Board games?

Options
missdaisy79
missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
Anyone out there like a good board game from time to time? My personal favourite is Arkham Horror and whatever hellishly hard expansion pack we decide to play with it. I have got a real soft spot for old board games like Space Crusade and Hero Quest.

Replies

• gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to play Hero's Quest a lot many years ago.. Now my family is mostly Settlers of Catan and Muchnkin..
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    My bf is a board game nerd, he's not much of a video game player other than wow and guitar hero.

we busted out dominion last week which is our favorite party game right now because set up and explanation are pretty quick.

Puerto Rico is a really popular one to play but it takes so damn long to set up
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I haven't played a board game in like.. forever.. My favorite one will always be 13 Dead End Drive though.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    love Puerto Rico and Settlers.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Ever since I quit my job working in a boardgame cafe... I'm getting rusty in Boardgames.. but I own a few... :P
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    A boardgame cafe sounds ace to me :-) I have a very very soft spot for Talisman - I still have my original edition with all the extras cut out from white dwarf magazine.
    I also have the settlers ones, amazingly good games.
  • Mahu77
    Mahu77 Posts: 34
    Options
    Arkham Horror, Castle Ravenloft, World of Warcraft Adventur Game, Scene It; these are a few of my favorite board games. I've played Pandemic and thought it was OK. I've also played Settlers of Cataan and found it to be rather boring.
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    A boardgame cafe sounds ace to me :-) I have a very very soft spot for Talisman - I still have my original edition with all the extras cut out from white dwarf magazine.

My husband's copy of Talisman is the original edition with all the cut outs from White Dwarf as well!

And I agree, a board game cafe sounds ace!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    We just got the Gears of War board game. Been playing it on my own to get the rules right.
    My favourite board game at the moment if Last Night On Earth, it's a zombie board game, really fun with 4 players.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I just found out about Arkham Horror and played Mansions of madness for the first time last week.

I love board games but noone I know likes them nearly as mcuh as I do so I rarely play them anymore, but love the classics like Monopoly, Risk, Stratego, Chess, and Scrabble.
  • missdaisy79
    Options
    Fortune and Glory is currently getting a lot of table time in our house. My gods, it comes in the biggest box in the world though! You need a huge table, or a floor and no pets (giant cat flops all over North America...game over).
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options

My husband's copy of Talisman is the original edition with all the cut outs from White Dwarf as well!

If there was a boardgame cafe round here, I'd be there constantly! I don't know if there are any in the UK though :(

When I had cats they used to chase dice, or bat at figures - I think they think they were participating in a helpful manner....!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

If there was a boardgame cafe round here, I'd be there constantly! I don't know if there are any in the UK though :(

When I had cats they used to chase dice, or bat at figures - I think they think they were participating in a helpful manner....!

So long as they were batting your opponents miniatures off the board, they were helping!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
  • VelvetKey
    VelvetKey Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Board games were what I pretty much grew up with, so I have a cupboard-ful of them...

Some favorites would be:

Boxers or Briefs
    Life (the old one with paper money, not the credit card swiper)
    Twister (yes, it has a spinner mounted on a board inside! It's a board game!)
    Munchkin
    Marbles (home-brew game; fun combination of Parcheesi, Sorry, and ...well, it uses 2 decks of face cards, too!)
    Arkham Horror (and quite a few different expansions, thereof)
    Scene It (Disney, Star Trek, etc.)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Pictionary
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    IDK why, but I was addicted to "Clue", "Life" and "Trouble" when I was a kid. Oh, and monopoly. I can never get enough of it <3
  • tsimpson84
    Options
    I actually play quite a bit of board games - we have "Geek Nights" about once a week. We'll play Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, Cosmic Encounters, Domaine, Zombie Dice, Dominion, Citadels, Tsuro, Stone Age, etc....

We even travel to the conventions - we went to PAX last year, just to try out some of the new games. I mean, I like my video games from time to time, but board gaming seems more social - and you have to play in person with friends :)
  • tsimpson84
    Options
    love Puerto Rico and Settlers.

Puerto Rico is my favorite! :)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Ive never played one of those huge expansive games, but my roommate was playing one one day, which actually seemed pretty cool