Natural treatments for MS

psmd
psmd Posts: 764 Member
I am wondering what you guys have tried or know about as alternatives. I take medication but I am also interested in other lifestyle changes, diet changes, etc. that could be helpful. I have been taking cinnamon for the past few months, and I missed it last week and I feel like there was a difference (more noticable symptoms after exercise and at night going to sleep). This is initially what I read about cinnamon:

http://rushnews.rush.edu/2011/06/22/potential-impact-of-cinnamon-on-ms-studied/

If you have thoughts, sources, ideas, etc. I would love to hear them!

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    I haven't been on medication for a couple of years now, simply taking vitamin D supplements.
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    I have read about cinnamon a few times now but can't seem to find out about how you take it, what form it's in and how much. I am willing to give just about anything a try.

As far as different natural things... One of my doctors suggested that I be tested for sleep apnea, and I will say I have to say that there is a definite difference in how exhausted I am when I wear my machine, and I did have a mild/moderate case. It is that silly central sleep apnea which is my body forgetting to breath and the machine just sends a friendly reminder. So if you are really struggling with exhaustion, perhaps ask if you can have one of these tests. It isn't to bad and getting an answer is pretty quick. Not to mention it is a simple way to fix the super tireds if you do have it. :-)
  • I've never heard of taking cinnamon, do you take a teaspoon a day? How do you take it? Has anyone heard of staying away from red meat? I heard this from someone when first diagnosed 30 years ago, but never heard more about it.
  • psmd
    I've never heard of taking cinnamon, do you take a teaspoon a day? How do you take it? Has anyone heard of staying away from red meat? I heard this from someone when first diagnosed 30 years ago, but never heard more about it.

This study is going on right now at Rush University (in Chicago) to test cinnamon, it started in June 2011 I think. Cinnamon is naturally good for a lot of things including inflammation (like of the spinal cord!). I take it with food most days, like I will add to oatmeal or cereal. It gets kind of clumpy in coffee but I've heard you can put it in hot water and drink it as a tea? I think it's easiest to add to food.

I've never really heard about red meat specifically but my neurologist said eating healthy in general (including less red meat) is definitely good for the diagnosis overall.

I did just start taking vitamin D supplements, either 1000 or 2000 units a day, does anyone know if it makes a difference how much you take? My levels were normal when my doctor checked them. I am taking the gummy form which are really tasty and make me want to take them every day! :wink:
  • psmd
    I have read about cinnamon a few times now but can't seem to find out about how you take it, what form it's in and how much. I am willing to give just about anything a try.

As far as different natural things... One of my doctors suggested that I be tested for sleep apnea, and I will say I have to say that there is a definite difference in how exhausted I am when I wear my machine, and I did have a mild/moderate case. It is that silly central sleep apnea which is my body forgetting to breath and the machine just sends a friendly reminder. So if you are really struggling with exhaustion, perhaps ask if you can have one of these tests. It isn't to bad and getting an answer is pretty quick. Not to mention it is a simple way to fix the super tireds if you do have it. :-)

Just answered the cinnamon question above, but the ony other thing is that you can just take it in powder form, I buy the big thing from the grocery store. You should definitely try it! I think if nothing else it might reduce the severity of your symptoms? Let me know how it goes!

Re: sleep apnea, not only can sleep apnea cause daytime fatigue, which is already an issue in MS, but in the longrun it can cause pulmonary hypertension and other health issues. So definitely use your machine! Weight is obviously a contributing factor to sleep apnea, but also things like smoking and alcohol/sleep aids before sleep make it worse. Sleeping on your side instead of your back also makes it better. Hopefully as you start to lose weight you reverse it! GOod luck!
  • I have read about cinnamon a few times now but can't seem to find out about how you take it, what form it's in and how much. I am willing to give just about anything a try.

I also was tested for apnea (both my parents have it and use machines) and was really, really against using a machine. BUT...after the test showed I had moderate apnea and I started using the machine...WOW! What a difference it makes in fatigue! I don't feel tired during the day and have more energy to do the things I need and want to do. My husband is happier too :) He actually gets some sleep instead of waking me up constantly to tell me to breath!

I have not heard of cinnamon being of any help, but hey...anything is worth a try. I take vitamin D, as my doctor ran a test and said I was slightly deficient. My medication seems to work for me, so I am happy with that...but supplements find their place in my diet too.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    I've heard of cinnamon for diabetes - my husband takes cinnamon pills. But I didn't hear anything about MS and cinnamon. I'll have to do some research.

I'm currently reading Montel Williams - Living Well With MS. He is really big on just healthy eating and exercise. The less processed the better. He mentions cutting back on red meat and eating only lean meats. I haven't finished the book yet but so far it's pretty good. - I've always admired the public way he has dealt with his MS.
  • psmd
    I've heard of cinnamon for diabetes - my husband takes cinnamon pills. But I didn't hear anything about MS and cinnamon. I'll have to do some research.

I'm currently reading Montel Williams - Living Well With MS. He is really big on just healthy eating and exercise. The less processed the better. He mentions cutting back on red meat and eating only lean meats. I haven't finished the book yet but so far it's pretty good. - I've always admired the public way he has dealt with his MS.

I didn't know they have cinnamon pills! Where does he buy them? It's not easy to get it in my food every single day.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    We get them at the local health food store - it's called Sun Health but I don't know if it is just a local or a franchise. I would imagine your local pharmacy would have them.
  • rocky282
    rocky282 Posts: 47 Member
    Walmart has them, I just found them today! I am on day 4 of taking 1tsp of cinnamon. So far I only notice that I have a headache and that a good bit of my back pain has gotten better. I have also been forcing (coorcing) my husband to take it as well, but he hasn't noticed any changes yet.
  • I have looked into the MS Recovery Diet and it too focuses on the foods you eat. It is extremly difficult and I am failing left and right. They focus on not eating glutten, eggs, dairy, red meat, yeast, and legumes. You have to be extremly dedicated to stick with it, and I guess its just gonna take me a little more time to get there. They have tons of people who swear by it though and success stories.