Work Outs for the Horse Rider?

Options
Capone007
Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
Have any of you tried any of the items out there specifically marketed to us? I've been looking at some of the yoga stuff in particular, but am not sure. I want something for off the horse mainly, to do at the barn or at home (definitely at home at first so I don't look too crazy).

Any good suggestions? Books, DVD's, etc?

Replies

• epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Books:
    The Rider's Fitness Program by Dianna Robin Dennis
    Centered Riding (Vol. 1 & 2) - Sally Swift

DVDs:
    Success In the Saddle-A Core Fitness Program for the Equestrian (3 DVD set) - Debbie Rodriguez

Yoga & Riding (DVD series) - Linda Benedik

I just bought the first book online and haven't recieved it, so I can't comment on it other than what is in the Amazon reviews. Sally Swift is great for developing a good seat and core strength but it seems to be a book(s) that people either love or hate. It's a little "whoo-whoo" for me, but I liked the concepts. Like Jane Savoie, I think Sally is someone you "get" or you don't.

I worked through the Yoga & Riding DVDs about 2 yrs ago (they are availlable on Netflix). They are good for developing a more centered, balanced seat and flexibility, but not really for developing fitness. The Debbie Rodriguez DVDs are a really good core workout and more in the traditional "workout video" format. You can see a clip at
    <a>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQIo_qzJksc&lt;/a&gt;
  • Capone007
    Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you! I will have to look into the one on Netflix first because we have that. Hopefully, it's on the instant online thing because we don't have the order DVD thing. Either way, I'll check out all the video ones first. I tend to not like to read, unless I have to. ha ha

I've been doing a 15-20 minute light stretch every night (do it after I shower and walk around so my muscles aren't cold), some are ordered by the physical therapist from my neck injury...and others recommended by the massage guy I go to. My cat always joins me on the floor to stretch too!

If everything works out getting the new horse, my plan is to go pretty high with him (he's one of those that are part cat, he he)....so I really want to get myself as fit/flexible/balanced as possible so that I'm not the one hindering us! I've got another 10lbs to go, at least I think so, but I know I need more than just saddle time and barn chores... Yes, I am very competitive, and the new horse is the same way. :)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The yoga was on DVD but it might be online now.

Check out the link on youtube... it looks like they've put a lot of the exercise sequences online... for free!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/successinthesaddle?feature=watch

I personally do a lot of squats, presses, windmills and halos with a 4 kg kettlebell. Then I do various ab exercises (planks, jackknifes, etc.) If you have a stability ball, you can use that too. (search Youtube for stability ball workouts).
  • brow5204
    Options
    I have the video (on DVD): Pilates for the Dressage rider. If you use your core correctly it will whoop your butt! Plus there are some handy exercises to do while riding that will improve your seat and balance.
  • CristiLynnB
    Options
    I haven't really done any workouts specifically for riding but I have found that Yoga and Pilates has really really really helped my balance and my horsemanship.

After I had my baby (by C Section, no less) I really struggled with my balance in the saddle, and my confidence on horseback hit rockbottom.
    But, ever since a friend at work convinced me to train and complete a 5k run, I have really noticed that losing weight and getting in shape has done wonders for my balance and riding ability.
    Then throw in some Yoga and Pilates, which really concentrate on core stability, and my confidence is back to being sky high!!
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    An enthusiastic recommendation for Eckart Meyner's writings. He has a new book out, Rider Fitness: Body and Brain, 180 Anytime, Anywhere Exercises, but you might be able to find some of his earlier stuff on the net. I had the chance to work with him once in Germany--5 minutes into my assessment ride, he asked, "are you blind in your right eye?" which I am. He could tell because of the way I carried my head--which affected the way my shoulders were placed, which affected how I was sitting in the saddle, which was why I had a tendency to sit slightly off-center and had problems with my leg position on one side. He was soooooo helpful in suggesting exercises to get my muscles relax and to learn when I was symmetrical; he's also great on increasing flexibility, especially in hips, and spine. Really good low impact stretches that you can do sitting on a chair at home as well as on a horse, using a lot of pilates for increasing co-ordination and lengthening muscles that get short from bad posture, etc. He is worth every penny