Trainer workouts

76tech
76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
edited October 6 in Social Groups
Hi folks,

The wife gave me a fluid trainer for Christmas (yay) So I decided to post the workout I did today, and would welcome any other indoor workouts you may have.

8 minute warmup, slowly getting up to average cruising speed
4 minute seated "climb", switch to a high enough gear/resistance to maintain for 12+ minutes but still difficult.
4 minute climb, out of saddle
4 min. seated climb
4 min. recovery
Repeat the climb and recovery sections
8 minute cruise at average speed
5 minute cooldown

Second set of climbing ended up being 2min/1min/2min but I've never been a great climber. Maybe by the time spring rolls around...

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    there's loads of different plans here - http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/ - just set up a free account, then select what kind of workout you want to focus on - technique/endurance/strength etc. - select the workout duration you want and pick one from the list that comes up...

even gives you on-screen prompts and a countdown timer, to keep you focused...
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Don't ride out of the saddle on a trainer. It puts too much stress on the frame.
  • 76tech
    Don't ride out of the saddle on a trainer. It puts too much stress on the frame.
    I was wondering about that...especially with an aluminum frame. Thanks!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    I just did my first trainer workout cuz I got a fluid trainer for christmas too!!!

12 min w/u
    4X3 min fast pedals (cadence 115-125)
    10 min easy
    3X8min SSI (cadence 85-95)
    8 min easy in between (cadence 80-90)
    10 min c/d

Annnnnnd it's going to be 47 tomorrow so I have to take my bike off of the trainer for tomorrow.. Pittsburgh weather needs to make up its mind! It was JUST SNOWING!
  • 76tech
    I just did my first trainer workout cuz I got a fluid trainer for christmas too!!!

12 min w/u
    4X3 min fast pedals (cadence 115-125)
    10 min easy
    3X8min SSI (cadence 85-95)
    8 min easy in between (cadence 80-90)
    10 min c/d

Annnnnnd it's going to be 47 tomorrow so I have to take my bike off of the trainer for tomorrow.. Pittsburgh weather needs to make up its mind! It was JUST SNOWING!

Nice! I didn't expect to get such a good workout on the trainer. Fluid is awesome, isn't it?
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member

I'm pretty sure that's not true. At least I've never heard this. I wouldn't think the elite level coaches who produce trainer videos would have riders getting out of the saddle if it was at all harmful to the bikes.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member

I'm pretty sure that's not true. At least I've never heard this. I wouldn't think the elite level coaches who produce trainer videos would have riders getting out of the saddle if it was at all harmful to the bikes.

I'd LOVE to meet the person who could ride some of the Tacx VR climbs without getting out of the saddle occasionally - a couple of the 16% sections on the Gavia would be heavy going seated, unless you'd the gearing from a MTB on the bike :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.