~*~Phase ONE~*~

Options
getsveltEagain
getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
Build Healthy Habits in Phase 1

During this first phase of my 12-week trainer, you'll make a habit of working out and eating healthy, perhaps for the first time in your life.

You're going to start with weight training, which is like the fountain of youth, an anti-gravity miracle that helps tighten and tone your body from head to toe. When you add more lean muscle to your frame, your metabolism increases even more. That means you'll burn more body fat, even while at rest.

What you won't be doing, believe it or not, is cardiovascular exercise. That's right -- NO CARDIO! Free pass. This'll ensure your body is adding the muscle you want, and not using up too many calories for immediate fuel rather than muscle building.

What you won't be doing, believe it or not, is cardiovascular exercise.
Speaking of fuel, you should be having a small, nutrition-packed meal every 2 to 3 hours. Eating this way will supply your body with a steady flow of nutrients, boosting your metabolism too. Your body will begin to release its stored body fat as fuel. The net result will be sustainable weight loss!

You'll learn about the best supplements to use for increased energy, accelerated fat loss, and optimal results. These are the same types of products I use myself!

The Crucial First Two Weeks

This is the muscle-endurance phase, and it's based on a traditional training split. The goal is to prepare your muscles for a strength-training program that will also promote muscle growth. Not bodybuilder-quantity muscle, but leaned, toned muscle that'll give your body the "lines" you've always wanted.

During these first two weeks, I want you to do 3 sets of 12 repetitions (3 X 12) per exercise, resting 60 seconds (give or take) in between each set.

THE SUCCESS FORMULA FOR TRAINING
3 SETS PER EXCERCISE
12 REPS PER SET
60 SECONDS REST IN BETWEEN

The intensity level (i.e. the amount of weight you should aim to lift) should be 60% of what you think would be your maximum effort. For example, if you think most weight you can handle for one perfectly executed dumbbell curl is 30 pounds—but that you could do no more than that—choose either 17½ or 20-pound dumbbells. (The equation: 30 X .60 = 18 pounds, so round up or down to the nearest weight.)

This calculation can and should be tweaked as your actual sets unfold. Your last repetition of the 10 should be difficult but possible to complete with tight rather than sloppy form. If it's too easy, increase the weight. Too hard? Decrease it. You're probably champing at the bit to shape up, which is great, but don't go overboard by doing too much (volume, intensity, etc.) too soon. This can lead to excessive muscle soreness and possibly overtraining. Stick with the program. It works!

Stick with the program. It works!

Designate four days to complete each week's training split. Choose any day that works best within your broader schedule, as well as any time of day, although it's best to separate weight training days with non-training days. Depending on gym traffic, your training pace and other factors, each workout should take you an hour or so to complete.

Building On Your Momentum

The third week marks the start of the muscle-building phase. This will continue for the next 6 weeks and include a variety of exercises and training variables at each stage.

Though your sets will stay at 3 in this phase, your reps will fall to 10 (3 X 10). That's because I want you to go a little heavier, like 80% of your maximum effort. Bear in mind that your max may have increased after 2 weeks of training. Now, you might be able to curl a 35-pound dumbbell for one clean rep. So 80% of that would be 28 pounds. Last time I checked gyms don't carry 28s, so round up to 30 or 25, respectively.

Stick with the program. It works!

Again, the true guide comes from actually doing the set. Your last repetition of the 10 should be difficult but not impossible to complete. Remember, too easy, increase the weight; too hard, decrease it.

As we progress through the program, we'll be applying techniques to increase strength and promote hypertrophy (muscle building). With heavier weight, you may now need to extend your rest period from 60 seconds to 120, or something in between. The workout for Weeks 1 and 2 required 4 days of training. During Weeks 3 and 4, the split increases to 5 days. Though some muscle combinations (back with biceps; chest with triceps) will stay the same, think about what area of your body is the weakest or troubles you the most aesthetically.

Remember, too easy, increase the weight; too hard, decrease it.

Organize this 5-day split to allow 2 days for training that lagging body part. Start with the lagging body part as your first training day and then place it on your schedule again three days later. This will allow for enough recovery time between training days.

Each of these routines should take about 1 hour to 1 ½ hours to complete, depending on your pace and the traffic at your gym.

