I am scared...

Options
hillm12345
hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
to pick out and purchase my dress. I have so many what ifs running thru my head. If you've read my last post about wedding dress madness, you'll know that I have a very generous future mother in law. Well, she's coming into town for the holidays and wants to go dress shopping with me. I read "to buy your wedding dress" attached to that last sentence. As I look at more and more dresses online to get ideas I have this fear that is creeping into my gut.

what if I pick out the wrong one?

What if I pick out this amazing gown, then two months down the road find one that I love even more? I was talking to my mom about this the other day and I told her "I just want it to be like it is in the movies.. where you try on a dress and everyone around you cries and you just know" Then she replied.. Hill, this isn't a movie... pick out a dress that you like. perhaps I do watch too many movies.. but I swear, picking out the wrong dress has happened to friends.. then they end up with two dresses none of which are returnable. AHHHH!!!

Ok... pull myself together. whew. Happy Tuesday!

Replies

• andrea_marie3
    andrea_marie3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is 1) Don't buy a dress unless you absolutely love it, and 2) Once you buy said dress, stop looking around! No more "Say yes to the dress" marathons, no more bridal mags, blogs, etc... At least not for the purpose of looking at dresses. That has been the biggest help to me; not just for the purpose of eliminating second-guessing my dress, but also my decor, location, ideas, etc... Comparing your wedding to others can kill all the fun.

One last thing: be open to styles you may not think you like. I thought I wanted a full dress, but I got a fit and flare instead because it looked so great. According to the person who helped me, that's actually pretty common. Good luck!
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just picked my dress up last weekend! I still love it even after waiting 4.5 months for it. I was actually wearing it around the house yesterday when everyone was gone! My advice.....don't buy unless YOU love it, don't let others influence your choice (you have to wear it, not them), most important point....STOP LOOKING when you have picked yours out!! Don't stress over it to much and have fun, hopefully you will only get to do this once in your lifetime. :wink:
  • hillm12345
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I may have been freaking out just a bit.. this all seems very surreal! And lets face it.. this is kind of a large purchase that I will only do once!
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I feel the SAME WAY about shopping for my dress - have avoided it AT.ALL.COSTS!
    Everyone says "isnt that the best part?" - not for Moi! I feel the same way you do - what if I pick the wrong one. What if I dont like it after a few months & Im stuck with it.
    Let me know how it goes - everyone keeps saying "you'll know when you put THE dress on - you'll know"
    Im terrified I'll never know
    Fingers crossed for you doll! :heart:
  • hillm12345
    Options
    I will definitely keep you posted.. we're going shopping on Tuesday .. I have looked up the designers the bridal shop carries and I've picked out some favorites that I hope they have to try on. Now that I have an idea of what the shop has to offer, I'm getting really excited!!!

I just wish my sister could be here with me.. oh the joys of living across the country. Last time she helped me try on dresses it was all "ok ready? DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!" LOL
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree about trying on styles you wouldn't normally think would look good...I thought the drop waist was so beautiful until I put one on. AWFUL! I need a natural waist for sure, and they look amazing. I never would have thought to get one.
  • hillm12345
    Options
    beep beep beep.... UPDATE....

So! we went dress shopping today and I did my homework! I went on the website of the shop and browsed through the designers they said they had. I bookmarked about 3-4 dresses that I liked by a variety of different designers. I showed my dresses to the sales lady and said said "try .... this designer with this dress.. I think she will like it" I picked out several dresses that met my standards and started trying on...

dress one.. liked

dress two ... fell in love with! so much so that after trying on 4 more dresses I tried on Dress #2 again and said "This is it!" Turns out, it was the dress that the woman originally recommended for me. I could not be happier and I'm so excited!! NOW done with dresses.. on to... invites? LOL Happy New Year!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    beep beep beep.... UPDATE....

So! we went dress shopping today and I did my homework! I went on the website of the shop and browsed through the designers they said they had. I bookmarked about 3-4 dresses that I liked by a variety of different designers. I showed my dresses to the sales lady and said said "try .... this designer with this dress.. I think she will like it" I picked out several dresses that met my standards and started trying on...

dress one.. liked

dress two ... fell in love with! so much so that after trying on 4 more dresses I tried on Dress #2 again and said "This is it!" Turns out, it was the dress that the woman originally recommended for me. I could not be happier and I'm so excited!! NOW done with dresses.. on to... invites? LOL Happy New Year!

So glad you found one you love!!! :)