OMG! What have you been shocked to learn the calories of?

Options
leahmfunk
leahmfunk Posts: 13 Member
I always thought I was eating a "healthy" lunch from Arby's on the days I work in the office. I just now figured out the calories in my meal... my jaw was on the floor! I was shocked to realize I was eating 1,660 calories just for my lunch!!!!! That is more than I need in a whole day. No wonder I've gained a few lbs since Sept. Yikes. I had no idea the turkey sandwich I was eating had so many calories!! I used their website to figure out a better selection for me from here on out!

Replies

• kimnmiah
    Options
    I was at target yesterday and wanted a salty snack. I was going to get a small popcorn from the cafe but decided to look it up first. Glad I did. It was something like 400 calories. Now that I realize what I can eat for 400 calories I'm not willing to waste them so easily. I ended up getting some special k cracker chips at 110 calories and was satisfied.
  • tara_lynne12
    Options
    I had the same revalation when I had the crispy chicken tacos from Chillis. It was over 1600 calories for 3 little tacos that don't even fill me. They were more than the loaded potatoes I also had. I have definitely been paying more attention since joining myfitnesspal.
  • Treadababy
    Options
    Everything on the Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill shocked me! Even the grilled salmon (pieces...not a whole piece of salmon) with fresh cabbage, etc...was over 500 calories! WTH?
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food is the worst. Now if it is not grilled with no sauce or anything, I just don't get it. You never know if it was slathered in butter or something. Tonight we go out for sushi and I plan to get mostly raw fish and vegetables to keep my calories down. I can splurge a little on rice since I did well in exercise today and I do eat up to 200 to 300 of the exercise calories if I burned 700+.
  • Treadababy
    Options
    CJ asked for some Beef Summer Sausage. He likes it with Ritz crackers. I was giving him the *what-for* for eating some. Do you know HOW many calories is in that crap? :noway: He said, "Yup. 2 ounces is 140 calories!" I looked at the wrapper he was right! I cut off a good chunk. Weighed it. It wasn't EVEN 2 ounces! So, if you needed a salty treat... Try that. Not the healthiest choice. But. Sometimes...ya just gotta be naughty :devil:
  • mom2brookeandblake
    Options
    Counting calories has been a real eye opener for me. Dh and I are doing this together and have never really realized how many calories we spent each day on regular pop. It is such a waste. I would much rather eat something than drink my calories away :) also I never realized how bad my mc Donald's frappe's were. Holy crap my dd and I now call them fatte's

Med Mocha Frappe : 560 calories And 24 grams fat .
    I am done with them
    Shannon
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My homemade chocolate chip cookies have 110 calories PER COOKIE. no wonder I'm fat. I'd eat 4 or 5 at a time. Yikes!
  • MommaBranam
    Options
    A Costco hot dog is 500 calories! Too bad I didn't read that before I ate one! oops
  • leahmfunk
    leahmfunk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    luvsdeals- I'm totally the same way! Before MFP, I would have eaten 4-5 at a time like you said....now it would be a "treat" to have 1 for the day! It is so eye opening for me to actually count calories. I just can't believe what I used to eat before. No wonder my weight has crept up to 200+ (hightest I've ever been in my life!)

mommabranam- I'm sure I would have eaten 2 for my lunch!!!

I realized I hate drinking away my calories also. I almost always drink water for everything now (besides morning coffee) because I hate "wasting" my calories on drinks.