SWTOR vs WoW

Options
kapeluza
kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
Ok, wowgeeks and star wars nerds, if you've played both which one do you feel you will be sticking with?
Honestly, I cancelled my wow subscription yet again for the 3rd time in 6 years. Going to play Star Wars until Mists probably. I will probably play mists for a month and end up cancelling yet again.

Has Star Wars won you over?

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Confession time. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan. I mean I still have all sorts of collectables that I bought as a teenager. But I have never played SWTOR because of addiction issues. I'm afraid I'll never leave the house lol. I really want to play it though.:cry:
    I had to cancel my WOW membership cause I was starting to live on the game. I miss it but I enjoy live better lol
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I play WoW, got into the SWToR beta, but will probably end up sticking with WoW. I love Star Wars lore, the game seems pretty polished and the starting areas and quests are great, but overall I just didn't like it enough to commit to it. Maybe in a couple of months once they have all the kinks worked out I'll give it a try for a month or two, but I don't think I'll play for longer that that.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm not a WoW player (played for like 2 hours but couldn't stand it and very quickly returned to my lush green Middle Earth), but will be playing SWTOR as a side game. I enjoyed the beta, but it just didn't grab a hold of me. A lot of my LOTRO friends started with the pre-launch, but have slowly started to play less already and come back to us :P . I won't be able to start until Sunday because I'm at my parents' house with dial-up speed innerwebz, but we'll see.
  • GossInABox
    GossInABox Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I played WoW for a little while, but never got too far into it. Maybe was around for a couple of months one summer, trying to get into the RP community. I'm absolutely loving SWToR so far. And again, hoping to break into some RP. I've got a level 22 Jedi Sage so far. :)
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have been playing WoW for over a year. I got SWTOR for xmas and I haven't even considered logging into WoW since then. I'll probably disable my WoW account soon. It helps that I have a lot of friends playing SWTOR with me and it feels like a fresh start.
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    ToR. I played wow since the first stress tests and closed betas. I liked it, but it got silly. ToR is good right now, there are things I miss from SWG that i would have loved to have seen in a Star Wars game, but I'll deal. The story line is amazing and engrossing.
  • kylacarroll
    kylacarroll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've played WoW since the end of BC. So I've experienced the last two expansions pretty seriously, and I can honestly say, I think WoW is dead. TOR was the killing blow, but it was a killing blow on a plagued, diseased, and wretched body. Putting it out of it's misery. And if WoW for some reason contracts the plague and rises from the dead, Mists of Pandaria will be there with plenty of more death.

I'm not saying TOR is a perfect game. Of course it isn't. But it's the closest I've seen. Ever.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I played WoW from launch through the start of cataclysm. I cancelled because it felt like the same old grind again and I lost interest. I'm loving questing in TOR because the cutscenes invest you in the quests more then just a textbox and "collect 20 of these for me."
  • inkedartist
    Options
    Star Wars for me all the way. I got really bored of WoW early on and have been waiting for this game forever!

:D
  • karmaticgeek
    Options
    I played the beta and loved the dialogue and other elements they've taken from KOTOR but I still haven't subscribed. I've played WoW for 5 years and developed too much of an attachment to the game, the world, the lore and my characters to just replace it. I'd play both in an ideal world but I just haven't got the time for two major time sinks in my life. That said, WoW definitely isn't what it used to be. If I were to give it up for anything, it'd be TOR.
  • Mahu77
    Mahu77 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm playing both, casually, of course or I'd risk burn out again. I've been playing WoW since day 1, and I still enjoy the game. I love Star Wars, and TOR got it right in my opinion. They're both great games, but they are definitely different enough that they can cater to different play styles. TOR will definitely emerse you into the story of the setting, and you will come to develop a bond for your character. WoW does have a good story line, but it doesn't really get you into it in the way TOR does as most people read only the quick description on quest logs in WoW. In the last year, WoW has finally put in some minor cut scenes here and there depending on what quest line you're running through, and I really enjoy that. So, unless either one completely fails me in some major way, I'll continue to share my liesure time among both.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I haven't played wow in over a month.

Star Wars has definitely won me over! i'm having a lot of fun leveling and not once have I felt like "omg hurry up already and get to top lvl" like I did every time I leveled a toon in wow!

I love that there is a story line that you are actually following and you feel like you're actually completing these missions instead of just doing another quest!

I do miss my wow guildies and will probably go back for them since they won't come play star wars! but I don't miss wow!
  • Lady_Chilli
    Lady_Chilli Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've played Wow for a few years and cancelled my subscription just before the release of SWTOR. I got sick of WoW in the end, it just seems that they are forever nerfing one character to boost another and people do nothing but swap from 1 character to another. I played the game for around 6 hours again sometimes but the frustration was getting too much.
    SWTOR is a nice change but not too much of a change to be missing WoW yet. I'm enjoying the PVE element as it is a lot more interesting questing than wow but I do wonder once you've rolled 1 character whether the next character will become tedious and boring.
    There are also a lot of bugs in it atm but thats to be expected of course. Who knows whether I'll be back to WoW.
    Until then... 'Let the Force be with you' :tongue:
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've lost count as to how many MMOs I've tried over the years. I still have my WoW account running and I also have my SWTOR account going ;) I try to moderate time spent on them and wouldn't mind meeting up with some of you in game. I know many people like to play with their RL friends but I'm different of course, I like to get to know new people that I wouldn't normally to get know around me.

Anyone want to talk about gaming SWTOR and WoW of course or fitness or anything else I'd be glad to get to know you and share experiences!
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying SWoTR but I don't think I would ever leave WoW for it. I love everything about WoW, plus I play with some of my best friends.

I have tried all the other MMOs since WoW was released and the only other one besides SWoTR that even captures my attention for a moment was RIFT. Sadly after a bit, I didn't care for RIFT anymore either.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I quickly tired of RIFT too, I even tried Star Trek Online which is now going free to play apparently.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I love WoW. I have tried other games but I always come back to WoW. I guess you always love your first MMO.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Kristy, WoW was my first MMO. Played for 6 years but I am so burnt out and the content just seems to be getting worse =/

I hope MoP improves. I canceled my account for the 4th time lol. It's Star Wars for me until MoP!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    It's a shame we didn't all start off on the same server, would have been nice to get an "MFP" guild going ;) In SWTOR I mean :)
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Can't stand either. Just closed my SWTOR account. The questing makes me want to stab my eyes out. Seems like it would be an awesom stand alone game, not an MMO. I'm nostalgic for Dark Age of Camelot.