Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

(possibly TRIGGERING) Help, I need someone to confirm what's

PoleBoy
PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
I've blown my sodium for the day. I'll not have so much of that again, but I have to deal with it for now

It seems so obvious:

The correct thing for me to do is to carry on eating "normally", but aim for lower salt. Oh, and drink more.

The wrong thing to do would be to stop eating now because too much salt will give me a heart attack right now.

Replies

• PoleBoy
    Crisis averted - a moment of calm and I've managed to plan a meal that brings me in under (barely) the (I know, it's just a number) sodium limit, and reaches my minimum calorie target.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    May I ask why you're so concerned about sodium? Is it because of the water weight?

My doctor told me I should "ignore society's rules" about sodium because my bp is so low. But I don't know what your situation is.
  • PoleBoy
    Nothing rational to worry about - and when I'm rational I don't worry about it - obviously I try to keep under the guideline, but if I don't I don't.

But being surprised by some unsuspected salt caused my weirdness to kick in, and I firmly believed that stopping eating for the day was the safest option. I knew this was not the case, and I managed to keep eating by pulling out my fetish foods, and then managed to come up with a meal that worked. As a double win I managed to sneak in more fat than I usually allow myself - because all that mattered to the weirdness was keeping the salt down
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    I understand. There's definitely nothing rational about disordered eating/thinking. I used to eliminate entire categories of foods just. . .because? Like. . .I couldn't MIX any two things together (for example, I wouldn't eat sandwiches or salads because there were 2 different foods touching each other in those).

Crazy, I know. I'm still weird about mixing foods, but not that weird.
  • I've heard really conflicting views on sodium intake. One being the obvious bloat and water weight gain, but the other being that we need sodium in our diets, especially if you're working out a lot (which I suspect many of us are). I wouldn't worry too too much about sodium, unless you have a heart condition or seriously bloated. Just keep drinking water and be aware of signs of dehydration.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Personally I have to watch my sodium, but I am in kidney failure. My problem is I love chicken broth. But if you find that you have taken too much in then drink lots of water. That should help. And dont weigh yourself the next day.

We all have our littlw quirks about things so I get where you are coming from. And once they get stuck in your head it is hard to sort things out..but it looks like you did a good job of it!