Training Chat

Options
UrbanRunner81
UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
Now that the holidays are over. What are your training plans for the year?

Races you hope to run?

Replies

• bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I've got my first half marathon coming up in March--New Orleans Rock & Roll Half. I'm still putting together the rest of my schedule but I'm thinking Joplin Memorial Half Marathon in May will be the next "big one".
  • juls262
    juls262 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm working towards a full in may- Ogden marathon. I read a blog today about someone setting a goal to run 12 races this year, one a month. I'm a little intrigued by that, but I haven't planned anything out.

My current race goals include two halfs, one in April and Oct, three tri's this summer, and of course the full :)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Currently in week four of Higdons Advanced 2 marathon plan. Im running London in April, beyond that i havent really planned. I have a few other races built into the training programme.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Last year I did a half in May, the year before one in july. Not sure what i will do this coming year. I would like to start putting in some longer distances now, I havn't done anything over 10K since probably late October.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My big race is a full in the beginning of May.
    I also plan to do a half at the end of march.

As for the rest of summer, I'm sure I'll pick up the occasional 5K & try to find some trail races in the half range.
  • jem304
    jem304 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to do my own Goofy Marathon - a half marathon the first day and a full marathon the second day. besides that I just want to keep my miles up around 35-40 per week
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Some of my husband's nieces have participated in a half-marathon in the past and have invited me to join in this year, so I am planning on that. I haven't done any races previously, except for one "fun run", I have just run on my own or with my husband. I don't generally run races because (a) I can't afford to pay entrance fees and (b) I don't compete on Sundays, which is when most races are held.

Pam
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have a few planned so far! My first race this year isn't until May though and it is a 10 Mile Road Race. Followed two weeks after that the Minneapolis Half Marathon.

June 30 I am excited to do my first Warrior Dash!!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for a 5 mile race on March 5.

Considering a half-marathon in early May.

Definitely doing a full in June - Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN. Will be my 3rd time there....love that run!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Definitely doing a full in June - Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN. Will be my 3rd time there....love that run!

I am going to put my name in for the half marathon lottery in Duluth that weekend ! I even booked my room "just in case" I get chosen lol...
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    First one I hope to do is a fun 5k trail run in the spring. It's called Dodge the Deer. Some dude dresses up like a deer, named Dodge of course, and runs around. There are a couple other characters too, including Dodge's girlfriend, some bad guy, etc.

My reason for wanting to do this, is I love this trail.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    officially started half training on Saturday - it's a variation of Higdon used by a new community run club. signed up for several shorter events, including a stair climb on the 21st of this month. Half marathons April 21 and the 1st weekend of May are the big events I'm working towards so far
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Hello, I did my first half in November and i've really missed the long runs since so I'm going to do the local Garioch half on march 18th. It looks quite hilly around miles 9-11 though :( I have also signed up for the balmoral 10km in April. You run on the Queen's estate in royal deeside (scotland) so it's a very popular one & calls itself 'the race with the hill'!! I had to walk up a bit of the hill last year so this year I'm aiming to to run the whole way. There is another castle run at crathes castle, a half, which is in September and I'd love to do it because that is where I take my girl guides camping! I will probably do the Fraserburgh half again in November since that was my first ever half last year and I loved it! Will do 5km parkruns and any local 10kms I can too. Racing can get expensive can't it!!
  • tjalt
    tjalt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in week 2 of Hal Higdon's Novice 2 marathon training. Have my 2nd marathon coming up on May 6 and my 4th half on March 4. Definitely doing things different this time around. More strength training and cross training. My goal is to run 4 halfs this year so will do another one in June and then 2 in the fall. Let's make 2012 are best running year yet!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I am going to put my name in for the half marathon lottery in Duluth that weekend ! I even booked my room "just in case" I get chosen lol...

Good luck! A friend of mine did the 1/2 last year. It runs along the same course as the full marathon....just starts 1/2 way and a bit earlier than the full.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have my first 10k race next Friday, and then I am going to attempt my first half marathon 3 weeks later. I hope I am ready!!! Would love any advice that anyone can give, I am doing Hal's Novice 1 program.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm running a half on 3/17 and am strongly considering rerunning one I did last year that would be on 4/30. In May I always run a 5k breast cancer run with 2 of my running buddies. Then I'm not sure which ones in the fall, but I may run 1 or 2 more halfs.