying it! I never make real fried chicken, it's always in the oven. I don't know why my brain didn't just accept that I could do that with the potato flour in the oven if it's as yummy as people say it is. Hmmm...now I'll be coating everything that goes with potatoes in potato flour! :D