Oats?

Options
stephabef
stephabef Posts: 936 Member
Do you react to oats? I never thought I did - and I've read/heard from my doctor that only a small percentage of Celiacs respond to the gluten in some oats. I typically eat certified GF steel-cut oats every morning. However, I've started eating Luna bars lately, since oats are the only questionable thing. Feeling not so hot and some of my neurological symptoms have been returning, so I'm wondering if the answer is the Luna bars or if I should keep searching.

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I just read that Luna bars may also contain barley malt. Guess I'll be switching to Luna protein and back to Larabars.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I like Larabars, I generally stay away from Oats unless it states its Gluten Free. I know the jury is still out but I do not want to be sick again.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I do not react to oats and I often do not even eat GF certified ones as they are a staple in my diet and I can't always afford the extra expenditure at this time (full time student). When I have my TTG checked again in the new year, if it is up then I will know that the oats are the culprit, however I do not get any symptoms at all from oats, thankfully!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If it has Barley Malt, you've been eating gluten. I don't think it was the oats. Oh, fair warning, I read about some studies that indicated some Quinoa cause an inflammation just like a gluten reaction. I would be careful of that one. It's something new that is just coming out.
  • strudel82
    strudel82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There's a Luna brand that is certified gluten free! I think it's a women's blend? Other Luna bars do have barley malt, I've found.