Man vs Machine

Options
sunnydays33
sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
All I gotta say is the stairmaster people! I have several friends that commit to this every day and the burns are ridiculous!! For some of the guys: a 60 min workout is over 1000 calories! Chicks are logging over 700!! DUDE, that's just awesome!

About 6 years ago...the last time I had lost a significant amount of weight (40 lbs) I hired a PT. She was such a little she-devil...haha, in a good way though. Anyway, we would always start with cardio before weights and she would put me on that damn stairclimber and I thought my heart was going to jump out of my body. (How sad is that since I was only 26 years old.) Every time I see those posts, it gives me more motivation to get back on that puppy on my gym days. I think it has to be one of the most efficient work outs ever!

The Ellipitical and all the Spinners...another great burner!! I have always wanted to try a spin class and I glance at them thru the elusive glass at the gym, thinking "well, maybe when I'm skinny I'll try that'. Well...screw that mentality...I'm headed to a boot camp next week in the Dominican Republic (yup, so excited) where this is a daily class, I'm gonna do it...for sure!!

What's your fave...any tips on how to get started?

Replies

• alangholz
    Options
    I have so much weight to lose and broke both ankles a couple of years ago (causing some joint pain) that I was having a hard time getting my heart rate up on the treadmill. I tried the Elliptical a few weeks ago and HATED the thing. But my heart rate was up! I stuck with it and have gradually built my time up, but now I'm LOVING it!!! And so far it definitely gives me the most bang for my buck so to speak!
  • kmj712004
    kmj712004 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing about the amount of calories that the stairclimber burns. I keep looking at it at my gym but I haven't worked up to getting on it yet. I'm going to get on it today.....even it it is just for a few minutes!
  • pinkprincessmama
    pinkprincessmama Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well, I joined a gym back in August and I basically do the classes, everyday except Sundays!
    Mondays - High Intensity Interval Training (LOVE this class!!!) and then Pilates
    Tuesdays - Tone and Tighten and then Zumba
    Wednesdays - Cardio Kickbox
    Thursdays - Tone and Tighten and then Pilates
    Fridays - Step class
    Saturdays - there is one class and they mix it up, but it is usually some kind of cardio dance

I REALLY enjoy classes. They keep me going because to hell I am going to stop in front of everyone else! haha:-) But, I don't have a HRM yet, so I have NO idea how many cals I am burning. That bothers me. I am a number person and I want to see it!

This morning I couldn't make my step class, so I had to go in later. I decided to head to the Elliptical. Man was I feeling it! I had some good music and I rocked it! I went for 70 minutes on that thing (40 forward, 30 backwards) and burned a wooping 645 calories! It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think my gym has any stairmasters???? I'll have to check it out, but I really haven't ever seen one there????