Let's start a group!

Options
Gorger
Gorger Posts: 100 Member
Hello, Hello! Brave Warriors!
I have had breast cancer twice. Once in 2001 and again in 2010. Don't be discouraged. I thought I was going to die in 2001 and here I am 12 years later. I am looking forward to starting this group. Weight and excercise are extremely important factors. Losing weight and getting in shape is key. Let's motivate each other and share ideas! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite and for starting the group. I just joined. Finished my treatment at the end fo January 2008. I am working on taking care of myself so that should I ever need to do battle again, I am at my best and strongest.
  • Gorger
    Options
    Hello girls! Thanks for joining! You are all amazing. If you have any questions, need support, or have ideas to share, please send a post or message.
    I often look on a medical sites and there is one called PubMed. There I found that Blackberries help fight cancer.
  • jmclowser
    jmclowser Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I finished chemo 2 years ago. I've been trying to lose the weight ever since. BC isn't the reason for all of my weight, but it didn't do me any favors either. I am just now feeling like I can get the weight off. Like I can focus on it. My husband was diagnosed with CLL this past July. He was in the hospital and started chemo over New Years. I have to be able to take care of my family. I also have a 3 year old at home. I need all the support I can get. Thanks for starting this group.
  • Gorger
    Options
    Hello! Thank you for sending the post. I am so inspired by your story. My daughter was 11 years old when I was first diagnosed. I was a single parent. I feared everyday that she would grow up without me, and then I kicked into gear- and told myself that I was , no matter what, going to make it until she was 21. Guess what? At 21 I got my BC back again. (It goes to show you the power of the mind and the will to live.) We are all in the right place here on MyFitnessPal because documenting food intake makes us realize a lot of things. I was told to keep fat intake to less than 20% of my daily calories. No matter which way I spin it I can't seem to do that, however, most peoples intake is 55% of their daily calories. So, it's a challenge, but well worth it. Thanks for joining. I need to take care of myself and you have encouraged me by the act of simply connecting. Let's be here for each other.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies. Thanks Gorger for the Invite

I was diagnosed in June of 2011. 2 Lumpectomies later, I am doing fine. My 6 month checkup with my surgeon is in February. I am slightly nervous.

However, It is great to have another support group. I know I need to take care of myself and I am glad to provide support to others.

Jeri
    Calgary, Alberta
  • Gorger
    Options
    Welcome Fancy Lady!
    Jeri you are beautiful in your photo. Very young looking, indeed.
    I have read up on breast cancer for 11 years now.
    Did you know that a baby aspirin a day stops breast cancer?
    Anti-inflammitory foods and drugs such as Advil and aspirin help a lot. You can google that and you will see!
    Don't fret about the check-up. I fretted for 10 years before it came back -and then finally got a mastectomy as it did come back. I could have had another lumpectomy but I couldn't stand the worry anymore.
    Guess what? There was no cancer in the breast beyond the initial lump. And that was 10 years after the first lump. I worried for nothing:(
    I really believe that the diet I was on abated the whole thing. I ate 10 fruits and vegetables a day for the first 3 years after my initial cancer. Excess weight creates excess estrogren.
    Let's diet together. I have 9 pounds to lose. Let's do it. It's only 2 weeks of dieting and then it will be gone...we will feel like a million bucks when we accomplish our goals!
  • weemuse
    weemuse Posts: 40
    Options
    I was diagnosed in Aug 2011 and have had 4 surgeries and 2 of 8 chemo treatments. Radiation, targeted therapy and hormone therapy will all follow in due course. I"m already about 15 lbs heavier than I want to be and I dread gaining those "chemo 15". An elliptical machine arrives at my place this week and that will begin my truly serious fitness regime.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Weemuse, I discovered my cancer after losing 35 pounds. Since the end of my treatment in January 2008, I have lost an additional 35 pounds, 20 more to go. I do take armidix to surpress estrogen. I take the aspirin a day also.

Meanwhile I have been trying to lose and work away my estrogen producing fat. I put one foot in front of the other during the treatment and now I am healthier than I've ever been. Good luck to you. I am here to provide support and hopefully a little light at the end of the tunnel.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gorger, so are so kind.

