BIPOLAR

Options

Replies

• claireodactyl
    Options
    Hi,

I'm also Bipolar, was finally diagnosed about 7 years ago but have been seeing various psychiatrists for almost 25yrs! So glad to have found a group on here with so many others dealing with similar issues. Weight loss is hard enough without adding in the fun and games of extreme mood swings and side effects of meds. I've been on MFP for over a year and can't believe it's taken me this long to find the group!

Really nice to 'meet' you all!

:)
  • Rachspo
    Rachspo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm Rachel-Marie, I have bipolar disorder. I'm stable, but going through a depression right now...
    27 years old, 4 ft 11, and 126 lbs right now. That's all! Add me I'd love to make friends with others dealing with similar issues. Who UNDERSTAND. <3
  • rhythmicveggie
    Options
    I'm bipolar, and I'm here for you too.

Anyone who would like to is more than welcome to add me. :)

It's a struggle, but having a support network helps so, so much.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed bipolar and taken a billion different meds that make you gain 15 lbs just in the first 2 weeks... but I'm starting to question it since I've been relatively stable the past couple years. I know I know, normal periods in between episodes :). Actually, my weight loss journey started from the first 20-30 lbs lost as a side effect of Topamax (Which somehow made me really laid back and loving Bob Marley music?) Feel free to add me and message me if you ever need to talk. That goes for anyone on here!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I'm bipolar 1 and 2 and have been dealing with this for 10 years. I gained 100 pounds, lost 86, then gained about 14 pounds after having foot surgery last year. Feel free to add me!!
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Bipolar too and I really could use some support. I never had a weight problem until i started taking all of these medications...I'm a tough case and take Seroquel, Zoloft, Lithium, Lamictal, Abilify and I've just started Topamax which my psychiatrist gave me in the hopes that it will stop me from gaining more weight. I am always hungry. I can eat a big meal and still think I am starving. Plus because I never had to pay attention to what I ate I don't know much about eating healthy and I'm constantly surprised by how many calories are in so many foods. I joined MFP quite a while back but have been sporadic at best about sticking with it, and I have actually gained weight since I started here.

I would love some buddies that could help keep me accountable and would like to share the challenges of dealing with both bipolar and weight issues. If you are interested please add me or post a reply here.

Looking forward to making some new friends!
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am not bipolar. However, I have very unstable moods and high anxiety, which almost labels me as a bipolar.
    This...

Here for support
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have no firm diagnosis yet, but there is hinting that it is Bipolar symptoms I exhibit.

Psychologist and GP looking at heavy depression and social anxiety.

Weight loss for me came after seeking a cure for depression. It wasn't dealt with after losing the weight, but my weight loss battle has made me strive in other areas in my life now.

I would love to be friends with any others in this post.

Gary
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have been bipolar my WHOLE life and after being able to control it on my own (for the most part) just recently came to my breaking point and got help, I guess being a single mommy to a lil boy will do that to you. Lol.

I have been on medication for about 3-4 months now and am just now getting the jist of it.

Anybody feel free to add me.
  • lhulewsky
    lhulewsky Posts: 50
    Options
    My experience has been very similar to yours. My diagnosis has been about the same amount of time too. It is nice to know we are not alone in this journey...
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Help got to be totally honest with my group members. My bipolar depression just crash and burned last night and I became suicidal. Went on you tube and listened to something that kinda help me see thinks in a different light some what. Went to the gym and talked things though with friends to. Also got on the elliptical just pushed myself to work though those thoughts. Does anyone else deal with down falls like and how do handle it ?:cry:
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    So glad I found this group! I was diagnosed last year with Bipolar Type I and BPD. I would love to make friends with you all and develop a strong support system, not just for weight loss. Please feel free to add me :)
  • FitnessPal4L1f3
    FitnessPal4L1f3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with bipolar and was completely stunned by this. I always thought that it was just anxiety and depression that I was suffering from and nothing more. I'm having a hard time dealing with it actually so it would be great to have others to talk to about it :)

I just wanted to say HI and offer support - I too have bi-polar and want to offer support.
  • missmatildamoonshine
    missmatildamoonshine Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello! Bipolar too! Gained weight on my medication. Grah!
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I was diagnosed with bipolar II with rapid cycling about 7 years ago. Went off all my meds a few years ago and now, due to some tough things I'm going through, I'm back at it with treatment. :ohwell:
    Hopefully it won't interfere with my weight loss!

