What do you do with your dog while you work??

2»

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    If you get two, don't get two males.
    We have three that keep themselves occupied.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    As a dog lover/owner & a veterinarian, I commend you for putting so much thought into your decision. I think it totally depends upon the breed of dog you get. It also depends on the age of your dog. But, I think that a couple days a week for 8 hours in a crate is ok as long as you can provide plenty of exercise before and after work. My advice is to research the breeds you are thinking about & make sure that they are compatible with your lifestyle. If you get a dog that is, for example a herding breed, you will need to provide that dog with a job. That means LOTS of exercise. If you don't , you will get the product of boredom...that is... a destructive chewer. (I know from experience, trust me). Labs, German Shepherds, Border Collies, Boxers etc are great dogs but they are very energetic and need lots of exercise and patience. Smaller dogs take longer to housetrain. And please, please, please...get him/her neutered/spayed...it doesn't make them fat....overfeeding & underexercising makes them fat. Good luck and happy hunting!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    A crate is the safest place for a dog to be when you are not at home.

When you leave a dog unattended in a back yard for hours on end, bad things can happen.

When you leave a dog or multiple dogs loose in the house, bad things can happen.

I'm not saying things will happen, but they can and I like to be better safe than sorry.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    We have 2 dogs and keep them crated during the day not because of accidents but because what could happen if we didnt. They love their crates and often sleep in them even when the door is open and they can go where ever they want.
    With 2 dogs they can find something in the house that they both want and then a fight could happen. I would never forgive myself if something happened because I left them out during the day.

They are in them about 8.5 -9 hrs a day and never have had an accident in their house. My female once was sick and had diarrhea and broke out of the cage as she didnt want to go in the cage.. she ended up having an accident by the back door but I couldnt fault her for that as she tried to go outside.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Crate!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    We crate both of our dogs. I come home on my first break to let them outside. :smile:

(I have friends who chose not to crate their dog because for the "most part" she doesn't get into things... except the time she ate the couch... or the time she ate samples of baby formula and then pooped all over the house... so yeah, just something to think about!)
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    maybe get a dog that isn't a puppy, that doesn't have tons of energy & try the crate.. We have a fenced backyard & my husband stays home all day. We have an Australian Shepherd & we have a friend who brings her American Eskimo over every day for him to play with. Maybe you can find a set up like that.
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    get two, the breed I have does not do well by themselves. I crated them for years and they were fine, after about five years I notice one of them really did want to go in the kennel but he would when told. So I started leaving them out and they have been doing great.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    I have the same situation - want a dog but work full time... also right now we don't have room for one... but does anyone have experience with soft coated wheaton terriers? Thats a breed I've considered, we will need something hypoallergenic (husb is allergic) and I prefer bigger / medium sized dogs.
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    i got extremely lucky with my poodle. he has his bed and is confined to a small area of the house while we leave. he dosent scratch, bark or pee during that time. when i get home i let him out of his area, but he lets me know when he needs to use the restroom, and he hates being outside. sometimes he will bark at 3 in the morning just to wake me up so he can go to the bathroom. I am happy that we haven't had any accidents. but im not about to give him free reign around the house when im gone.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    They stay home together when we go to work. I leave on a TV for them. We put in hardwood floors, so they don't potty on the carpet, like they used to.. And they go potty on the pad I leave in my bathroom, if they have to go...

When I get home from work, I let them out in the backyard, and they potty right away.. Mostly they wait until I get home. Yesterday someone was a good girl and pottied on the pad.. In which I reward and say "Good GIrls. You pottied on the pad." Then I give them a greenie. :smile: They are too small to leave in the backyard all day. And I don't want any other animals climbing over the fence. I'm very protective. I guess I'm a bit of a spoiler mama..