Creative Correction

Options
Anybody have any good correction (punishment) ideas for a 9 year old who lied about having cleaned her room? It's the sneaking and lying I'm concerned with, not the mess in the room.

Replies

• cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear one too! I have a 9yo that lies about brushing her teeth.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well,as for the not cleaning did she not do it because she doesn't like the work...or because she wanted more time doing fun stuff? ( I know that its a very close line) Extra work for the first or denial of privelidges for the latter is a suggestion. And of course the important discussion of how the lies affects your personal trust relationship. Its so tough. Good luck.
  • MrsJones98
    Options
    Mine get to do extra chores - like wiping down all the door knobs in the house with a lysol wipe, wiping down the light switches - those tedious, little "spring cleaning" chores. Ideally, I should have a bag with those chores written down in them, but I tend to assign them when the need arises.

I'm pretty convinced this behavior goes with the age!

I also make sure mine know that I am disappointed in their choice - and that it is a choice! And I make it a point to check their work - but mine hate having their work checked! However, it works.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I agree with the extra chores. Cleaning her room AND a sibling's room.

One of my punishment chores is for the offending child to wipe the baseboards in all the rooms of the house with a wet cloth. And I go through and check them all.

Another punishment - cleaning all the bathrooms in the house. Here we have five! :noway: No one wants to do that chore!