A little about Me:)

Options
Hi my name is Zen and I have MS. A lot of you are my friends and know a little about me already. Those who are not yet, lets Be! Feel free to add me as a friend I would love the support, friendship and understanding that comes with either having MS or knowing someone who does.

My Story
I am 33, diagnosed at 27. I have primary Progressive MS, but was first dainosised with relapsing remitting. The first two years I was on two disease modifiers but both Avonex and Compaxone really brought my quality of life down. The flu like side effects were a horrible experience for me, even after a time on each drug. I do though have a low tolerance for many types of medications and side effects usually seem to effect me. Once I was dainosied with Primary Progressive, I had already been off any sort of disease modifying therapy for a couple years.

I was dianosied after a episode of optic neuritis which came on suddenly at work while driving to see a patient. I was feeling very woozy and just plain exhausted that morning and pulled over and put my head between my knees. When I pulled my head back up I had total vision loss in my one eye. Very frightening.

ER, Lumbar puncture, MRI, later I was discharged from the ER and sent to a neurologist who after a VER, history, and more MRI's sat down with me to discuss the diagnosis of MS. I was diagnosed within three months. I also have disease called CMT which is categorized in the muscular dystrophys which I have had since I was young.

It's strange to say to people, but the diagnosis of MS was a kind of relief to me. I had been having what I now know were symptoms for almost two years prior. My vertigo was diagnosed on it's own way back in 1995. Other symptoms were just not fitting in the CMT category.

I was upset, mad for the first years. Really mad. But a lot was going on also in my life. I had just gotten divorced after 7 years just months prior to my diagnosis, I was finishing nursing school, while working for a local Hospice, and just trying to get my life re-organized. I realize now how strong I was/am for withstanding it all while having my body yank the floor out from under me.

It took MS and myself awhile to come to terms, and a little while longer to be at peace with it. I am now at peace with myself. All the changes I had to overcome, the inconvenient timing, (ha! timing and convenience are not my concerns any longer) are no longer eating at my happiness.

I am happy. I am strong. I have a fulfilling life which I am constantly working on and adding to. I also am weak some days. But I've learned so much with help of the many others with MS. I constantly learn. The greatest thing I've accomplished is becoming my own informed, strong advocate. I control my life. I can't say I had this much control before.

A little about me. :)

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. You are a very brave individual and I wish you all that is good. I always say that the more you can accept what life hand you the less power it has over you. We have MS - it does not have us!

:flowerforyou: