Since 50 this is the slowest weight lose I have ever had!

Options
I am not sure how others feel about losing weight after fifty, but for me it is really much more difficult! This is my first attempt to lose weight since I was 35. I have put on weight and eventually got about 15 pounds over weight. Then all kinds of things happened and at 53 I found myself 50 plus pounds over weight! I am documenting my calories religiously but can only do limited exercising-short walking sessions without the bounce of stepping using a gazelle. This is not due to me not wanting to but due to a physical issue that I am going through with discs and nerves. Is anyone else having alot of success and if so, what are you doing?

Replies

• Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I think for females weight get harder to lose after 50. Something to do with hormones. Seems like those little devils have been busy doing nothing but giving us trouble since the time we reached puberty.

Weight loss is possible after 50. And it is worth the effort. If you can't manage vigorous exercise, just do what you're able to. We didn't gain this over night and won't lose it that fast either.

Try not to compare yourself with other too much as we're individual and what works for some doesn't work for others.
  • claireputput
    claireputput Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like everything you said but I really like-don't compare yourself to others! That is truth!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how others feel about losing weight after fifty, but for me it is really much more difficult! This is my first attempt to lose weight since I was 35. I have put on weight and eventually got about 15 pounds over weight. Then all kinds of things happened and at 53 I found myself 50 plus pounds over weight! I am documenting my calories religiously but can only do limited exercising-short walking sessions without the bounce of stepping using a gazelle. This is not due to me not wanting to but due to a physical issue that I am going through with discs and nerves. Is anyone else having alot of success and if so, what are you doing?
    Here's a good one, I too am 53 and have been trying to lose weight for about 5 years. I have lost 40 lbs over that time but have 40 more to go. I work out hard, have a trainer 2x's a week, box on Sundays and do cardio in between, 45-60 minutes. What I have come to realize is this. You can workout and exercise all you want but at our age if our diet is not nutritionally sound, it's not going to work. It has taken me a long time to figure out what that meant. For me, maybe not for you because I see lots of over 50's on these boards losing, it means no junk, no processed foods. I haven't totally reached that yet but I am still working on it. I am not giving up at all and oh, it also means eatinig more calories. We lose 10% of our muscle mass every decade so while you are losing you want to preserve your muscle. Do it slowly, have the right macros (fat/carbs/protein) for you and don't listen to everyone. It made me crazy because I got some much conflicting information my head was spinning. Take the process slowly and good luck. Friend me if you want.
  • imatex
    imatex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am also 53 and have come to the nutritional realization. Last year I was diagnosed with NASH disease and have had to take a hard look at what I am eating. I am working on strict limits of the carbohydrates, as well as making sure I am getting in the fiber and protein I require. I am also trying to watch my sodium because it is hard on the liver and kidneys. I don't watch all of this as well as my doctor would like for me to, but she is proud that it is better than it was six months ago. We just did a nutritional screening to determine if my body is using the nutrients and supplements the way it is supposed to. If your body doesn't use the nutrition correctly, it makes it even harder to lose weight. I think with education and dedication, we can all lose weight. No, it probably won't be like someone half our age, but, hey; I'm happy if the numbers just keep going down. Persistence will pay off. You can also friend me if you would like.
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    u can do this... i have lost 30 from July to December. started by walking small amounts.I also have alot of health issues. Have a bad hip and trouble walking. got a gazelle. works for me. i am 58 and my slogan is : NEVER GIVE UP!
    reset my ticker after the first of the year so i can start over and gain momentum after the holidays~
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use the Gazelle too because of knee problems. If I tried a squat I would never walk again. Diet, mainly daily calories seems to be doing the trick. I try to eat healthier foods but want to keep it real because this will be a lifestyle not a diet. As I lose weight I will try and walk more and come spring can;t wait to get the bicycle out!

Being over 50 just adds a difficulty factor. Never give up, never surrender! (and rolling helps...)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    u can do this... i have lost 30 from July to December. started by walking small amounts.I also have alot of health issues. Have a bad hip and trouble walking. got a gazelle. works for me. i am 58 and my slogan is : NEVER GIVE UP!
    reset my ticker after the first of the year so i can start over and gain momentum after the holidays~

Like Irisheyes, I too have lost about 30# between July and now. I agree totally with the NEVER GIVE UP. It would be oh-so-easy to become discouraged when I don't see any weight loss for a month or so. The last plateau lasted 6 weeks. Note that this is not due to cheating, but it is just how my older (70-yr-old) body works. It hangs on to the weight for at least a month, then suddenly drops 5 or 10 pounds.

Yes, it is harder after 50. A lot harder! It's going to take a lot more time. The skin will be left wrinkled and hanging. But I accept all that. All I want is better health and a bit longer stay in order to enjoy more things.

I also have had to modify my calories (I eat fewer than 1000 calories per day), and my choices (no more foods that merely add starch or fat without good nutrition).
  • abooknerd
    abooknerd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely finding it harder to lose weight than when I was younger. I'm just going to keep sticking to the calories and exercise. I hope to get into shape, that's the most important... would still like to lose a bunch of weight though!
  • shunyata13
    shunyata13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was watching Dr Oz for a while today and his subject matter was how to loose weight when you are over 30 and have done everything possible to loose and still can't loose. The following herbal suppliments are what he suggested and can be found at your local health food store.

7-Keto - Boosts metabolism by speeding up your thyroid to be back as we were when we were younger to process our food faster. Take 100mg 2 times a day.

Forskolin - Burns fat on people that are already overweight. Take 125mg once a day

Caraway Seeds - Eliminates gas that causes you to bloat after eating. Take a small handfull after breakfast and after each meal that causes bloating.

Relora - Reduces stress in our system that in turn lowers cortisol levels in our belly which then lowers stress eating issues.

Satiereal Saffron Extract - Supresses appitite by controlling emotional eating and cravings by affecting the seratonin levels in our brain.

He did have 2 audience members take the saffron one for 3 days and at the end one woman lost 3 pounds and the other lost 5 pounds.

For more info on his show about weight loss please visit his website. I did not look up any of these herbs on the website and if you are taking any medications please check them out before taking so they don't affect any of your medications.
  • bcraigrncen
    bcraigrncen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Menopause and the natural slowing of my metabolism has made it almost impossible to lose. I am determined though. I am looking for friends to keep me accountable and encouraged. I love this site. I love the ease of logging my food and exercise on my smart phone. I love reading message boards and knowing I am not alone. If you need a friend I am here!