Airplane seatbelt extender

Options
Cheryl_66
Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
I know this may not seem like a big deal to anyone, but I have used a seatbelt extention on planes for at least the last ten years.
Even as recently as last August. This last trip, I don't know why I even tried, but I actually didn't need one. It was a
very close call but it fit. It was nice not having to ask for the extension or hiding the belt with my jacket hoping the
flight attendant didn't notice. I still have a bit to go to use the tray table though. It went all the way down yesterday only because I
was in an "Even More Legroom" seat on JetBlue. BTW, JetBlue has the most comfortable seats. I have this fear of Southwest kicking me off a flight.

Replies

• Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Nice one. you say that it isnt a really big thing, but it is. its a goal of mine and i'll be delighted when i no longer have to ask for it. I love travvelling, but at th eminute i travel as little as possibel because i hate asking for the belt extender.
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone in the seatbelt anxiety club! I was pretty happy about and to me it was important. Last august, I used my car seatbelt without the extender. Other small wins, sat in a booth in a restaurant. I want to go to the theater (not movies) but I KNOW those seats are small. The last time I went, I saw Wicked but I couldn't even sit on the edge of the seat. It was awful. Kathy griffin is next weekend (no one to go with :( ). My goal will now be to see Book of Morman when it comes to Chicago.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    That should have made you feel great! I really look forward tot he day that I can say the same thing.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    congratulations!! That is a HUGE thing to accomplish! I know I can't WAIT until I can fly without being super nervous of getting moved to another flight or asking for an extender.
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I go thru thhe same thing....hiding the seatbelt with my jacket, seatbelt extender, etc.! I currently have a pic of an airplane seat taped to my cell phone as a reminder of my upcoming trip to South America....I really don't want to have to buy two plane tickets!

Congratulations!
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I hate airplane travel because the seats are so uncomfortable. I have not been out to California to see my brother for over 5 years, mainly because I hate the air plane seats. I look forward to when I can fit in a restaurant booth, and buckle the seat-belt in my sisters car. Maybe then I will be able to fit in an airplane seat with out physical and emotional discomfort .
  • kimmisatch
    Options
    That's awesome - and is a big deal because it can be quite off putting for someone wanting to fly.
    The tray tables suck though - they don't give much leeway at all.
    I hadn't thought about it but I look forward to being comfy in seats like that too.
  • Urquharte
    Options
    I'm with you! I hate having to ask for the extender, so when my husband and I won a trip to Barcelona (yes, WON a trip!!), I decided I was going to buy my own seat belt extender. I found it on Amazon and it fits all belts except Southwest. We traveled earlier this month and it was great to just be able to pull out my own seat belt extender without having to ask a flight attendant or feel embarrassed. I will be flying again in April, and I am hoping that by then I won't have to use it and can put it up for sale on Ebay! :)
  • horndame
    horndame Posts: 16
    Options
    ACK! Double ack! I love Kathy Griffin. Saw her here in CA. And Book of Mormon? I would so go with you! :bigsmile: But the tickets in LA or SF are CRAZY expensive, so I will have to wait awhile.

Yeah, the extenders...I totally understand! I've been flying more lately and I was fine until I did an American Airlines flight and had to ask for one, but they were super polite about it. I didn't need it on Delta or Virgin Australia (I guess bigger airplanes, bigger seats). My big fear was going to Australia with my family...I was scared I wouldn't fit into the bathroom and it's a 15 hour flight! The first thing I did was put my stuff down and go into the bathroom to make sure I could use it. I came out and was like, WHEW! Yep, we can take this trip now!:happy:

I still have a long way to go but it is great to sit in a booth instead of having to ask for a table. I went to the movies last Friday and it wasn't super roomy but those giant cup holders didn't make permanent indentations into my sides for once, so yahoo!

It's these little triumphs that a lot of people can't truly understand. The "normal," every day stuff that people take for granted. Now...to fit on an amusement park ride...
  • shannonthegreek
    Options
    That is an amazing accomplishment! I can't WAIT until I can feel comfortable in a plane seat. The whole experience of flying makes me so anxious, and being able to fly whenever would be great. I can't wait until I can go see my best friend in Chicago
  • ruckus2
    ruckus2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So happy to find this thread. No one I know understands how this feels. At least once a year I have to fly to a conference and this year I know I might be too big for the seat. I tried to tell my boss to let someone else go this year in my place. It didn't work. She knows I need to go to the conference - how do you explain that you are too heavy to fly? Yeah, so that's pretty much my motivation right now. I want to be able to sit in the seat - I know it won't be comfortable and I'll need a belt extender...I just want to fit. And maybe next year I won't need an extender.
  • redsohare
    redsohare Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My mom is a flight attendant... and I've actually borrowed her demo seat belt so i didnt have to ask for an extender. It was horrible. But the seats are DEFINITELY feeling better!!! :)
  • rawebe
    rawebe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OMG! you don't know how excited I was to read this post! This year was the first year I did not need an extension. I was traveling with my boss to D.C. and I gladly proclaimed that I no longer needed an extension. She was so elated for me (all 120 lbs of her). It's these small things that are taken for granted that are such an accomplishment.
  • Lindsey224539
    Options
    This is such an amazing accomplishment! I HATE asking for an extender on the plane, I have even contemplated just taking one so I always have it lol.
  • cjausten
    cjausten Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, the seatbelt extender, the chairs that hurt, booths in a restaurant, even sitting on a plastic chair without worrying that it will break! These are all things (as well as many more) that anyone with our amount of weight to lose,completely understand. It's so embarrassing and uncomfortable. It is a HUGE I mean HUGE accomplishment to not have to ask for an extender...celebrate it! You rock! You are worthy! You deserve health and happiness. We all do! Keep sharing every accomplishment, it helps motivate others...like me~!

PS...I just joined this group and would love some friends!!!
  • theashsplash
    theashsplash Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love to know that my insecurites are not completely crazy! I haven't flown in nearly 6 years because I'm so scared of not fitting in one seat or needing a seat extender. The last time I flew on AA the flight attendant was very nice and discreet about the extender, but on my return flight the flight attendant kind of threw it to me in front of everyone. I was mortified! My sister lives in NY and I've taken the train and driven all the way from Texas to visit just so I could avoid the plane. I can't wait for the day I no longer have to worry about things like that!
  • AdenaJ
    AdenaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That is definitely something to be proud of. I flew for the first time last summer when I was at (or very close to) my heaviest weight ever, so I know how uncomfortable it can be – both physically and mentally – when you can't buckle your seat belt.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful....congrats!! great job, keep up the good work!