December 19 - Handling the holidays...

Options
carolina_r
carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
THIS WEEK'S TASK: Stay under calorie goal

With many of us getting set to celebrate the holidays, I think trying to stay under calorie goal is a tough enough task all on its own!

THIS WEEK'S POLL: How do you handle the holidays?

When you are trying to lose weight, any holiday can be tough...whether its Christmas, Eid, Diwali, Chinese New Year, Hanukkah, even someone's birthday - they all involve family, friends, fun, and FOOD!!!!!

How do you handle trying to lose weight during a holiday? Do you try to curb, or just indulge? Do you have any tips / strategies to share that help you stay motivated?

Replies

• TiffanyaeBrown
    Options
    Some friend and I have decided this week we're working toward burning 100+ calories everyday. Everyone is busy, so there are no other rules, just as long as at the end of the day, your total is 100+. I find if I've worked out at all, I will at least second guess as to whether I really want that treat. If I do still want ir, I'll offer to split it with someone. It's more fun to share a piece of pie anyway! ;)

I do set aside one or two ocassions where I can indulge. For this it's 1 - Christmas dinner at Grandma's and 2 - Christmas Day. I try to off-set too many sweets with eating plenty of meat and veggies during meals. And I always volunteer for a veggie at the potlucks. I'm a picky eater, so this helps me know I'll get something healthy in my diet. ;)

Also, my kids know once school starts back, the candy goes with them! I give most of it to the teachers to hand out as 'treasure box' treats, especially the little chocolates. Otherwise I'll be eating them!!!
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm giving in to the holidays. I usually don't eat til I burst anyways because that makes it really uncomfortable to enjoy the rest of the festivities. We also almost always take a walk after dinner too. Not to mention chasing the kids around :) Baby girl is trying to crawl but hasn't got the hang of it yet, but she does know now if she rolls over enough times she will get to where she wants, lol. Can't leave her alone on the bed anymore :) I'm actually waiting to test if i'm pregnant. I'm not watching what I eat anymore because if the morning sickness hits me as badly as my first pregnancy, then i'm going to lose all this weight real quick anyways. (only a few more days til I can test)
  • carolina_r
    Options
    I have tried several approaches, and the "controlled indulgence" seems to work best for me.

Let me explain:

- A few weeks ago, I let myself indulge without worry (my mom cooked a Portuguese holiday feast...) and it totally derailed me for TWO WEEKS!!! It took a lot of effort to get back on track.
    - For thanksgiving, I used a "controlled indulgence" approach - I let myself have a little of everything, I made peace with the fact that I would be over, but I still logged it. I really enjoyed the meal, and I know that I ate way less than I would have if I didn't log. Most importantly, I was right back on rhythm the next day.

I don't want to completely undo all my hard work, so this holiday season, I choose control...AND indulgence...Together.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    Baby girl is trying to crawl but hasn't got the hang of it yet,

Watch out!!! My guy is crawling now, and boy is it a lifestyle changer!!!!!
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have had various levels of success managing holidays over the years. This year I intend to stay as on track as possible with allowing for a little taste of everything at Christmas dinner. So, yes a desert, but not multiple trips back for more! I am also hoping to get the gym lots to keep busy, help with the extra calories, keep motivated and focused. we aren't travelling away this year, so I am feeling that I will be able to control my meal choices & exposure to treats more then other years.

Wishing you all a happy holiday season!
  • carolina_r
    Options
    Well, ladies...I can honestly say it was more "indulge" than "control" for me this time around...Oh well, I logged it (a little scary to be in the red by over 1000 cals...YIKES!) and I will be back to it on Monday.

To all those celebrating - Hope you all had a great holiday!!!
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just didn't bother logging it for Christmas day. I knew I would be over and I didn't do any exercise to combat it so didn't think it was worth worry about about. Back into it today though.
  • McCallsmommy
    McCallsmommy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whew! We moved right after Thanksgiving, then had guests, then went out of town ourselves. We finally got back yesterday, and I am exhausted! But I'm glad to be able to log again. We were in the mountains with no phone or Internet access (and tons of cookies) for a week. I don't know how much I've gained because my scale is still packed. So, in answer to this week's challenge, I handled the holidays poorly! I am planning to get back on track this week, but I really don't want my gain to discourage me. Do you think it's okay to get back on the wagon for a while before I face the scale?

Happy New Year, girls!
  • McCallsmommy
    McCallsmommy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some friend and I have decided this week we're working toward burning 100+ calories everyday. Everyone is busy, so there are no other rules, just as long as at the end of the day, your total is 100+.

What a great idea!! I am going to try that!
  • livehappe
    livehappe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Handling the holidays was difficult. I did manage to lose 2 lbs over the holidays, but it was the hardest 2 I've ever lost. Saying no to cookie trays and an extra helping of turkey made me mental. I love to celebration eat. I did better at home than out at restaurants; I cannot say no to cheesecake, or no to my favourite dishes. I hope next year that I'll be able to indulge a little more...