Turn by Turn Voice Guidance

Options
TDSeest
TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
Since I want to tour across the country a lot next year, I've begun looking for a solution to this problem.

I'd like to preload my routes into a GPS (preferably iPhone, but I'd consider alternatives), and then have it provide voice turn by turn instructions. This way, I do not have to take maps with me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

So far, this is what I've come up with:

1) I use a tool called Marengo (marengo-ltd.com), to map out each day's ride. It works with Google maps in the browser, and allows me to export the route as a GPX file.
2) I go to my account at MapMyRide.com, which allows me to import the GPX created by the Marengo tool. I then use MapMyRide to export the route as a GPX file. Their GPX file, is less error prone, and better for some reason.
3) From there, I can import these GPX files into Cyclemeter and MapMyRide on my iPhone, and they will provide me visual maps of the routes. However, they will not give me turn by turn voice guidance.

For now, I use a second process for turn by turn voice guidance on the iPhone. I use Co-Pilot Live on my iPhone. It loads all the maps locally into the iPhone; this is important because cell signal can be nonexistent in many of the places I ride. It will not let me import the GPX files; however, it will let me drag and drop the route it selects for me in "Bicycle" mode, to use the route that I choose.

Am I too much of a nerd to want this? Does anyone else share my dream?

Any one else have anything better?

HELP!!!

Replies

• thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Tom I have a Garmin Edge 800 that will give you commands. But it is expensive and you should buy a mapping program for it. Well you don't really have to if you import maps from Mapmyride or other programs. Having the mapping program stick is nice. I don't have it and I have turned off the voice commands. I just watch the screen and you can see the points to turn at. You can get a Heart Rate Monitor and a Cadence sensor also. And it you want to you add a Power Tap to it. So it lets you add to it.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    Tom I have a Garmin Edge 800 that will give you commands. But it is expensive and you should buy a mapping program for it. Well you don't really have to if you import maps from Mapmyride or other programs. Having the mapping program stick is nice. I don't have it and I have turned off the voice commands. I just watch the screen and you can see the points to turn at. You can get a Heart Rate Monitor and a Cadence sensor also. And it you want to you add a Power Tap to it. So it lets you add to it.

So, it will give you turn by turn directions? I can get the maps from MapMyRide.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options

So, it will give you turn by turn directions? I can get the maps from MapMyRide.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043 View it at the link. Yes on the turn by turn instructions but it is only a beep and a beep that is not very loud. I have mine turned off and I just watch the map. As for going across the country and not knowing where you are it should work ok. You can change the map ratio so it is easier to see the turns.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I've got the Garmin 705, the predecessor of the 800 mentioned above, and it'll give turn by turn directions, and a virtual bearing indicator (so if the arrow's pointing forwards you're going the right way, towards your groin - turn around mate!) But it doesn't do guidance via voice commands - just a "beep" - and the screen backlight comes on at night - when you need to make a turn.

To be honest though, the 705 and 800 are an awful lot of money unless you're using them for the training / racing aspect of riding - the mapping is pretty much just a sideshow to the main event - getting you across the finish line as fast as possible. I wouldn't be without mine, but then, I'm generally riding someplace I already know like the back of my hand, and I want it for recording what I've done and where I've been , rather than where to go, and what I need to do next.
  • TDSeest
    Options
    After reviewing all of the available options, I'm leaning towards getting a Garmin Zumo 220 (made for motorcycles), and mounting it next to my iPhone on the handlebars. http://www.sporttourshop.com/products/garmin-zumo-220 I don't think the two device thing will bother me, as I really use the iPhone more for riding stats anyway. It should give me the voice guidance I want, and I should be able to plan my routes for my cross country rides and import them into the Zumo. I'll let you know how it works out. I hope to buy one and test it during January, as I hope to do some major rides at the end of January or early February.