any gay parents out there?

Options
13»

Replies

• serenity920
    serenity920 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My partner and I have 4 kids (10, 10, 6 and 4). I carried the twins and she carried the other 2 (I'm more efficient and knocked mine out in one pregnancy:) ).

Thats hysterical.... My wife says that as well if your having more than oone be efficient and do it at once!!!
    However i did it the old fashioned way - one at a time. Our Boys are 21, 19 and 9 and I sometime get an emply nest-ish feeling, but I comr to my senses. I will wait for granddaughters(not for another decade please!!!!)
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have an 11 yr old son and an 8 yr old daughter from previous relationships with men. My girlfriend shares the responsiblity of raising them with me. Their fathers are in their lives. Let me tell you, it's interesting for sure. My children don't care that we are together. My son thinks of her as a friend, not just "mom's girlfriend". My daughter says that she is lucky because she has 3 moms: me, my girlfriend and her stepmom at her dad's house. I got a ring last week, not a proposal, just a right hand ring and my daughter's reaction was, "Does that mean that y'all are getting married?!" I told her no and she replied with "Dang it! I want y'all to hurry up and get married already. We can go somewhere so you can do it for real and I want to be your bridesmaid!" We live in South Carolina, so not only can we not get married here, but about half of the population is NOT okay with it. However, the kids both have friends come over to spend the night all of the time & I am completely up front with their parents that we are a lesbian couple and that I want to be sure that they are okay with that beforehand. So far I have yet to have one parent change their mind about letting their child spend the night with us or go places with us.

On the bright side, I am happier than I have ever been. My gf and I both have excellent government jobs (she's a cop!) and we are completely out to anyone that asks. I actually have our family portrait sitting on my desk for all to see. The kids go to public school and are involved in recreational sports. All of the teachers & admin at school are on a first name basis with us and I was actually named Parent of the Week twice within the past 6 months. My gf was asked to help coach her T-ball team 2 years ago.

It isn't all rainbows and smiles, though. The general public will get to you if you let them. We hear ridicule everywhere that we go from complete strangers and my own cousin turned me away from the church that we grew up in together. Her husband is the pastor now and she informed me that if I brought my kids there that they would be taught that I am a sinner and that they should be praying for me to change my lifestyle. Needless to say we will NEVER step foot in that church again. We have a church now that is wonderful & the pastor is totally fine with our family. I also catch it quite often from the dads. My daughter tells me constantly that when she is at his house that he talks badly about me and my gf, i.e. that she shouldn't live with us because we are gay. He actually accused me of trying to make her a lesbian. I have learned to just let it roll off of my back like water on a duck. He doesn't realize that he isn't hurting me. He is only hurting his relationship with his daughter. My son has been taught at his dad's house that I am a sinner and I am going to Hell because it says so in The Bible. That is why it is so important to me to show him that not every person of faith is against us.

Wow...sorry for writing so much. Once I get started on this subject I can't stop.

So, for the ones that do have kids: You will have good days & bad, but you have to keep your head up, be proud of the amazingly fearful person that you are and raise open-minded, accepting & loving children. For the ones of you that don't: Do not EVER let society place fear upon your heart. You are as deserving as any other human being to have children.

:heart:

Huge hugs! I'm from New Orleans, I lived in North Carolina and Georgia. I know South Carolina well. You inspire me. Nice to read such an open and authentic post.

Single *kitten* mom to one amazing 6 yo daughter.
    RW
  • Steve29Guy
    Options
    My partner and I have been together for 9 1/2 years and we have 4 adopted boys ages 2, 4, 6, and 9. They are biological brothers and they have filled a part of my life that was always missing. I was meant to be a dad and I'm loving every minute. I want to get healthy for my boys.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I am a pansexual single mother of a 3 year old little boy.

