What works for YOU?

skylark94
skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
I think the biggest thing I have learned in my struggle for fitness has been that there is not one method or plan that will work for everyone. The key is to find the right foods in the right amounts and a form of exercise that you find yourself wanting to do.

I think of myself as a professional dieter. I have done Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, LA Weight Loss, Atkins, South Beach, and more pills and shakes that I care to think about. I've joined gyms and have never gone, bought countless videos, and tons of equipment such as Total Gym, Bowflex, and treadmills. You name it, I've probably tried it at one point or another.

For many people logging food does not work, but I have found MFP invaluable in helping me to realize just how many calories I was consuming every day. Once I got in the habit of measuring and logging what I ate, I stated to be able to see the proper portions. It's not about being obsessive; it's about being educated. Knowing what I was eating was what I needed

I have not cut anything out of my diet, except maybe sugared sodas. I usually prefer water with my meals anyway. I still eat sugar, white foods, and the occasional giant fattening meal. It's not one single item that makes the difference. Rather, it is the sum of all things. Portion control has been the absolute #1 key to my success.

Eating enough has also been huge for me. I came to realize that my diets had always failed in the past because I was feeling deprived and I was hungry all the time. 1,200 calorie diets simply don't make for long term success. I have found my best balance at a net intake of 1,600. On most days I will consume 1,800-2,100 calories and exercise myself down to 1,600. (2,100 in - 500 burned = 1,600 net) I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor to be sure I have an accurate calorie burn when I exercise.

EXERCISE! I could diet, diet, diet, but without exercise I never succeed. My proudest day was the day I realized that I COULD RUN! My short, stocky, self never believed I could be a runner, but with the right program (Couch 2 5k) I was able to build up to being able to run for an hour without stopping. A knee injury did sidetrack me for a while, but I am now back in the game and working on a goal of running 2 miles in 18:00.
I also really enjoy strength training using body weight exercises such as push ups, squats, and pull ups. I'm using a program called You Are Your Own Gym for that. When i started out in September I could do only 7 "girlie" push ups with my knees on the floor. I am now up to doing 12 "real" push ups with a goal of 35.

My favorite source of information is www.fat2fitradio.com They promote healthy weight loss, not fad and crash diets. While their suggestions did not cause me to lose 2 pounds a week, they have taught me to live a healthy lifestyle which will lead to lifelong maintenance.

Anyone else care to share their secrets?

Replies

• Propspony
    Propspony Posts: 5 Member
    I like fat2fit radio as well. The guy seems to be "normal" just like all of us. Not some chiseled hardbody who doesn't look like he's ever eaten a donut in his life. I kinda dig that. :-)

Mine is portion control. I have a hard time keeping weight off if I'm not in the "new relationship adrenaline rush." So, portion control and running. (I get really bored in classes and things like that)

The other thing that has really helped me was that I started taking L Carnitine. It's an amino acid that helps the body utilize energy better, and it really has improved how much energy I have throughout the day. It isn't shaky, nervous, feel bad energy (like when you take a diet supplement) you just feel... better and brighter. It's in the vitamin aisle at wal-mart. It's a little pricey, about 11 dollars for a bottle, but for me it was like night and day and it makes a HUGE difference!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    I hate to put it this way, but I think sheer desperation is what is working for me. I just can't stand the thought of becoming less and less able to do anything physically as the weight deteriorates my spine year after year, and I don't like looking or feeling this way, either.