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    Options
    Daily Programs For Phase 1

Here's an introduction to the Phase 1 workouts you'll be following. Each day has a printable guide complete with that day's workout, meal plan or both (on bodybuilding.com/livefit):

Week 1

Day 1 Chest & Triceps
    Day 2 Back & Biceps
    Day 3 Legs & Calves
    Day 4 Shoulders & Abs
    Day 5 Rest
    Day 6 Rest
    Day 7 Rest

*I'll post weekly what the work out is :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Week 1

Day 1 Chest & Triceps
    Day 2 Back & Biceps
    Day 3 Legs & Calves
    Day 4 Shoulders & Abs
    Day 5 Rest
    Day 6 Rest
    Day 7 Rest

My rest days will be Sun (I am actually running a 5K :wink:), Wed (because of school and bowling league), and Sat (but I may throw in a workout for the "weakest" part and rearrange the workout the following week to build strength). So I will look like this:
    Day 1 Rest
    Day 2 Chest & Triceps
    Day 3 Back & Biceps
    Day 4 Rest
    Day 5 Legs & Calves
    Day 6 Shoulders & Abs
    Day 7 Rest (maybe a workout)

I will be starting with 15 pound weights... I did the one perfect curl at the gym last night and 30 pounds was a bit much. I can increase that weight if I find I am not dying on set three. I hear a lot of people comment about making sure you lift heavy in phase one so that the next phases aren't super hard.
  • MissGoHard
    MissGoHard Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey and thanks for posting this! I am going to follow the plan as is. I was was skepitical adding not doing any cardio the first 4 weeks, but I guess I have to trust the process. I've read so many good things about this program, so here we go.

I will work out M-R and rest Friday through Sunday...

Are you going to supplement?
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Hey and thanks for posting this! I am going to follow the plan as is. I was was skepitical adding not doing any cardio the first 4 weeks, but I guess I have to trust the process. I've read so many good things about this program, so here we go.

I will work out M-R and rest Friday through Sunday...

Are you going to supplement?

I am going to use flax seed only because my mom has some that I can try. I do have a little bit of whey powder, but I don't know how often I will use it.... it might be better than "egg whites" every night after a workout :laugh:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Allright! I give! Im going to follow the eating program as long as I can. Been researchig it all day. I found an alternative recipe for protein bars and they are a bit easier. 1 of them equals 2 of the pumpkin bars.

2 scoops protein powder
    1 cup oats
    4 egg whites
    1/2c applesauce unsweetened
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1 tblsp peanutbutter
    Mix eggs and oatmeal then everything else in
    bake at 350 for 20 min
    makes9- 83 cals each

Im planning to vary days of exercise I will get 4 in a week no problem but my schedules varies so It will also vary. It seems scary to me to not do cardio! Im going to be strong about it though!
  • MissGoHard
    MissGoHard Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!! The no cardio freaks me out too! And to be honest thats why I had not started this before... I am a cardio junkie. But it is only 4 weeks and we will be building muscle... which will burn more fat. So we'll just have to keep repeating that in our heads. =)
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Allright! I give! Im going to follow the eating program as long as I can. Been researchig it all day. I found an alternative recipe for protein bars and they are a bit easier. 1 of them equals 2 of the pumpkin bars.

2 scoops protein powder
    1 cup oats
    4 egg whites
    1/2c applesauce unsweetened
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1 tblsp peanutbutter
    Mix eggs and oatmeal then everything else in
    bake at 350 for 20 min
    makes9- 83 cals each

Im planning to vary days of exercise I will get 4 in a week no problem but my schedules varies so It will also vary. It seems scary to me to not do cardio! Im going to be strong about it though!

That is awesome!!! I will have to make some of those! Do you mind posting this in the Nutrition thread? I will be doing the same thing with any recipes I find. I think that it will help everyone out to have ideas to chose from

I know that I will be doing cardio because I am training for a half marathon in May.... I can't be slacking!? It actually means I should get to eat more (protien!?) LOL
  • scgma
    scgma Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Let's get this party started !!!!!! I am soooo ready for this !!!:drinker:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    My rest days will be Sun (I am actually running a 5K :wink:), Wed (because of school and bowling league), and Sat (but I may throw in a workout for the "weakest" part and rearrange the workout the following week to build strength). So I will look like this:
    Day 1 Rest
    Day 2 Chest & Triceps
    Day 3 Back & Biceps
    Day 4 Rest
    Day 5 Legs & Calves
    Day 6 Shoulders & Abs
    Day 7 Rest (maybe a workout)

I will be starting with 15 pound weights... I did the one perfect curl at the gym last night and 30 pounds was a bit much. I can increase that weight if I find I am not dying on set three. I hear a lot of people comment about making sure you lift heavy in phase one so that the next phases aren't super hard.

