10 Reasons to Give Up Grains

Options
DonnaLFitz
DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
http://nourishedkitchen.com/against-the-grain-10-reasons-to-give-up-grains/

This article appeared in my newsfeed, posted by classyhoney. I thought it was very informative, and especially helpful to those of us on the 17DD who are struggling with carb addiction and sensitivity. This gives a lot of basic information about the effects that grains have on our bodies.

It still doesn't mean that we have to give them up completely and forever, but it does provide motivation for reducing our intake considerably -- and keeping it there!

While I love my homemade whole wheat and rye breads, I never got on the bandwagon for "whole grain" everything.

In fact, as a result of detoxing with the Accelerate cycle of the 17DD, I discovered that a number of the "good carbs" create havoc in my system when I add them back in. Oatmeal, for one, in any form. I also suspect corn and soy, so even when I eat carbs, I stay away from those.

In my particular case, eliminating all starches for a prolonged period of time (3 months), significantly decreased the inflammation in all of my joints: hip, ankle, foot, back, neck, hands, elbows. The stiffness that has been creeping up on my for the last few years was almost completely gone.

Despite that, I am still tempted by my favorite carb foods. I love fresh made bread with butter and homemade cookies. But I also love not being in pain all the time.

It's an important consideration.

Read the article. See for yourself.

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Looks like people really don't want to hear what the article has to say... Which in itself, is very revealing.

We, as a society, are addicted to carbs. We may ditch them temporarily to lose weight, but the thought of giving them up entirely -- and forever! -- is too much to bear.

I like grains, too. I love LOVE my homemade 9-grain and rye breads. There is nothing more satisfying. I hope that one day I will be able to enjoy a slice or two each day without repercussion.

But for me, eating starches creates a never-ending cycle of craving and indulging.

That's why I am trying to stay off grains and starches for as long a period as I can. I want the habit broken. The cravings disappear within just a week of staying off them, but the habit and the emotional and mental desire for them remains.

I've been off starches (again, since the holidays) for almost 3 weeks. The pain in my joints, back, and neck is GREATLY
    reduced. I'm sleeping better and longer.

I know nobody wants to give up pizza (or bagels or rice or ...) forever. But the longer you go without it, the more you will be able to see the effect that the starches/grains have had on your body.

You won't know until you try.

Younger readers, the effects won't be as obvious to you.

But if you are older and have any joint stiffness or pain, you gotta try this.