Add me if you'd like! :)
  • screamapillar
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I just joined the site and I too struggle with bipolar disorder I (with rapid cycling), as well as some anxiety disorders. I've found that one of my biggest struggles with controlling weight are in due part to being bipolar, and having also had several weight gains and losses due to different medications. I am currently not taking any medications and am hoping to find a way to manage as best as I can with nutrition and fitness for awhile (at least until I have health insurance again.)

Although I know it is an awful struggle to deal with, I am glad to see there are others out there with bipolar that are looking for weight loss and bipolar support. I would love to get to know some of you and find little ways we can support one another and help each other!

Feel free to message/add me :)
  • FitnessPal4L1f3
    FitnessPal4L1f3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I get tired of hearing this crap - "That person is crazy, I think he/she is bi-polar"

I heard this dread-induced phrase yet again this morning - I wish someone could explain to me why "crazy ='s bi-polar".

Pisses me off......

Had I said something to that person, that person would have been crushed - because - surprise-surprise - I am bi-polar but medication HELPS control that side of me.

I just wish I could figure out why people think bi-polar equals crazy *kitten*. I've noticed that even today, the bi-polar term is being replaced by "mood-disorder." Did negative stigma become that bad whereas the name had to be changed.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I get tired of hearing this crap - "That person is crazy, I think he/she is bi-polar"

I heard this dread-induced phrase yet again this morning - I wish someone could explain to me why "crazy ='s bi-polar".

Pisses me off......

Had I said something to that person, that person would have been crushed - because - surprise-surprise - I am bi-polar but medication HELPS control that side of me.

I just wish I could figure out why people think bi-polar equals crazy *kitten*. I've noticed that even today, the bi-polar term is being replaced by "mood-disorder." Did negative stigma become that bad whereas the name had to be changed.

A lot of it you can attribute to the mainstream media, who highlight interviews of when someone finally "had enough"...what was previously labeled "postal" is now "bi-polar." Whether a person has "anger management issues" or gee, anything else that can be labeled and put into a box, that's what happens.

When I'm off my meds, I go either "goth" or manic, ready to take on the world. Mind you, the world is an awefully big place and by the time I'm done doing all my super-hero good deeds, I crash and burn...or is it burn and crash? Either way, I'm washed up and a lump.

Unfortunately, bipolar has received a bad rap, even though many of us function "okay" with the "normal" people.

I personally prefer abby-normal people, because I relate to them better :smile:
  • wordsmith2012
    Options
    Hi Everyone. This is my first post in a forum. I have bipolar II and have been on Celexa/Lexapro and Seroquel for 12 years now. The meds have made me gain 50lbs--I went from 100 lbs to 150 lbs--50% of my weight and even with tons of exercise could not lost weight. Just about a month ago I started MFP and so far I've lost 6 lbs! I think the meds make you hungrier and eat more and you don't notice. I think I was eating about 2000-3000 cals a day. So far, MFP has really worked and I hope it keeps working. My psychiatrist is really unsympathetic about the weight loss. I think drs really need to tell patients about the weight gain side effects.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. This is my first post in a forum. I have bipolar II and have been on Celexa/Lexapro and Seroquel for 12 years now. The meds have made me gain 50lbs--I went from 100 lbs to 150 lbs--50% of my weight and even with tons of exercise could not lost weight. Just about a month ago I started MFP and so far I've lost 6 lbs! I think the meds make you hungrier and eat more and you don't notice. I think I was eating about 2000-3000 cals a day. So far, MFP has really worked and I hope it keeps working. My psychiatrist is really unsympathetic about the weight loss. I think drs really need to tell patients about the weight gain side effects.

Welcome to the forums...glad you are here!

My personal opinion on all the "lovely" (sarcasm) meds we get put on, is that they alter our brains (of course, as that's what they're suppose to do) however the downside is that our brains may no longer realize "Hey! You're full!" when eating. Or causes serious apathy, so we just don't give a darn.

But here's the real kicker, especially in regards to the doctors who give us the meds: everywhere that I have read, when it comes to side-effects of medication, it's written that "your doctor has weighed all the side effects and has decided that the pros outweigh the cons" (well, not quite *that* wording, but y'all get my meaning.)

I'm glad that you've hooked-up with MFP and are saying "the meds will not rule my weight" because even on medications, we CAN lose weight and get healthy. It's just some days may feel rougher than others.

Keep taking your meds, be good to you, and keep up the good fight! We're here with ya! :smile: