How does weight (fat) do its damage?

Options
Fat cells or adipocytes serve a critical function in our bodies. However, like most things too much of a good thing becomes unhealthy. In the right proportion, the adipocytes have both a pro- and anti- inflammatory function. As the scales, literally, tip towards obesity the anti-inflammatory function is dwarfed. What is triggered is a cascade of adipokines, or fat cell generated cytokines. Cytokines coarse through our blood stream every nanosecond telling the body what to do and how to behave. The cytokines are the message and the messenger all wrapped in one. They serve as the universal language between the cells to allow for a unified body. We strive for the language of love and wellness. Unfortunately, as fat amasses the language becomes very "inflammatory". The adipokines in the overweight state read like the who's who list for the most destructive forces in the body. Factors like TNF (Tumor Necrosis Factor), TGF (Tumor Growth Factor), IL-6, RAS, NFkB, IRF...and the list goes on. Thus at its very core overweight/obesity is an inflammatory process. And that chronic inflammatory process is what puts our life at risk. The number we read on the scale is merely a sign or symptom of the problem. To fix the problem and achieve wellness, you must first truly understand your enemy. Consider this a step in that direction.

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    bumping to read more about this
  • DrHardacre
    Options
    As I get settled in to the MyFitnessPal community, I will definitely add more on this topic. And there are volumes to add...Some of the works by Dr. Neal Bernard start scratching the surface in this area.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    i will keep my eyes out for more
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I have found in the past when I was on a path to normal weight and fitness that a number of things that were going wrong in my body improved. Such as asthma and various allergies. Looking forward to reading more about the subject.