Xbox kinect

Options
So, we just got a kinect system for the Xbox. It is amazing.

I'm really not a gamer (even though I'm s little fat hobbit of a computer support tech that you would assume would be a massive gamer), but this is wonderful. The games that I've played (adventures, and some dancing thing) are really good and I'm looking forward to downloading more. Luckily, the local video and music place has plenty of titles to rent before I buy more.

It's really quite a workout, and very fun.

I'm not a gym sort of guy, although maybe I should join something, so I've been using this every night since it was purchased as my workout. Well, I tell my wife I'm working out, but I'm really playing and having a blast.

I've seen the wii fit things, and although they have their place, they seemed a bit too serious for me. I find this setup gets me sweating and really enjoying it. I'm just hoping that he thrill doesn't wear off, but if it does, I'll just have to force myself to get up and do it anyway.

So,,,, what other fun ways have you found to get a bit active? I'd like to know what others are doing, not only as serious "nose to the grindstone" excersize, but excersize with a dose of fun.

Replies

• ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    what are you playing? I mean working out to?LOL I understand totally. We got one for Christmas as well. Just dance 2 is SOO much fun, as is the adventure and sports games so far. Loving it. I need to wear my hrm to see what kind of burn I'm getting.
  • raines_eric
    Options
    I found a Tae Bo DVD at Sam's Club the other day for under $15 and it came with weighted gloves! Tae Bo is one of the best calorie burners and as I used to do some boxing and enjoyed it I think I'll be more inclined to stick with it than the usual treadmill program which bores me to tears.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Kids got one for Christmas from my dad (at my request. tee hee!). Someone on MFP recommended the Your Shape 2012 game. At first, I thought it was more of a personal trainer program. But, I was wrong. There are fun "games" that we can play alone or against each other and tons of stuff to do. IT will even set up a recommended program based on your goals. It's FUN, really tones, and gets my heartrate up. I intend to only do 20-30 minutes but an hour is up before I realize it and I've burned 450-550 calories (with chest strap HRM). I LOVE IT!
  • stlshawn
    Options
    I'm still doing just the adventures one and the driving one. I'm looking forward to fruit ninja though, looks like a hoot :)

There's a demo for a shape up one on the adventure game, I think I'm going to rent that one, or the one you mentioned,,, or maybe they are the same.

It is great fun,,,, and for me that's the whole thing, has to be fun or I know I won't stick with it.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Shawn-what driving game? We have Mario Kart for Wii..but I haven't heard of one for the Xbox Kinect. That sounds fun! I'm with you..it has to be FUN or I won't do it!
  • stlshawn
    Options
    I don't remember,,, but I'll set myself a reminder to look at the demo tonight. It's really fun though.

Maybe we should start a thread on "fun" excersize. I like tae Bo suggestion above, and there must be others out there.