North Carolina & South Carolina

Options
willforbes
willforbes Posts: 48 Member
I was born and raised in North Carolina. I grew up near the outer banks in a small town called Creswell. I went to ECU from 1999 to 2003. I survived hurricane Floyd. I graduated and then moved to Charleston, SC in 2005. I met my wife here and plan to stay unless North Carolina calls me back.

Replies

• scamberlous
    Options
    I was born in Florence, SC and then moved to Charleston, SC when I was five and have basically been here ever since, so obviously Charleston is my home. I also went to UNCW (University of NC-Wilmington) which is only three hours from the Chucktown. Charleston is stunningly beautiful and full of parks, walking trails, and beaches so it is easy to go outside and exercise. In fact, yesterday it was 70+ degrees (in January!!!), and my husband and I walked down the street from our house and played disc golf on the course that envelopes the center of our neighborhood! It was really a lot of fun! I got to spend time with my awesome hubby and exercise at the same time! Score!!!
  • gparker1701
    Options
    I was born and raised in North Carolina, but in the heart of the Piedmont sorta near Chapel Hill/Durham. A small community called Hurdle Mills, actually.

I went to ECPI School of Technology for an Associates and now I'm back at Wake Tech for a transfer degree in Physics/Astronomy.

I currently live in Raleigh, NC and have lived here for almost 4 years now in downtown. I plan on staying here as long as my employment stays here!

I hope to lose about 30-40 lbs using this tool and so far I've lost ~5 lbs. What about you guys? :smile:
  • strangelove2
    Options
    Hello there! I was born in Greenville, SC and now reside in Easley, SC; the cities aren’t that far apart, so I didn't go very far. Although, I did live in Sarasota, FL for two years with my husband after we married in 2005. I'm happy to meet other Carolinians on this site! I joined this site because I need assistance in losing weight for a contest we are having at work: The Biggest Loser Rehab Edition. (Sounds a tad odd, right?) I work at a rehabilitation hospital for traumatic brain injuries, prosthetics and strokes. Has anyone had any success through MFP? So far I've lost 4 pounds. It's not a massive number, but it's a start.
  • willforbes
    Options
    I am just starting out. Its been a month since joining MFP and I have lost 8 pounds. I like the format. Its weigh watchers meets facebook. I am glad to meet some Carolina people. I like Raleigh a lot BTW.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    I lived in Anderson, SC most of my life, then moved to Atlanta for about 20 years. I have recently moved back to Florence, SC and I love it here. We have an awesome fitness center here and I am participating in a program called "inches away". It is 8 weeks of personal training twice a week and nutrition classes once a week. Being about an hour from the beach has been a big motivator to finally get into shape, besides just wanting to finally be healthy. My husband is being very supportive...in fact, he paid for the inches away for me for Christmas...(I jokingly have been calling it "fat camp") I am having the most difficulty with eating. I can make it to the gym & work hard, but portion control and picking the right food on a busy schedule is hard to me. If anyone has suggestions for good fast foods, I would love to try them!!!
  • dancingjr
    Options
    I lived in Anderson, SC most of my life, then moved to Atlanta for about 20 years. I have recently moved back to Florence, SC and I love it here. We have an awesome fitness center here and I am participating in a program called "inches away". It is 8 weeks of personal training twice a week and nutrition classes once a week. Being about an hour from the beach has been a big motivator to finally get into shape, besides just wanting to finally be healthy. My husband is being very supportive...in fact, he paid for the inches away for me for Christmas...(I jokingly have been calling it "fat camp") I am having the most difficulty with eating. I can make it to the gym & work hard, but portion control and picking the right food on a busy schedule is hard to me. If anyone has suggestions for good fast foods, I would love to try them!!!

Hey there, I'm just starting out on my fitness journey and I too am a very busy person. I actually plan out my most of my meals. I give myself plenty of choices. What I did this week that has helped A LOT is precook everything then portion it out then freeze in little baggies. I work full time and go to college full time so cooking during the day is not possible. I just grab and pop in the microwave. I'm not really a fan of 'TV dinners' so I just figured I'd make my own TV dinner and it would be just what I want and healthy for me too! Or, before lunch at work I'll look up items at a restaurant that work with my calorie limit.
  • mlreidrn
    mlreidrn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi from Greensboro...Nice to meet you all
  • caseyb1910
    caseyb1910 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I live in the Spartanburg area. Last week, I made the decision to limit myself to 1200 calories a day, just to see if I could do it. I did, and I lost 7 lbs in one week! I'm looking to lose a total of 40-45. Glad you guys started this group! It's nice to see some Southern faces ;)
  • willforbes
    Options
    Its good to meet everyone. Continue to try and encourage each other. Hopefully we all will reach our goals. Thanks to everyone for joining.
  • vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I live near the beach in North Carolina and its beautiful here. The temperature's been in the 70's this week. As a person from Indiana this must be heaven. I'm retired and want to loose some weight. I was ill last year and lost 50 pound due to the illness and put the weight back on as quickly as I has lost it and now I really want to loose weight in a healthy way.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Oops, I thought I had already introduced myself, guess I forgot to hit the button! LOL

