Intro

Options
PhatAv8r
PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
What's your name? Trent
How old are you? 51
Where do you come from? hmm.. AZ, CA, ID, UT?
How tall are you? 6'0"
Are you married? yep
Where do you live? Shanghai, China
Do you have any children? 4, 1 @BYU, 3 @ UVU
What do you do in your spare time? computers, reading, golf
What sports do you like? football, golf
Do you have a car? yep
What's your favourite film? "Field of Dreams"
What's your job? Director of Manufacturing
Do you have any pets? yep, dog named 'Ranger'
What kind of music do you like? Country
Whats your family like in general or towards your diet? We are on our own version of TBL
What makes you splurge on your diet and what do you reach for? sugar, if I open the package, it's gone,
Do you have a calling? yep, BP
Do you have a testimony you would like to share? Change is possible for us all, on every level.. it just takes the real desire and giving ourselves over to the Lord. As they say in AA "I can't, HE can, so I will let HIM"

Replies

• anchorageb2
    anchorageb2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hello Trent,
    Thanks for joining us. Wow you are from the U.S. and now live in China!
    Did your diet change over there?
    Do you have any awesome Healthy Chinese dish recipes or suggestions? I ask because I know true Chinese food is not what they serve in a Chinese restaurant here.
    I will probably ask you a ton of questions because I recently started reading stories based on Chinese history or customs if you do not mind however if you do no worries. :D
  • niebbia
    niebbia Posts: 32
    Options
    What's your name? Kirstyn
    How old are you? 37
    Where do you come from? Indiana
    How tall are you? 5'4"
    Are you married? yep
    Where do you live? Warsaw, IN
    Do you have any children? 5 ages 4 to 13
    What do you do in your spare time? Zumba, reading
    What sports do you like? Zumba, swimming watching Soccer (futbol)
    Do you have a car? yep
    What's your favourite film? "Pride and Prejudice
    What's your job? Translator, Zumba instructor, Mom
    Do you have any pets? Dog, Pampero several cats and 2 turtles!
    What kind of music do you like? Country
    Whats your family like in general or towards your diet? Calorie counting and natural foods.
    What makes you splurge on your diet and what do you reach for? I also cant put foods down if I open the bag I have to finish it. I have completely given up M&M's bc they were my addiction that took me to 270 lbs! It was either all or NONE so I chose never again. Right now I have no sweets or snacks in the house...kind of sad for mykids but the onlyway I can get started on the right track again is to get everything out of my system!
    Do you have a calling? Activity Days Leader and Sunday School teacher
    Do you have a testimony you would like to share? Change is possible for us all, on every level.. it just takes the real desire and giving ourselves over to the Lord.

I echo Trent...we are strong enough to overcome the physical things that are controlling us.
  • anchorageb2
    anchorageb2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome my Friend Kirstyn:) so glad you found the group.
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hmm, maybe we should start a list on Chinese foods.

But, healthy is interesting.in China.

You find out real quick that Chinese people are skinny because they don't each much meat, and down HUGE quantities of rice. (as in I have seen men in our cafeteria each 3 cups at lunch).

So, first is that the veggies are where it's at. The other is getting the right condiments in your cupboard to stir fry.

You would be amazed at the great dishes you can make with just a little effort, probably as much as any casserole, or even making grilled cheese sandwiches.

For instance. you get snow peas, 2 oz of beef brisket (yep, this is the ancient chinese secret, even when you have meat, you smother it with with veggies, not the other way around.

So, pre-'freeze' your chunk of meat (not frozen thru) just enough to make it hard, you trim the stem off the snow peas, set them aside, then get your meat, cut and slice it to make little strands of beef about the width of skinny french fries , brown the meat LIGHTLY not all they way through, set aside for a minute

add about 3 tablespoons of light soy sauce to a heated wok or skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil, a chopped clove of garlic and a little bit of red pepper flakes to suit your taste. Then when the garlic is browned, toss in your snow peas, stir until they turn color (from the dull green to a little darker green). Toss in the meat, add a drizzle of sesame oil (not too much), and a tsp of cornstarch and continue to stir it all together in the wok until the meat is fully cooked.

Two cups of snow peas and 2 oz of beef make enough for 4 and only 85 calories each. If you make just TWO dishes like this. And eat with 1/2 cup of steamed rice, your meal should be about 350 calories and high in protein, low in fat, and very filling.
  • sarajeunegriffin
    Options
    THANK YOU for sharing a recipe! Can't wait to try it!