Anti- Diet First Steps

Options
There is a consistent thread that runs through the anti-oxidant anti-inflammatory mindset, the fine details are where unique programs and plans emerge. At the most basic level, we need to eat what we can process. Once that is accomplished we can try to run high octane fuel which will help scavenge as many free radicals as possible and minimize causing inflammation/ metabolic imbalance. The foundation of your food pyramid has to be based in fruit and vegetables. They are what we are most designed to process...they were the most accessible when we were genetically programmed. Meats were more difficult...and genetically are a luxury item. Prior to industrial farming and engineered seeds grains were also not as "promised"...so are fine in whole grain form, but are not the foundation for a healthy diet. What we are not designed to process is highly processed foods and should be avoided, namely those with refined sugar, bleached flour, and trans fats.
Fruits and vegetables are full of phyto-nutrients. They are plant based protective antioxidants and anti-inflammatories that are passed directly to the consumer. One of the most powerful groups being the flavonoids. Going forward we will explore how to maximize these flavonoids, avoid unhealthy food processing, and design a sustainable nutrition plan.
I understand you have probably heard this all before. And even though you know it is likely true, I recognize it is a little dry. So I'll throw in a little teaser. I believe strongly in cocoa...healthy chocolate. Not candy...the phyto-nutrient rich cocoa. That is where I'm headed next...healthy chocolate. Music to a choco-holic's heart.

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to a plan from you. cAn you survive on fruits and veggies alone On the mayo diet I am following. it is the bottom of his pryamid so I am eating lots of veggies.

Maire [ caliecat]
  • DrHardacre
    Options
    There are ways to "survive" and thrive on fruits and veggies alone, especially when you throw beans/legumes into the mix. Especially if you add some things like whey protein shakes (fortifed) into the mix. Otherwise, one has to watch B vitamins to get enough. This is one of the few exceptions to fortification that I support. Usually fortification means they have beaten all the nutrition out of the base elements so have to add it back in. We'll talk about whey as well, based on the data from Harvard and Idaho. But you don't have to eat fruits and veggies alone. But as you are doing they should be your foundation. Things like meat need to be good sources. By good sources I mean grass fed, no hormone added...I buy from a local farmer or friends who hunt. I only get it when the animals are ready...not when I'm ready. Therefore I limit my meat intake to a more natural order...likely similar to how you ate when you were a girl. As you may be seeing as you eliminate some of the toxic elements and add greater anti-inflammatory source you exponentially feel stronger, less sore, and more healthy.