What's your motivation to recover?

Options
2»

Replies

• littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My new motivation:
    I am going into a hospital program which lets me out on evenings and weekends. My college professors are giving up their evenings to coach me so that I can pass the year, when they should be spending that time with their kids, or giving concerts. The sooner I recover, the sooner they get to see their kids on weeknights again.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    1. I want to be under 200lbs
    2. I want to be healthy
    3. I want to stop hating myself
    4. I want to eat like a normal person
    5. I want to stop feeling ashamed
    6. I want to stop destroying my pancreas
    7. I want to be in control of my behavior
    8. I want a better quality of life
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My motivation: To be able to be outside a hospital room, able to move on my own.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do something positive for my self. Not about food or related to the illness.

One day I will say Hi to people before they say hi to me. They smile, I smile. It's all good.

One day I will buy myself flowers.

I wash windows and let in the sun.

I play my favorite music.

One day at a time. Don't expect miracles. Don't punish yourself if you "fail" or have a bad day.

Then next day just get up. Do something nice for someone else.

Do more for others and it will strengthen your resolve to be better to yourself.

These are some things that help me.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't realize that I was relapsing until I started working with a dietitian to help me lose weight after I was diagnosed with a heart condition. The dietitian was telling me to eat 1400 calories a day, at least 120 carbs throughout the day, etc., etc. and I started sobbing and insisting that I couldn't do that (I had been restricting at ~500cal/day for a litle over a month by then). She fought with me for about 3 months before I finally went back to my previous therapist for an evaluation. By then, it had escalated to the point that I was doing fasting days and I was having weeks of daily binges and purges, which is harder to be in denial about. The truth is that some days I am more interested in recovery than others. Today I am waning a little bit but I'm trying to remember that my heart is sick and if I continue doing what I have been - whether it's starving, purging, bingeing, or compusively overeating - it is just going to get worse. So that's my motivation today.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    oh, and I made an agreement with myself to stay off pro-ED and CRON sites and to try to connect only with people who are at least trying to recover. I'm too easily triggered by people whose irrationality can seem so rational to me. If any one is looking for friends, please send a request - I could use some!
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I want to be free; I don't want to obsess over food and calories and exercise . For just one day, I would like to be able to make decisions without having meltdowns, panic attacks, depression afterwards, etc. I don't want to be a prisoner anymore.
  • seekingthepatienceofjob
    Options
    I want to be free; I don't want to obsess over food and calories and exercise . For just one day, I would like to be able to make decisions without having meltdowns, panic attacks, depression afterwards, etc. I don't want to be a prisoner anymore.

I agree. It holds you back from a lot of things. It took me so long to even have a good time at a party...just because I would obsess about the food, calories, weight...I dont want food to control my life. Honestly, that is the ONLY motivation for me to recover right now.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My sweet, beautiful baby!