I did the chest & triceps workout today. I did the pushups in 3 sets of 4 for each twelve just because I can't do them straight through yet. I used 15 lb weights (dumbbells) for the bench press in all three sets. I did chest fly's since I couldn't do the cable pull and used 15 lbs for the first two sets and used 10 lbs for the last set. For the narrow pushups I used the squat bar and put my hands under my shoulders. I dipped more and tried to use my triceps to pushup... I would have crashed into the mat and possible not even been able to do ONE full set. I had to do those three sets in mini sets of 6 for each since I am weak. Did the pull down machine with 15 lbs for all three sets. The overhead tricep exercise I did two sets at the 15 lbs and the last one at 12 lbs.

I also did the leg & calve workout. I did the leg press at 90 pounds for all three sets. Next were the leg extensions and those were at 65 lbs for all three sets. The wide stance squat with the barbell was very tricky since I had trouble since I put on a total of 50 lbs (edit: to correct weight...). The leg curls were at 65 lbs for the first two sets with 80 lbs for the last one. The standing calve raises were hard because my local YMCA doesn't have that machine :noway: So I stood on the base of a machine and did them with a weight bar (15 lbs) for the first two sets and just used my weight for the last one. The seated calve raises was an adventure on how to use the machine... not like the picture at all!? But those were done with 40 lbs for all three sets.

Tomorrow I am prepared to be sore and not able to move but I am happy with it all :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    So tonight I did the Shoulders&Abs plus the Back&Biceps. Here is the summary of how I did.

Shoulders started with seated dumbbell press and I did those with 15 lbs. Next was the front delt raise to a "T"... I am not sure if I did these right but I did my best. I those with 8 ;bs for the first set and then finished with 5 lbs. Following that was side lateral raised and I did those all with 5 lbs. Finally for shoulders was the seated bent over rear fly with the 5 lb again. Start the crunches!? I was just fine witht he ball crunches and made sure that I did a full range of motion to get the best workout I could :wink: Next were the dreaded air bike exercises :grumble: I had to do those in 2 sets of 6 for the 12s. I need to work on those for sure!!

Back and bicep workout started with the wide grip lat pull-down which I did at 40 lbs for the first two sets and finished with 55 lbs. Following that was the one-arm dumbbell row which I started with the 15 lbs and then did the final two at 20 lbs. Next was the seated cable row which was a bit trick just because the weights said 1/2/3/4/5/6 which I have to assume was 10/20/30/40/50/60 and I did the 60 for all three sets. I moved onto the underhand cable pulldown managing to do 40 lbs. I continued to the alternating dumbbel curl and that was tough! I started with 12 lbs or the first set and then lightened up to 10 lbs for the next two. Almost done witht eh one-arm dumbbell curl able to use the 8 lb for all three sets. FINALLY finishing with the standing bicep curls that wiped me out I started with 15 lbs but I had to cut back and finished with 10 lbs.

I am diffanently feeling this in my shoulders and I am hoping (as strange as that sounds) tomorrow that I feel it in my abs :bigsmile:
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    I know that I will be doing cardio because I am training for a half marathon in May.... I can't be slacking!? It actually means I should get to eat more (protien!?) LOL

I'm running my first ever marathon in May (its for charity but yes still insane!) so I have to run even during this phase but I'm not doing any extra cardio.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Daily Programs For Phase 1

Here's an introduction to the Phase 1 workouts you'll be following. Each day has a printable guide complete with that day's workout, meal plan or both (on bodybuilding.com/livefit):

Week 2

Day 1 Chest & Triceps
    Day 2 Back & Biceps
    Day 3 Legs & Calves
    Day 4 Shoulders & Abs
    Day 5 Rest
    Day 6 Rest
    Day 7 Rest

*This is the same as week one with the exercises :wink:
  • rdpixie
    Options
    Starting week 2 today!

Last week I think I found the Back & Biceps workout the most challenging to complete but I definitely suffered the most after the legs workout! That might have to do something with my running as well but wither way I felt it for 2 days after!

Nutrition side of things seems to be going ok-ish but need to continue to eat at 3 hr intervals as I was getting out of the swing of things by the end of the week. Still healthy choices though!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I did the chest & triceps workout yesterday. I started with the narrow pushups since I was sure that I did them "wrong" last time :noway: and I wanted to really make an effort. I didn't go down very far (I would collapse to the mat) and I had to do them in sets of 3 the first time, then went to sets of 4 for the next two.... BUT I DID THEM! :drinker: I used 15 lb weights (dumbbells) for the bench press first set and then went to the 20 lbs weights for the second set, followed with 3 reps in the third set finishing that out with the 15 lb. That is an improvement over last week! :bigsmile: I did chest fly's since I couldn't do the cable pull and used 15 lbs for the all the sets and that is an improvement over last week! :happy: I did the pushups in 3 sets of 4 for the first two sets and then did 4 and 8 for the last set! I might work on the pushups on rest days just to get to 10 in a set without resting (maybe the narrow ones too!?). Next I did the overhead tricep exercise because someone was on the pull down machine, I did all the sets at with 15 lbs so I improved over last week! :flowerforyou: Finally did the pull down machine with 20 lbs for the first two sets and finished with 15 for the last set. Which is better than last week too! :blushing: Overall a much heavier workout!

