How is it going?

Options
Kooopons
Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
well hmm- I just started this thread 2 times!!!!!!!.....but it's not here, so here we go again!

Just checking in to see how it's going. I'll admit the thought of counting calories in the beginning was daunting to me. Now, I love it! I like being accountable to what I'm eating and realizing the "cost" of certain foods (like a big scoop of sour cream on my baked potato). I find it easy to do on the site and it's made it easier to plan my day. I'm trying to convince my dh to get on board to get the visual of what he is eating.

I need to ramp up the exercise since I know it will greatly speed up my weight loss- that is my goal this week.

All in all I feel healthier and thinner and motivated to continue!

Replies

• luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how much I like logging what I'm eating too. Before I had no concept of how much I was really eating. I'd walk though the kitchen and grab a handful of chocolate chips without any thought. I like being able to make better choices. Before I was hardly drinking any water. Now I'm getting over 1o glasses a day. I'm feeling better too.
  • leahmfunk
    leahmfunk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this site! I owe a huge hug to who ever initially posted about it on BBC.
    I have been shocked to realize how bad I was actually eating before. I've been measuring out portions (even measuring the coffeemate in my coffee daily) and wow! to realize what I had been eating before. This site is so easy to use so it is encouraging in itself. I kinda love the daily challenge of seeing how much I can really eat for my 1500 calories. I've definitely opened my eyes to getting more "quality" out of my calories. I'v found myself in the kitchen stopping and thinking, "no, I don't want to 'waste' my calories on that hershey's kiss." I love keeping track of what I eat. This just might be the push I needed to get a jump start on weight loss- thank you OP!
  • kimnmiah
    Options
    I am loving the accountability too. When life gets busy you don't really stop and think about what you are eating. I also love tracking my exercise. I hate exercise but I love that 20 min on the elliptical burns 200 calories. It's a great trade off.

I was in a bad rut of eating fast food. I work as a home health nurse and between patients I would hit a drive thru instead of planning what I was going to eat. I really doesn't take that much time to plan your meals.

Being said it helps if you remember to pick up your lunch box off the kitchen counter :(

I thought I was doomed for the day but just found a pack of slim fast in my car from cvs last week. Woo hoo and it's even cold since its freezing here today.

Here's to staying on track.
  • MommaBranam
    Options
    I'm not doing so hot. I'm in California for a funeral and have been on the go with family since Thursday. Trying to make good choices when you eat out every meal is HARD. I've ordered a lot of salads. I keep forgetting to track my eating.
  • AJones1021
    AJones1021 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm doing great! I completely forgot to weigh in this morning (it was a typical insane Monday morning where I was just trying to GET OUT, so I will do it tomorrow AM!). But, I know I've exercised more this week than I normally do and I've been logging, so I am sure I'll be down!

I'm trying to get DH on board also. He wants to do Atkins and at this point, we're both the biggest we've ever been, so I'll get behind ANYTHING he wants to do to focus on his weight. We'll see.
  • nellbomb
    Options
    just joined up. we'll see how it goes!! i can tell already my frozen waffle breakfast is going to have to go :(
  • Shyanna52101
    Options
    I doing go I just join this site but I've been doing weight Watchers for almost a year now and I've lost 128lbs. I going to try to count the cal. but I think I'm going to stick with my points but I would still love to be of everyone weight loss
  • cwiklamama
    Options
    128?!?!? WOW! That is amazing. Way to go girl.

As for me, I'm really liking it so far. I have been an on and off WW girl for a few years but always ended up quitting and gaining weight back. I actually like counting calories, because I find myself choosing smarter options than WW points but I don't love that there's not great easy recipe sections. I find if I home make a meal I am too lazy to calculate the actual calories and just guess. That could be bad.

I think a great thing that is really helping me is all of us on here. It's really nice seeing others exercising, which will usually convince me to get some done and commenting on each others things helps too. I would have to say that' my favorite part!
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So glad I started up again to give myself a boost. I am going to kickboxing tonight so I am looking forward to it. I always look forward to exercise! My husband is also going to start MFP. I am proud of him. I know it will help him a lot. I like having support at home and here with all of you.

