Walk it out, Walk it out!

Options
sunnydays33
sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
Now that I have 'lil Wayne stuck in my head...here's the post for the walkers!

My regular neighborhood loop is just over 3 miles, pretty much a 5k. When I first started it took me about 55-60 min to complete this. Now, I average about 45 min and if I'm hustling I can knock it out in 35 minutes! This week I averaged about 400-500 calories burned on this excercise.

We signed up for the Shamrock run again in March and I wanna do this 5k in under 30 min. (The picture from last years' race was one of the biggest motivators. You can check it out on my profile-it's horrifying) Of course I would pick a 5k, that you run for beer as the reward at the finish line! ;o)

Replies

• CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My mom, sisters, and I do a yearly 5K for the local hospital which supports breast cancer, as I was doing my very first C25K this morning I was thinking wonder if I'll be able to jog/run it this year? Guess I should set it up as a goal ;-)
  • TonyNMitchell
    TonyNMitchell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of our (wife and I) goal for 2012 is to do 5 family 5K events this summer. I have everyone going to the gym AT LEAST once a day training and working on cardio to do it. If we make the 5 events We intend to up our goal and push further. 2013 we are thinking 10K and like you setting time goals also.
  • fee2dancesing
    Options
    Sounds awesome! I'll be signing up for the Shamrock Shuffle in my area too! I haven't set too many goals for this year, I know that I have 2 5k's set up for this year and want to loose pounds. Since I tend to over think things I'm trying really hard to not make myself feel like I have to meet certain milestones or else. When I've done that in the past I get an all or nothing mentality. On top of that I'm starting school in 2 weeks and I need to find a balance between work (40+) hours, school (full time) , family, working out, and trying to stay sane in the mist of it all. So I'm looking forward to these challenges and meeting all of you.
    Make it a great day...MOVE!
  • sunnydays33
    Options
    I hear ya fee: I tend to get all crazy-obsessed too, I am an extremist by nature in everything I do in life. I am hoping that having this group and being accountable will continue to sink in as part of that lifestyle change that I am continually striving for.

The races are my favorite!! Just signing up for them is the little push I need to stay interested. Well that and all the costumes, flair and social-ness surrounding them is what I really LOVE!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I almost wimped out tonight.

We had a complicated evening with a dishwasher repair guy showing up late at 6:40 PM. Before that I was getting a hair cut. Before I knew it it was already after 9:30 and my wife was going to bed. I was feeling really let down that I was going to wimp on the challenge already. I told my wife I was feeling disappointed and she said "so go on a walk." I got on our elliptical machine instead with the hope of doing 20 minutes. I did 33 minutes!
  • sunnydays33
    Options
    I almost wimped out tonight.

We had a complicated evening with a dishwasher repair guy showing up late at 6:40 PM. Before that I was getting a hair cut. Before I knew it it was already after 9:30 and my wife was going to bed. I was feeling really let down that I was going to wimp on the challenge already. I told my wife I was feeling disappointed and she said "so go on a walk." I got on our elliptical machine instead with the hope of doing 20 minutes. I did 33 minutes!

Way to go David!! I know that feeling exactly!! And...btw, once you have built your new habits (excercising for 30 min/day) try to let go of that guilt. Here's what I strive for in food and excercise: try to be 90% perfect and the other 10% is just life.

I know this for sure: I didn't get fat by doing the right thing 'most' of the time. In fact, I was doing the opposite. The good choices you make will soon be the majority, and a day here or there to relax is not going to send you into a tail spin. However, sometimes a little kick in the booty is all you need to get back out there, so I'm super proud of you for pushing thru!!