Lefse

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
Do any of you make your own gluten free lefse? My husband's family does it every Christmas and this is the first year my DD is gluten free. We didn't go to the family lefse making day because of car troubles but I had promised we'd make some here at home. i've been all over the internet looking at recipes but it seems that most people use a store bought flour mix. Deciding on the one that would make the best lefse is a problem!

If you don't know what it is, it's a Norwegian flatbread made with potatoes (think potato based tortilla). We mix it up, roll them out and then dry fry them on a very hot griddle. So even if you don't know what it is, anybody have any favorite flour blends (either homemade or something I could get locally like a Bob's Red Mill or something). I just don't want my daughter to miss out so we're going to do all of it GF. For future reference, do you have a hands down, go to all purpose GF flour you think would be great in this even if it means I have to order online?

Replies

• 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I think you already know a lot about GF flours, so I think my only suggestion might be something light and more starchy, if they are delicate flatbreads. I might try a blend of brown rice flour, coconut flour, and maybe some quinoa flour? I think garbanzo flour and almond would be too flavorful/dense for a light flatbread, but that is IMHO.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I am worried about overpowering the flavor as it is fairly mild. I guess I'll just try a blend and if it doesn't work I'll end up trying again. :)