lost my mojo- please help.

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
please help!
i trained really hard up until the end of october , when i ran a half marathon. i decided i needed a break from long runs, and spent a few weeks doing 5k runs. then i got ill and had 2 weeks off completely. i've tried getting back into it, but i don't seem to have the passion or motivation that i had before.
i thought that having something else to aim for would help- i've booked myself in for a half on 26th feb, and my 1st full on 28th april. but it's still just not enough to get me going. i can still run 3 miles, but i did a 7 mile run the other day and had to walk a lot of it (it wouldn't have been an issue before), and the day after my legs were hurting.
i could kick myself now for stopping.
but i need help, suggestions, and motivation (if anyone has any to spare) just to get me back on that wagon.

Replies

• zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    o no hun thats not cool, i know exactly how you feel but i found what was best was to just keep getting out there and doing it, even if you end up running for a shorter distance atleast you are running and on track!!! I also found that my running has improved heaps from bootcamp where we did alot of interval training ie 4 times round the track walk for a minute 3 times round walk for a minute, 2 etc...
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I read someplace that for every week you take off, it takes two weeks of training to get your conditioning back. When I had an injury and had to take a week off from running, my first 2-3 mile run felt brutal (prior to the break my long run was around 8 or 9 miles). I started slow at around 2 miles and added another mile every time I went out, about 3 times a week. It took a couple of weeks to get back up there, but you'll do it.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Remember that besides doing it for your health you are doing it for FUN! If it takes you a bit to get back to your normal tempo don't get discouraged. Here are a couple of things I have done when I needed to get back into the swing:

1) Buy a new audiobook for my ipod. I find that on long distance runs, listening to a favorite author is a great way to 'zone out'
    2) Buy a new pair of running shoes, running sock, t-shirt, it doesn't have to be something big or expensive, just something new
    3) Try a different form of cardio. Keep running, but do some shorter stuff (3-6 miles) and pick up a spin class or an erg class. Working different muscles and different breathing techniques can be a hoot
    4) Get a running buddy/buddies and/or join a local running group. Hoo boy will they keep you on your toes (pun intended)
    5) HAVE FUN!

:)