What do you do on the pads?

Options
Do you run, walk, dance, march, or whatever?

I generally march or dance without lifting my feet because I have had 2 knee surgeries and am afraid of the stress jogging might put on my knee.

Replies

• jullyn516
    jullyn516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The main thing is to just keep moving on the pads to keep your heart rate up. The pads are designed to minimize stress on your knees.

Julie
    (former Curves Circuit Coach of 5 years)
  • MzGrinch9250
    MzGrinch9250 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Since I'm on the muscle and strength and I was dealing with plantar fasciitis, I just swayed back and forth after really working hard on the machines. My podiatrist didn't want me jumping on my feet and to spend the least amount of time on my feet.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I usually just walk, or do moves from the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away The Pounds" Videos.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    Working the Afternoon Shift at Curves so I did Walk / Jog Intervals on the Recovery Boards for 45 minutes. Got almost 3 miles total!!
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think I need to work on spending more time on the recovery boards to increase the amount of cardiovascular. Using the SmartCard...sometimes I don't think I necessarily spend the full 30 seconds between machines. I need to strive to improve that for sure. I always get a great workout though...so no complaints there at all! We get out what we put in!
  • KetoMomRN
    KetoMomRN Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think I need to work on spending more time on the recovery boards to increase the amount of cardiovascular. Using the SmartCard...sometimes I don't think I necessarily spend the full 30 seconds between machines. I need to strive to improve that for sure. I always get a great workout though...so no complaints there at all! We get out what we put in!

That's EXACTLY what I tell people, it's what you put into it! As far as cardio, as long as your HR is up, don't stress about the full 30 seconds ;o)
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :smile: Or, after the Smart Key says "End" you can continue to walk / jog on the Boards as long as you want to.
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    for some reason either my smart key doesn't work or the machines at my curves are ALL not set up for it
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I jog in place.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    So far, I have been just marching in place. But I want to get to a point where I can jog.
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello.....we are very lucky and have great coaches. They aren't pushy or even overly 'perfect' specimens, but they are friendly, fun and willing to help us all. They keep us on track with our recovery board routines, especially as my brain sometimes just won't go into gear so early in the day. Then of course we girls all help each other out when we find ourselves stuck for an idea.
    We jog and stretch and bend and twist and jump, skip rope and hula hoop (not on the boards of course), anything that keeps us moving. Most of these exercises can be done at just about any level so even someone with bad knees for example can join in.
    It's quite nice to have all the girls working out on the same recovery routine.....very motivating and friendly atmosphere.
    They advise us to follow a leg centred machine with an arm centred recovery exercise and so on.....it's stressed that recovery boards are just that.....allowing muscle to rest while keeping HR up.
    It's a lot about having fun........
    Oh and don't forget about crunches.....VERY good! The tummy muscles and skin will thank you.
  • koulamara
    koulamara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Actually we have great coaches too!!! I am surprised with the question because we do not choose by ourselves what to do on the pads. There are certain exercises at each pad, determined by the coaches. They change them almost every month so that we do not get bored. Actually they take into account our opinion (if we like some of them or "detest" other). Along with the changes of the pads, they change the sequence of the machines too.
  • LJCannon
    Options
    When I went to the Curves in Las Vegas, they had a paper on the floor in front of each Recovery Board with a different suggested activity for that Board. I believe that they changed them periodically.
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We don't have to follow our coaches and somewhere around are printed sheets with recovery board suggestions, the owner's granddaughter came in for a couple of days during the school holidays and was kept amused by selecting which of these exercises should be at placed different recovery stations. She in turn kept us amused....she had to perform them all for us of course, very cute with hair down to her knees and bopping around like only a pre-teen can.
    They moved the machines around after Christmas....this confused some of us but apparently it is better to mix it up sometimes. It's not so good to let your system get into a set routine for too long we keep getting reminded.:smile::happy:
  • BadHeatherNo
    BadHeatherNo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Our curves doesn't have any specific exercises that you need to do on the boards, just whatever we feel like doing. I usually march in place, maybe do some knee lifts, jog a little if my heart rate is on the low side. I get my major cardio in through zumba.
  • naedaily
    naedaily Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So here in Japan, the curves have specific exercises to help prepare your body for the movements of the next machine. My foreign buddies and I ignore that though as we don't get the most out of the recovery boards if we just stand there engaging our core and slightly moving our arms sideways. I make the most of the recovery boards, in fact I don't call them recovery boards at all. I work them just as fast as I work the machines. I crouch down low so I engage my thighs and hit the boards are a fast passed jog. My feet hardly leave the board. I am for speed and raising my heart rate, or maintaining it depending on the situation. This kind of intensity is not much of an option for many people but I still thought I would put it in here and share with you what I do. xoxo
  • LJCannon
    Options
    :heart: One of the BEST Things about Curves is how you can adapt it to fit Your Own Fitness Level.
    :flowerforyou: Naedaily, I think you are the first Curves member from Japan that I have met!! Welcome to the Thread!! Did you join the Curves Divas Group?
  • BadHeatherNo
    BadHeatherNo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of weird. If I try to jog or anything fast on the pads, after warmup, my heart rate goes over what it's supposed to be. To keep it within target zone, I march. I always feel lazy though, marching. lol Everyone else is jogging, jumping, or whatever.
  • Samiam1961
    Samiam1961 Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I've got this video and totally forgot about it...Leslie Sansone "Walk Away The Pounds" Videos. Gonna start it up again!!! Thanks