Using a slo cooker

Options
geecee77
geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
I've recently bought a slo cooker, but haven't got any recipes, or know the length of time various meats and veg take to cook.

Any recipes or cooking guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gill x

Replies

• missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Slow cookers are great for cooking joints of meat in. You just add a little water (a tablespoon) and put the meat in on low heat for 6-7 hours. The house smells glorious as the meat starts to heat up and cook, and it's ever so tender when you take it out of the cooker, like falling off the bone tender. This is mainly what I use mine for.
  • cheeki119
    cheeki119 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    go to cheep book shops you can pick up recipie books for £1 x
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    There are loads on here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=490232&postcount=9
    & http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=1332010

I love my SC haven't used it for ages though :embarassed:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    We use our slow cooker a lot. Great if you're out at work all day. Just bung some meat & veg in and a very little liquid and set to auto. Switch on as you go out the door in the morning and when you come home in the evening dinner's ready.

Because of the way it cooks, you don't need oil or fat and indeed the liquid from the meat & veggies will multiply into a lovely gravy.

Simples!
  • gixy72
    gixy72 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    i cook veg soups and stew, curry, whole chickens, and i am posh i have 2 slow cookers.. my oldest is massive brill for big family size dishes, the other is a pan that sits on a hot plate. love them both.
    rice pudding is very nice in it too.
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas folks, will be trying then out :)
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I just shove everything into mine, with less liquid than you think (you can always top up!) and leave it be.
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    Mine is in the cupboard somewhere, got to dig it out...

Used it several times when I got it but... now living by myself, it is a normal size, 6 litre thingy so....
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    ...So you make extra and freeze it! :happy: Saves you cooking when in a hurry/cba
  • Anna_43
    Options
    Yeah... got to dig it out first though :)

And how on earth do you calculate calories while using a slow cooker? Add everything you chock into it and divide in portions?

By the way, this is very good, each receipe has a full colour photo - great.. hate trying something new when there is no photo of what it supposed to look like :)

51xMiTr54QL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Only £3.59 on Amazon
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    Yeah, I guess so? Same as if you were cooking a meal for 4. I mainly use mine for soups and casseroles but you can cook a whole host of things in there.
  • Anna_43
    Options
    I know I know.. give me few days, just digged my stepper out from the sme cupboard only yesterday ;)
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you can work out kcal per serving using recipe section of diary, just add all your ingredients and the number of portions you'really gonna divide it into, I label the recipe in 'my recipes' with the date and write this on the tub for the freezer with a CD pen, then I just add to diary when I eat it. perfect portion control.
    I portion it up straight away when it's ready so I'm not tempted to just sneak a bit more!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've recently started using a slow cooker so I can fit the gym in after work and not worry about cooking before going out again to my evening activities. I live on my own so end up freezing it in individual portion sizes. Only thing I've not worked out yet is how to reheat for best results, as it is cooked using less liquid than normal recipes it is much drier when you defrost it. Any ideas?
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    Are you microwaving it to reheat? If so, just bob a teaspoon or two of water in there with it when you reheat it. Usually works OK for me. I know some people put a shallow cup of water in the microwave with the food to hydrate the air as it were whilst microwaving too.

I just stick to soups and casseroles :laugh:
  • chocs_away
    chocs_away Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello - I love the slow cooker, so nice when you get in from work and it is waiting for you.

This weekend I made this soup : http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-butternut-squash-soup-recipe.html

The picture isn't too good, but it made 6 portions at around 200cals a portion (according to MFP recipe function).

Last week I had a joint of Topside of Beef (from the reduced section of the supermarket, trying to be frugal). I cooked down some onions in a pan, and browned the meat. Added a can of guiness and some stock and let the alcohol burn off on the hob . Then in the slow cooker put turnip, parsnip, carrot, cabbage all around the meat. Again, made about 6 portions and pretty healthy. All the veg already cooked as well as the meat.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Are you microwaving it to reheat? If so, just bob a teaspoon or two of water in there with it when you reheat it. Usually works OK for me. I know some people put a shallow cup of water in the microwave with the food to hydrate the air as it were whilst microwaving too.

Thanks for that :)

Last night it was a chicken casserole and I reheated it on the hob in a small lidded saucepan. I put a little bit of water in but it made the flavour a bit blander. What do you reckon to putting a tiny bit of chicken stock granules in with the water? Is microwave a better way of reheating frozen slow-cooker meals?
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    I usually microwave to reheat as I prefer to make sure everything's hotter than the sun right through to the middle :laugh: (and it's quicker and you don't lose as much moisture as you do when heating on the hob)
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of buying a Slow cooker, so though I would bump this thread.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Do it - you can make properly yummy casseroles, roasts etc - and freeze loads for quick meals so you can fit more exercise in, we know how much of a slacker you are with your exercise - haha ;-)