While doing the narrow pushups I "pulled" a muscle in my neck/shoulder that made it a little tricky to turn my head... the kind of kink that you get from sleeping wrong. I finished the work out and the muscle only bothered me a little bit. Once I got home I put on some Icy Hot to work it out. I am still a little sore this morning but not like yesterday, the icy hot helped :wink:

I am not as sore as I was last week either!? I feel my triceps alittle but I figured that would be the case with actually working them and increasing the weights. I am really proud of my work out last night and can't wait to do Legs & Calves tonight!!!! :glasses:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I was taking time to look at week three and four to see what exercises are in store for us and I found that Jamie has messages on Rest days!! So here is the message from day 5

Today is a day of rest. Enjoy: you've earned it!

You might be a little sore from yesterday's workout, but you shouldn't have any trouble picking up the kids or hefting heavy groceries.

If your muscles ache, don't grow discouraged. In fact, you should be proud! Your body is adjusting to your new lifestyle and responding to the challenge. A little soreness means you're making progress. It's natural, and it's why we rest.

On your non-workout days, we'll cover nutrition in more detail down the road. For now, make sure you:

■Drink at least 64 oz. of water
    ■Take your multivitamin with a meal.
    ■Don't forget to take your tablespoon of flax or fish oil.

What now? There's a long way to go, so take today for yourself. Recover, reflect on everything you've accomplished, and designate some time to relax.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    So here is the message from day 6

Today's another rest day, so you can relax and let your body cool down.

Even though we're in the first week of your life-changing transformation, keep an eye out for positive changes! Maybe your body fat hasn't budged, but your energy and attitude should be on the rise.

Keep yourself motivated by thinking about the end of the week. You'll look great, feel better and be incredibly empowered.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    So here is the message from day 7

This is it, the last day of the first week of your lifetime transformation. Pat yourself on the back! You're on your way to becoming the best you possible.

Remember:

■You should still be eating every few hours to keep your body fueled with sustained energy.

■If your body knows it's going to be fed frequently, it will start releasing fat instead of storing it for future energy.

■Keeping your body properly fueled can help keep your blood sugar levels stable, your mind alert and your body energized.
    We've got chest and triceps tomorrow, so aim to get 8 hours of sleep tonight.
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I did the leg & calves workout yesterday. I did the leg press at 70 pounds for the first two sets and went to 85 pounds for the last set. The weights are lower this time because I used a different machine. Instead of my butt being on the ground pushing the weight away from me I was in a "chair" and I pushed myself away from my feet. I am not sure which machine I like better but I probably will stick to the other machine since it is the one pictured in the workout. Next were the leg extensions and those were at 80 lbs for the first set and 65 pounds for the last two sets. So I really only swaped around the weights :laugh: The wide stance squat with the barbell was better this time and started with 50 lbs then went to 70 pounds for the next set and ended with 60 pounds the last set. So that is a great improvement :glasses: The leg curls were at 80 lbs for all three sets. Which is up from last week making an improvement :bigsmile: My local YMCA doesn't have the machine :noway: for the standing calve raises so I stood on the base of a machine and did them without a weight bar and just used my weight to get the full range of motion and not lose my balance. The seated calve raises were done with 50 lbs for the first two sets and then on the last set my cousin added 10 pounds on one side on rep six and a 10 pounds on the other side for the last three reps. That is a big increase in weight from last week :flowerforyou:

I am not sure if I pushed myself enough because I am not sore at all in my legs... hope bowling uses muscles that are sore to make me realize I did workout yesterday!? I wasn't really sore after last weeks leg & calve workout, just a little on the top of my thighs.

My neck is better but still sore some. I think that will work itself out over this rest day and some more icy hot!? LOL :happy:
  • rdpixie
    Options
    Chest and tri was the killer for me this week. I was doing the pushups on my knees and using 5kg (approx 11lbs) for chest press, chest fly (no cable machine) and overhead tricep extensions. Also did dips. Owie!