Does anyone do a kettle ball workout. I want to buy a work out for myself to do at home when I am not kickboxing at the gym.
  • briebollenberg
    briebollenberg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing pretty good. I think I was down another lb this morning but I prefer to weigh myself at the gym and go off of that since that is what I used to start. Plus it forces me to get to the gym.
    I think I need to get a food scale though. I had carne asada this weekend and the serving size was 4 oz. So I really just had to guess. I hate not knowing for sure.
    I probably wont make it to the gym today, my 2 oldest threw up in the middle of the night, so I kept the oldest home from school. 5 hours later they both seem 100% fine. But I probably shouldn't take them to the gym childcare, as much as I want to. Maybe after hubby gets home I can sneak up there, but I'm not counting on it, he started 12 hours shifts today, was up at 3 am cleaning puke, and starts a school semester with 16 credits today. Blah! I suppose I can run up and down my stairs 40x.
  • mom2jrn
    mom2jrn Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm really loving this! It makes it so much easier than just "watching what I'm eating." I still hate exercising but like that I can keep track. But the best part is my husband is doing it as well and he's stuck with it for a week which is awesome for him!
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    128lbs, that is amazing!!!

Food Scale- I was considering this too, I hate to estimate ounces. Yesterday I just added up the calories of everything I used to make chili and then took what I made and separated it in half and then separated it in half again to get 1/4 of the calories. But for other things, I'm guessing. I do try to err on the lower side when it comes to quantity.

Kettle bells- oh my. I took a class at the gym in Nov.................WOW, it was a serious workout. I could not walk for 4 days. I found it very difficult, not from the aerobic/stamina stand point so much as the coordination and getting the moves right. It really focuses on using your lower body/core to lift and move the weights around.

Thankfully I took the "how to" class and the teacher spent a lot of time working with me on form. In the end I still could not imagine myself getting to the level to take the full class. At my gym you have to take the "how to" class before you can take the regular class because they don't want people swinging around 15lb kettle bells w/o knowing what they are doing.

Also, lighter weight is not always better when it comes to kettle bells. Since you are focusing on using your legs to lift (even when lifting the bell above your head), you can handle more weight because of the momentum from your lower body. The instructor showed me the different feeling when I went from 10 to 15lbs. The 15lbs was actually easier to control and get the form correct than the lighter weight.
    I think it would be an excellent workout if I could get the hang of it.
  • AJones1021
    AJones1021 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Shyanna - 128lbs - way to go!!!!!!!

I was considering a food scale also. A lady I work with works at WW and always offers to let us buy things using her 50% discount, so maybe I'll get one through there? Haven't read the reviews yet!

Kettle Bell - My Mom wants to take one of these classes (she's 112lbs, but wants to tone, such a tiny thing!). It looks like a butt-kickin' workout! I've never tried it, so no advice from here!

Brittany - ITA. It's nice to have support of people you "know" through here! I love coming on and seeing who's working out and it motivates me too!
  • McCoolMama
    McCoolMama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the WW food scale & I love it! A mom at preschool works the front desk & let me use her discount too. Awesome! It's great knowing im eating the exact portion sizes.
  • Kelgirl36
    Options
    I really like this site so far. I love that I can essentially eat whatever I want as long as I keep my calories low enough. I tried BFL a few years ago, but the concept of many small meals doesn't work well for me. I need to have a 400-600 calorie lunch and dinner with a few snacks, otherwise I feel hungry all the time. This site has been really great for helping me to realize what's actually in the foods I'm eating and to be much more careful about portion sizes. I've got 5 pounds down and ideally 25-30 more to go!
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cool, sounds like my kind of work out. There is no kettle bell work out at my gym but I see some good DVDs on Amazon and I see the reviews of some that look really good.
    128lbs, that is amazing!!!

Food Scale- I was considering this too, I hate to estimate ounces. Yesterday I just added up the calories of everything I used to make chili and then took what I made and separated it in half and then separated it in half again to get 1/4 of the calories. But for other things, I'm guessing. I do try to err on the lower side when it comes to quantity.

Kettle bells- oh my. I took a class at the gym in Nov.................WOW, it was a serious workout. I could not walk for 4 days. I found it very difficult, not from the aerobic/stamina stand point so much as the coordination and getting the moves right. It really focuses on using your lower body/core to lift and move the weights around.

Thankfully I took the "how to" class and the teacher spent a lot of time working with me on form. In the end I still could not imagine myself getting to the level to take the full class. At my gym you have to take the "how to" class before you can take the regular class because they don't want people swinging around 15lb kettle bells w/o knowing what they are doing.

Also, lighter weight is not always better when it comes to kettle bells. Since you are focusing on using your legs to lift (even when lifting the bell above your head), you can handle more weight because of the momentum from your lower body. The instructor showed me the different feeling when I went from 10 to 15lbs. The 15lbs was actually easier to control and get the form correct than the lighter weight.
    I think it would be an excellent workout if I could get the hang of it.