Does it matter? Race?

Options
mznisaelaine
mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
Ok so I was just in another thread "Your so pretty for a fat girl" in the Chit Chat forum and so I replied and I shared something that I get comments like, "Your so pretty for a black girl" or "Your complexion is pretty for a dark skinned girl" or something along those lines all the time... So it made me think... Does race or certain things matter when dating? Do you take it into consideration? Is race an issue? Etc... I would like some opinions/experiences/thoughts etc...

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter at all to me. Some might have preferences I guess when it comes to aesthetics, but if that's all one's concerned about and nothing else then that's kinda shallow. What really matters to me is what kind of person they are, and if they're compatible personality-wise, similar interests, can get along well, etc.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    Doesn't matter at all to me. Some might have preferences I guess when it comes to aesthetics, but if that's all one's concerned about and nothing else then that's kinda shallow. What really matters to me is what kind of person they are, and if they're compatible personality-wise, similar interests, can get along well, etc.

I agree. I think some people give in to stereotypes first before they can get to even know the individual. I hope that breaks soon!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I think you two should get a room!

:)

Seriously though - I have a bi-racial son. My ex-husband is white. It never mattered to either of us. However I will say his family has a huge problem with it. So much that his parents have never spoken to me or my son. I think I will definitely take that into consideration with future relationships. It doesnt matter to me but my kid is missing out on another set of grandparents.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I used to have a blog about the crazy things white people said to me.
    'You are pretty for a black girl' was on the list.
    The list was rather long and crazy as hell!
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    I think you two should get a room!

:)

Seriously though - I have a bi-racial son. My ex-husband is white. It never mattered to either of us. However I will say his family has a huge problem with it. So much that his parents have never spoken to me or my son. I think I will definitely take that into consideration with future relationships. It doesnt matter to me but my kid is missing out on another set of grandparents.

Lol
    Aww. That is such a shame. But I'm thinking the grandparents just come from a different time so that's what contribute to how they feel? Doesn't matter but I'm assuming that's your son on your ticker, he is adorable!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I dated a black man after my divorce. I was fine with it but my ex-husband talked SO bad about it to my kids. The reason we stopped dating was not because of that - we didn't click - but I could have seen issues with the kids if they ever met him because of what their dad was saying. I hate to admit I was married to a very racist person. I try everyday to make sure the kids aren't like him.
  • JThomas61
    Options
    It does not matter to me what the color of a person's skin is, what matters is who they are as a person, how they treat others and how they treat me. Its a shame that in this day and age people are still hung up on the color of skin.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Its funny to me when people talk about race and color. You cant tell by looking at me but Im all sorts of mixed up mutt. My holidays growing up looked like the united Nations lol. My cousins and I look like positive and negative photos of each other. Race doesnt matter to me they just have to be taller than me. I am trying to raise my kids this way. They have a bunch of "uncles" (mostly guys I've known since high school) of different races and skin tones.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter to me and I hear all kinds of crazy comments all the time. I perfer to date someone who likes me for me verse my size or skin color, because I don't want to be part of some crazy stereotype the man has in his head.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Well, it's all about the person's personality, but like hair colour and build, one can have preferences. That said, I've dated outside my usual preferences. I don't think comments like "you're pretty for X nationality" should ever be said though. You're either pretty or you're not, sheesh.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to prefer men who are not my race and that's based entirely on what I find physically attractive. I suppose I've been rude in my life and told some guy or other that he was pretty for a white man, but given that I'm also white, I very much doubt any took offense. If any ever did, oh well. Opposites attract and I know what I like to wake up next to in the morning.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    hell no!! a guy is a guy, a girl is a girl to me....I have to like their personalities regardless to want to date them!!
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think attractive is attractive period! I am blonde and blue eyed and have dated hispanic and black guys. My TYPE is caucasian, specifically brown hair/blue eyes. I do tend to see myself ending up with a white guy and it's part of my general preference. But it's like some white men only date Asian girls and some people only like red heads, etc. It's just an ideal of beauty for that person. If people only fell for people that were their type or ideal, the majority of the population would not get anyone because when it comes to the media's idea of attractiveness that has been shoved down our throats, only like 2% of the populations looks like that. But people somehow through puberty or whatever generally find what they like to look at but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't be attracted to or end up with someone that was the complete opposite. Attraction is a funny thing and so much more than looks or race or gender.
  • gmann1973
    Options
    I dnt think love can see color....the heart wants what the heart wants
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Race doesnt matter to me either. Whats inside, chemistry, attraction, commonality and she is not crazy are important to me.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I haven't historically dated outside of my race, but it wouldn't be an issue if I found a great guy of a different flavor then me.

OP - Pretty for a "black girl"? How about just pretty...period!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    I haven't historically dated outside of my race, but it wouldn't be an issue if I found a great guy of a different flavor then me.

OP - Pretty for a "black girl"? How about just pretty...period!!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Inasmuch as race can sometimes dictate social and cultural expectations, to me it does matter a bit. For example, I wouldn't feel comfortable dating a man whose cultural expectations of women differed markedly from the western norm of liberated, independent women, of equal intrinsic value to a man. It's more about background, family expectations and where you grew up than race, really, but that can factor into it.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Inasmuch as race can sometimes dictate social and cultural expectations, to me it does matter a bit. For example, I wouldn't feel comfortable dating a man whose cultural expectations of women differed markedly from the western norm of liberated, independent women, of equal intrinsic value to a man. It's more about background, family expectations and where you grew up than race, really, but that can factor into it.

I agree with this too!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Spot on and well stated! This is exactly how I feel.