I havent brought my son into any relationship with me yet other then his father (my ex) but i hope when or if the time rises he will be as open minded as his mommy because thats how I am raising him to be. :o)
  • ideliver
    ideliver Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So great to see so many lgbt-led families out there! My partner and I have an 18-month-old and are starting the process to adopt again. Like many, parenthood has not been very good for the waistline, so I'm determined to start my 30's on the right foot!
  • Steve29Guy
    Options
    I turned 30 last year and we adopted our boys last year. I can't believe how much weight I put on once the kids arrived.
  • whgk11
    whgk11 Posts: 2
    Options
    i hate when people ask which one is the mom. my wife and i just say we both are we dnt tell people who the birth mom is.
  • firefly4898
    Options
    Hi,
    My Partner & I,have will have been together 14yrs on April 22nd,we are lesbian parents.I had my son in a previous engagement,but we are raising him together.He will be 14 on April 8th.I am his Mom,& she is his Ms.Tracy,she plays the role of his Father..who is deceased now,but was never a part of his life (by choice) anyway.He says she is a Wom_Man! haha,she is everything a Father should be plus more.The only real challenges we have faced as a "gay" family,is that we live in a very small town in Western Kentucky,and it is like this.We are very proud of who and what we are,and will not lie if confronted,but we keep it on the down low for our son's sake.I mean people here I know must know,but it is just not talked about ya know.We have just never wanted other parents to keep their child from being friends with our child,because of us.So as parents,we try and make the right choices for our son.Thus far things are good,never any problems.We are currently feeling differently though,and just feel that it is so unfair that our son can not openly & freely be proud of his parents,the same way other children are proud of their parents! So,this is an issue we are currently dealing with...haha.
  • Lisacherryiceuk
    Lisacherryiceuk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have two kids (with my ex husband ) and have been with my partner 5 years my kids are 12 and 7 and they get picked on :( so hard
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a mom to a 14 year old boy, a 21 year old girl and 24 year old girl. :) I am bisexual and they love me just as I am.
  • ktpurry
    ktpurry Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My mommys have been together 28 years, i'm 19 and was a sperm donation baby from a bank.
    I've never had any issues growing up with gay moms, everyone loves them and if i run into an old friend, they will immediately ask how my moms are, i think they just like saying moms. lol Even my boyfriend that has known my family 7 years still makes harmless lesbian moms comments (:
    Both my moms are butch, and have told me we have a few family members we no longer talk to because they called me an "it" because i have lesbian mothers raising me.
  • brayaddie
    brayaddie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    kypurry, that is sad :mad: :sad: that you are refered to as an "it" child, as if you had a decision in your making. I always hoped that my (our) children will always be accepted & loved! Good Luck to you!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I am pansexual and I have a 3 year old son.

At the moment I am a single mommy.

HOWEVER i have not had a girlfriend since before I got prego with my son.

I do hope that it if was to happen in the future that my son would grow up to b understanding and accepting as that is how I am teaching him to be.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    hey - gay Dad here as well. Two kids actually both girls. I started working out with them back in October. In better shape now but weight's not dropping off like i'd like it to. Take it as it comes!
  • ymug2001
    ymug2001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: How cute! that she calls your wife her "bonus mom" It must be an amazing feeling
    I have a daughter who's 7, and who calls my wife her "bonus mom".
    We're in the process of having a child together now, that my wife will carry.

I have never had any problems with being a gay parent, but then again I live in Scandinavia, and society here is really just very liberal when it come to homosexuality. No one in school or in the neighbourhood as ever said anything negative to my daughter, most people don't seem to notice that we're different.
  • ymug2001
    Options
    Hearing your experience helps me a lot in all the questions I have about how my daughter might react. Thank you for sharing:smile:
  • ymug2001
    Options
    Hearing your experience helps me a lot in all the questions I have about how my daughter might react. Thank you for sharing
    My mommys have been together 28 years, i'm 19 and was a sperm donation baby from a bank.
    I've never had any issues growing up with gay moms, everyone loves them and if i run into an old friend, they will immediately ask how my moms are, i think they just like saying moms. lol Even my boyfriend that has known my family 7 years still makes harmless lesbian moms comments (:
    Both my moms are butch, and have told me we have a few family members we no longer talk to because they called me an "it" because i have lesbian mothers raising me.
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have no kids, but reading the post about your families has made my day! Congrats to all of you!
  • psportelli
    psportelli Posts: 2
    Options
    My partner and I adopted our son when he was just two days old. We took him home from the hospital on Christmas day 2007. It has been the best thing in the world for us. Obviously being a parent, either gay or straight, has it's own challenges but the love you give and receive is priceless. So far, I have found all the parents of my son's preschool very supportive (at least superficially). Watching our son grow and learn and helping him on his journey is the most rewarding and fulfilling job as a parent and it out weighs any other the challenges.
  • marieanneranaldi
    Options
    hi my gf and myself bring up her 17 month old daughter,her x has her two boys she see them whenever she wants,my only personal feeling are that there better off with there mother,dont get me wrong but he has a new girlfriend and i feel there now an inconvince to his new girlfriend now.