For Newbies, MFP net calories, working out info.

Options
Just for everyone's posterity, here's a little tid bit on how the net calories work.

I'm sharing because I didn't know and now that I do I figured a common post would be good.

When you sign up with MFP and choose how much weight you want to lose weather 1, 1.5, or 2lbs a week you are given a calorie goal to meet. When I signed up I was given a goal of 1510 per day to lose 1lb a week. That means for me to lose weight by diet alone I only need to consume 1510 calories.

I go to the gym a few times a week and burn 550 calories, If I've only consumed 1200 calories I now have a surplus, and my net calories consumed is 600ish.

What does that mean? According to what I have found out you need to eat back your workout calories until you meet the minimum 1200 calories for the day. My understanding is to not eat back those calories could cause starvation mode or metabolism issues

Does that make sense?

Replies

• cheekymommy
    Options
    Yes, I thought that is how it works.
  • Oneday150
    Oneday150 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I honestly had no clue... I worked so hard and now I know why I didnt lose anything...
  • lysistrataNix
    lysistrataNix Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been working hard too and have little to show for it, now I know :-)
  • mellowyellowof4
    Options
    I don't know exactly and though that is the science it always seems to work different for everybody. It does make sense though...I did WW before and I know they emphasized eating all of your points and that it would affect you negatively if you didn't. ...Also if you want to get really technical...I have a friend who is an engineer and she is constantly doing numbers. She wears her heart rate monitor all the time....knows her BMR ( I think that is what its called...the amount of calories you burn without doing anything))...calculates everything...b/c 3500 calories equal 1 lb so if she has a 3500 deficit she expects a loss of 1 lb..doesn't always work though- b/c our bodies are annoying!
  • kendie_mac
    kendie_mac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy to read this. I just read an article last night in Self magazine about how to calculate calories burned at rest for your weight/age/height. This paired with that really convinces me that it's okay to eat a bit more. In fact, eating 1200 calories & burning 900 in exercise might not be the best way to lose weight.

It's kinda scary. I got obese from eating more, so purposefully eating more (though more wisely) just feels wrong.