I am struggling with these last pounds. I really, really want to get rid of them. I've got a bad cold and I seem to be eating to try to cure it. Bad idea LOL I'm all for joining together to support each other.
  • Gorger
    Options
    There is a book you can get from the library called the "Fat Resistant Diet". Someone told me the author wanted to call it the "Anti-inflammitory Diet", but the name wasn't all the catchy to sell books, apparently. I had three friends read the book and they are all very thin and trim now. It explains about fats and oils, something that is a very important factor. Olive oil and Canola oil and butter are better fats to eat. Margarine...well, my oncologist told me to throw it in the garbage.
    My grandmother said "If the rats and mice won't eat the margarine, then neither will I". She lived to 101 years old.
    I have a cold too. It's a very nasty cold. When I want comfort food I make Heart Smart Vegetable Soup. I posted the recipe in the receipe section of this site. Or you can google it. It's only about 50 calories a bowl so you can eat as much as you like without feeling the 'guilts'. It's just a can of diced tomatoes, a couple bullion cubes, a bit of water and all the vegetables you can find in your fridge with basil and a drop of hot sauce to taste, or cilantro etc. Very good for you.
  • Gorger
    Options
    :smile:
  • Gorger
    Options
    Welcome:) fellow supporter. Thank you for joining our group.
  • pjholcomb
    pjholcomb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group. I was diagnosed with stage II infiltrating ductal carcenoma last February. In March I had a lumpectomy, April began with chemo (awful, inhuman, thought I would die!) and when I was done with that, had a full course of radiation. The radiation oncologist has a nutritionist on staff who told me that to be able to say that I have done EVERYTHING I can to keep the cancer from returning, I need to lose as much weight as I can and still be healthy. So here I am ... have lost 35 pounds with many, many more to go.
  • weemuse
    weemuse Posts: 40
    Options
    That's quite a journey, Judith.. congrats on the incredible weight loss and for taking control of your health!!
  • Gorger
    Options
    Welcome new member! It sounds like you are very much on the right track. Losing 35 pounds is very difficult and I congratulate you on hard work, effort and your success. My nutritionist also said the same thing to me: "Lose as much weight as possible without being excessively thin". Apparently it is because the estrogen seems to manifest itself in body fat. The less fat in our bodies, the less estrogen, I presume. That is exactly why I am here on MyFitnessPal. It's to hopefully increase my own survival and to get peer support, new friendships and ideas. Exercise and weight are a couple of the factors they know that directly affects BC. Also alcohol is another factor. (Darn! Just when we need to drink! hahah). Another thing my nutritionist told me was the amount of fat I eat is a factor. She said I need to decrease it. She told me about the WINS study that limits fat to 6 tsp a day and survival rates were higher. She told me that dietary Fiber Content of diet also helps. Estrogen gets eliminated through the bowels. I saw on the news that the latest idea is lots of protein, vegetables and not much in carbs. My oncologist told me that in order for the cancer to NOT go into my bones I am to increase my calcium to 1200 to 1500 mgs a day. Toxicity level is 2500 mg. said my nutritionist. It's a mixed bag of tricks, though because Calcium can cause Cardiac issues. You do one thing and it wrecks something else! hahaha Vitamin D is extremely important for my bones as well --for me she suggested 1000 I.U.s a day. I am looking for tips and tricks from everyone in our group on how they feel they are improving their health, what they are doing to increase their survival and any ideas they might have to share.
    *I am not a medical professional, just a survivor... this is just a discussion group. (I have to put a disclaimer on here). haha hence I will use the words "presume" and "guess" etc. I think my cancer is genetic so I am treating my body like an elegant piece of glass. Any other ideas, thoughts and tips, my new friends? One friend mentioned PH....I'm looking forward to hearing more about
    that. I'm in year 11 of my battle. I am doing well except for my eyes (another topic of discussion). Good old Tamoxifen!
  • calpollyana
    Options
    Hi everyone! Glad to see this group here. My name is Rhonda, and I am a two year survivor. In 2009 I had a lumpectomy, 4 rounds of chemo and then radiation. I began tamoxifen in January of 2010. All of this has added to my weight gain, and I am working hard to lose the pounds and get in shape.
    I also strive not to worry about recurrence. I guess I do all that I can on my end and that's all one can do. I try to juice vegetables once a day. This really gets the body's ph to a healthy level. I have upped my fiber intake and fruits and veggies.

I am very curious to know about your vision problems and the connection to tamoxifen. I have been taking it for two years.

Glad to meet all of you. We are warriors, indeed!
  • pjholcomb
    pjholcomb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Tamoxafin is going to effect my eyes???? :sad:
  • meames2
    meames2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Quick intro. Diagnosed May 2010. 3 surgeries ending in a bilateral by July. Chemo ended Nov. 2010. Radiation ended March 2011. Finished herceptin In July. Now just arimidex. Coming up on my 6 month check. Goal of 2012 to lose 60 pounds and eating healthier. Looking forward to connecting with you. Now must get up and get ready or work. More of an intro later.

Martha
  • Gorger
    Options
    Welcome Rhonda.
    Tamoxifen has some reports of causing cataracts. But that is easily treated. So, don't let that be a reason not to take the drug. A more worrisome side effect can be blood clots... and I remember my pharmacist telling me "don't cross your legs when you sit".

To answer your question, the eye problems all started when I developed a thing called bilateral nuclear sclerosis which is a little more unusual. If I ask the doctors whether or not the Tamoxifen had a direct cause and effect ... well...they kind of danced around with the answer. Nuclear sclerosis is a type of a cataract that is a hardening of the lens...more often seen in dogs then in humans. But judging from my photo, I can't really get away with saying, "Why me?"

Of course, the cataract was only the first step of my eye problems...the plot thickened. I almost went totally blind a few weeks ago. I'm going to continue my answer when I reply to pjholcomb's question and say hi to Martha tomorrow....
  • calpollyana
    Options
    Gorger,

Wow! I am so sorry about your eyesight. Keep me posted on your prognosis, and I'll be praying for you today. ( I hope that's okay.)
    What a raw deal, cancer then side affects to boot! Boo hiss... But I guess we're the lucky ones who are still here to complain about it! lol

Hope it's sunny where you are today,
    Rhonda