I'm originally from Kinston, NC, now I live in Charlotte, NC very close to the SC border. I'm a SAHM to 2 very energetic little boys (4 and almost 2) but somehow I manage to get in my workouts at home with DVDs on most days. I shoot for 6 days per week. I've been doing this since July of 2011 (started out and lost some weight before I actually got brave enough to officially join the site) - down 35 lbs so far and feeling better than I have in my life. My main focus now is trying to get into better shape and just let the last few pounds do whatever they're going to do, whenever they're going to do it. LOL
  • LetsGetIt76
    Options
    Originally from West Columbia, SC and now live in Columbia (big change right?). I've battled my entire life with weight, up, down, up, down, up. Whenever I've lost, I've never gone about it the "right" way. I've always severely restricted my calories and exercised (cardio - no strength) like madman, often to the point of injury. Decided to go on the journey known as "Fit2Fat2Fit" as a last ditch effort to get myself in better shape, and be better educated about doing so. I'm down around 36lbs since Nov. 5th, and still have a bit more I'd like to see fall off. Feeling better than I ever have, eating more than I ever thought, and consistently dropping. The biggest lesson I've learned so far is that you get the most out of your body when you fuel it properly and consistently. I try to work out 6 days a week, with strength training on Tue/Thu/Sat, and cardio on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat (though I've been known to sneak in an extra cardio session or two on a strength training day if time permits). Signed up for a St. Patty's Day 5K in March, and the Cooper River Bridge Run (Charleston, SC) 10K later in March. 2 months to prepare for the 10K - hope that will be enough!
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Lived in SC all my life except for a 2 year stint in Gastonia right out of college. Currently in Florence area. I joined MFP back in August. But just found the motivation I needed toward end of January to commit to this 100%. I think I've done pretty well since that point. We'll see on Tuesday. That will be my first weigh in after eating right and working out every day for just over a week.
  • Kmarr32010
    Kmarr32010 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was born in Charlotte, NC. Lived in Pineville, NC until I was @ 5. Moved to Clover, SC and lived there until I was in 10th grade. Moved to York, SC and was there until I was @ 23. I'm in Kings Mountain, NC now. I've been here since 2009. I've NEVER been outside of the Carolina's, which is actually pretty bad considering I'm 31 yrs old. :laugh: I've gotta say though, that I love the Carolina's. I do miss SC but I'm getting use to NC. Nice to meet y'all.:wink:
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just found this group today. I love to meet others close by! I am 40 and live in Greensboro. Married with one beautiful 6 yr old. I was born in Greensboro - lived here till i went to college in Wilmington, NC (UNCW!!). Met my husband while living in Wilmington in 1997 and in a few years we lived in Fayetteville, Dunn and then in Albany, GA for a brief period. HATED IT! It was truly the armpit of GA. In 2000, his search for a job (to get out of GA) brought us to Greensboro and we've been here ever since. I love it here, mainly because my family is here.
    Would love to move back to Wilmington some day though.
    I am a Carolina girl forever!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jgriffin88
    jgriffin88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just found this group today. I am 41 and I live in Pfafftown, just outside of Wiinston Salem, NC. I grew up in Lexington, NC. The Navy took me to Annapolis Md and then I came home. I tried living in Ft. Lauderdale FL and I lasted about 6 months. It seems no matter where I go I always end up right back here at home in Carolina. I would love to move to Coastal Carolina to raise my 4 year old. My husband and I are hoping to move in the next few years. I am on a journey to make my waist smaller. I have just started using MFP as a tool and have lost 1.6 pounds in the last week. That tells me I'm in the right place and doing the right things. I started my weight loss journey in February and have just now started to lose weight. I look forward to meeting people close by and supporting you on your journey.
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    A small town girl from the lower end of Florence county who lives in the country and commutes to the city. I've lived in SC all my life and love to take day trips all over the state. I also love to travel outside the state and have also gone on a few medical mission trips out of the country.
    My husband has been diagnosed with cancer and also battles diabetes; it's time for us to get our act together and live healthier. We have both lost weight (he doesn't do MFP but does monitor his caloric intake and blood sugars) and look forward to losing more and getting fit. We have two grown children we're proud of: one just passed the Georgia state bar exam (on the first try, too!) and one is the property of Uncle Sam and the USMC, currently serving in Afghanistan.
    Would love to be friends with fellow Carolinians! Just look me up, I need all the encouragement I can get!
  • mstissa02
    mstissa02 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I was born and reared in Florence, SC! Married and moved in 2009 to Southern GA; moved to Hampton Roads 2011 (Virginia); and moved back again to Southern GA in 2012. Yes, as you may guess, I am married to someone in the military. Navy-to be specific. By moving to these places, I have realized there is no place like home!! I thought Florence, SC was a small quite town that has no life, but time will tell and prove that areas can change. Florence is growing to become a diverse area with more to offer to its citizens. Good luck to everyone and their weight loss journey!
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I was born and raised in Spartanburg SC. I lived in Clemson for a couple of years while going to school, then came back home at the beginning of this year. I have currently lost 7 lbs. and am 8 lbs. from my goal.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I was raised in Columbia, SC. Moved to Elgin, SC for a while. Then Lexington SC. Now we live in Chapin, SC.