New here and looking for ideas

Options
Hey all! I'm new here. I found this group after clicking on a friends post. I'm glad I found it though, because I could really use some inspiration for picking out a new wardrobe. For the past decade and a half, I've worked in a gym or other fitness setting and then went back to school for my degree in exercise physiology, so my basic wardrobe has been jeans, yoga pants, or athletic shorts paired with t-shirts, tanks, and sweatshirts. My hair gets pulled up in a pony tail and I rarely wear make up. Yes, I'll be 40 in May and still dress like a sloppy teenager. LOL Anyway, after I complete my internship in March, I will finally walk across the stage and graduate and then go on to grad school and a new job. Problem is, I need to find some ideas for clothes to fit the new persona. While I'm in my internship and, hopefully, while working once I move, I'll be in scrubs all the time, so I know I'll have to buy those. But I'm thinking that while I'm sitting in classes at night in grad school, I may be able to dress like a normal human being and look like a woman instead of a gym rat. So, I am going to check out all of your threads for ideas for clothes that I like and see if I can develop a personal style. In the meantime, anyone who has ideas of professional dress for job interviews, please post pictures! And links of where to buy them because I live in the middle of nowhere. Oh, and I need to find an outfit for a wedding in April, too, so I need ideas there too. I'm totally clueless as to what is fashionable now so I need all the help I can get. :laugh:

Replies

• rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm a sucker for well-fitting suits, especially for interviews/meetings etc.
    I've got a few in my wardrobe but as I do work in a very casual work environment, I rarely get to wear them.

This one's a nice one from Next (and available as separates in lots of different sizes):

15wbbd2.png

http://www.next.co.uk/x4972s3
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

This blog 'Already Pretty' has got great tips for interviews and special occasions for example: http://www.alreadypretty.com/2011/02/work-wear-across-the-working-spectrum.html .

It sounds like you've got a lot of trying on and testing out to do until you settle on what you like and what is suitable for your different contexts. By all means involve your friends and family - take long shopping trips to just try on all sorts of things and see what you like (but don't buy anything yet!).

As well as billions of helpful style blogs, there are the usual books and TV shows i.e. Trinny and Susanna in
    "What not to wear" etc. Have a squizz, take it all with a grain of salt, work out what you like about your body and want to highlight, don't worry too much about fashion (only wear fashionable things if they suit you... otherwise there are plenty of classics to wear).

Good luck and have fun! :)

Cheers,
    EJ