Do BL TV contestants eat back exercise calories?

Options
StrongGwen
StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
Been following the discussion about whether or not to eat back your exercise calories. Most say yes and many leave a little cushion. It seems to contradict what my brain tells me, but my brain got me into this shape so it makes sense to do it differently. BL contestants work out like 8 hrs/ day so surely they can't be eating that much food...is that why they post such big numbers on the ranch?

Replies

• iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that, but I do know that they get a cheat meal once a week!
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That would be interesting to find out, but they have their own nutritionists so I am sure they are getting exactly what they need for their journey. I personally see better results when I average 1700-1800 calories and do my work out which allots me 2000-2200 calories for the day :)
  • StrongGwen
    Options
    maybe I need to update my profile now that I'm working out regularly and maybe eat more to lose more?? makes my brain seize up to think that way, but I'm stuck not losing right now.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I found the following at http://rebeccascritchfield.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/science-behind-the-biggest-loser-diet/

First off, they both admitted upfront that one of the reasons the people lose so much weight consistently is because of their new environment. All the barriers that usually exist to behavior change (job/life stresses, family and friends, lack of time, lack of knowledge about what to do) have been removed. Their new job is to exercise, learn about good nutrition habits, and practice them. This is one of the keys to their success. They get enough time in the new environment that once they leave they have enough knowledge and motivation to keep it going… Essentially, they transform their lifestyle. That said, “Biggest Loser” success is within everyone’s reach. Read on to find out more!

Biggest Loser Diet
    modified, low carbohydrate diet 45% of calories from carbohydrates (mostly fruits, vegetables and some whole grains), 30% of calories from protein, and 25% of calories from healthy fats or oils (seeds, nuts, avocado, olive oil)
    no “white stuff”
    whole foods, elemental ingredients
    4-3-2-1: daily 4 cups minimum of fruits and vegetables, 3 servings of healthy proteins (e.g. fish, skinless chicken breast, 93% lean ground turkey), 2 servings of whole grains, and 1 serving of healthy fat.
    Aim for everyone to have 1 serving of fish daily.
    There is room for 1 optional treat per day.
    Cereals must have minimum 5 grams of fiber per serving and less than 5 grams of sugar per serving. This limits the cereals to certain oatmeals, bran cereals, or other high fiber cereals on the market.
    Goal of 7 calories per pound of body weight for daily caloric intake. This is recalculated after significant weight loss.
    Participants are provided with calorie counting resources and a food and exercise diary which they must maintain daily. This helps to raise awareness of past behaviors and develops an understanding for calorie balance through diet and exercise.
    Their diets are analyzed daily by the show’s registered dietitian / nutritionist. The nutritionist reported a 70% adherence to the diet. The nutritionist also reported as a result of the diet contestents experience decreased risk for diabetes because the measure that is used to diagnose diabetes decreases from “at risk” to a healthy range.
    Biggest Loser Exercise
    Goal is 7 hours per week of exercise
    Incorporate weight training, coaching, teamwork, and competition
    Typical Week at the Ranch
    Before getting started, participants undergo extensive medical tests, including a physical, stress test, DEXA (to measure accurately percent body fat and lean mass), and “Bod Pod” (to measure resting metabolic rate)
    Participants also undergo psychological evaluation and the support network at home is briefed on the program so they know what to expect when the person returns home.
    All participants get a full nutrition consult, including a week of food journals review. They discuss any GI symptoms they are having. They discuss eating schedules and cooking and shopping strategies.
    Common Denominators
    In 3 seasons, they found the contestants shared many characteristics, including:
    no idea of the number of calories they need or what they actually consume
    most skip breakfast and snacks and let a long time go between meals
    most consume very little fruits and vegetables
    most are not getting enough protein, and what they do get is high in saturated fat
    most get very little whole grains
    most have too much “white stuff” (sugar, refined flour)
    little planning of meals, mostly on-the-go eating and dining out
    most are meeting their daily caloric needs through beverages alone (e.g. caloric sodas, juices and fruit punch)
    many consume very little water
    nearly all reported limited to no exercise
    nearly all prioritize everything and everyone else in their life ahead of their own health
    I found the common denominators particularly insightful. It is easy to see why they are struggling with their weight when you look at behaviors they have in common. The goal of the Biggest Loser is to restructure that lifestyle and get them on the path to better health and wellness.
  • bromax
    bromax Posts: 12
    Options
    so are we supposed to eat the calories we burned or leave a calorie deficit???
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    so are we supposed to eat the calories we burned or leave a calorie deficit???

Utlimately it depends on your body. I don't eat back all of my calories most days and that works for me. I try to stay within a range of 1500 - 1800 depending on what I do at the gym. It works for me. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your question. You have to do what your body tells you it needs. Don't over-think it.
  • StrongGwen
    Options
    Wonderful information--Thanks!
  • dancing_cat
    dancing_cat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting. On TV it looks like they are doing way more than 7hrs a week of exercise. I imagined they were doing at least 2 hours a day if not more!