New to MFP (Love to ride)

Options
I'm 56 years old and have been riding since the early 80's. Mid 2010 I was riding 150 - 170 miles a week on the road. I moved to Austin, TX in mid 2010, stopped riding due to the new job and promptly put on almost 40 lbs. I've recently started riding again both road and trail and am just looking for other people with the same interests that also are on the journey back to being fit.

I've signed up for a 7 day cycling training camp in Mallorca, Spain for mid May. It will be extremely intense, lots of mountains and 4 - 8 hours in the saddle every day. I'm hoping to get back into good enough shape to keep up with the other riders.

Dave

Replies

• broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Welcome dboskee! The Spain trip sounds great, and will likely be an experience not to forget.

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy the ride!
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    that camp sounds awesome! I have a trip coming up in the fall that is in the mountains west of where I live (NC and TN). I need to drop weight for those hills and get stronger, too.

I have also found like you, when you stop cycling, the weight piles on. I had a large gain after an injury that took me a year to "remove". I am new to MFP but not new to health, fitness and weight loss. I joined here with a friend so we could encourage each other, but he is more of a casual rider. I am happy to find this group of dedicated cyclists!!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 years old and have been riding since the early 80's. Mid 2010 I was riding 150 - 170 miles a week on the road. I moved to Austin, TX in mid 2010, stopped riding due to the new job and promptly put on almost 40 lbs. I've recently started riding again both road and trail and am just looking for other people with the same interests that also are on the journey back to being fit.

I've signed up for a 7 day cycling training camp in Mallorca, Spain for mid May. It will be extremely intense, lots of mountains and 4 - 8 hours in the saddle every day. I'm hoping to get back into good enough shape to keep up with the other riders.

Dave

Welcome aboard. Sounds like a fun way to train. Spain will be beautiful.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    that camp sounds awesome! I have a trip coming up in the fall that is in the mountains west of where I live (NC and TN). I need to drop weight for those hills and get stronger, too.

I have also found like you, when you stop cycling, the weight piles on. I had a large gain after an injury that took me a year to "remove". I am new to MFP but not new to health, fitness and weight loss. I joined here with a friend so we could encourage each other, but he is more of a casual rider. I am happy to find this group of dedicated cyclists!!!

Welcome. That ride next fall will be beautiful; that whole area is wonderful.
  • dboskee
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is great having people with the same interests. I look forward to hearing and sharing many topics with all of you.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Those early season training camps are great - just the thing to get out, get some miles in the legs, and come back with the summer tan-lines already in place to intimidate your riding buddies. Did a few, years ago, when I was thin enough and fit enough to get a positive benefit from them - perfect way to jump start a seasons racing :smile:
  • budkid
    budkid Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Dave

Sounds like you are gonna enjoy some serious time on the saddle. Have fun and stay hydrated!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Welcome, may the wind be with you! :happy:
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    We're doing 7 days in the French Alpes in September (Alpe D'Huez, Col de Galibier etc) so I understand your need to get fit in time. Best of luck, keep us informed of how you're doing.x